Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Getting TQS Status outside of the EEA

Getting TQS Status outside of the EEA

Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

eggstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting TQS Status outside of the EEA

Hello folks,

I am a British citizen by descent, I also hold Spanish and Mexican passports and will apply for Canadian citizenship in ~6 months.

I'm currently finishing my bachelor of commerce in Canada but I dislike the subject, I went into it thinking exclusively of the potential to make money but I burned out because I am not passionate about the business world. I was a teaching assistant and a tutor and have found that I would much rather teach than work at a cubicle for the rest of my life.

In Canada we have what's called an after degree Bachelor of Education, which are two year full-time programs that mix in in class experience along with practicum alongside teachers in schools. Ideally I would like to not only teach in Canada but in the UK as well. I have looked at the PGCE programs in the UK as well as other ways at achieving the TQS.

Now my question is this, would I be able to achieve TQS solely with my after degree bachelor's or would I need additional work experience as a teacher in Canada before receiving TQS, or would I need to do a PGCE no matter what?

Additionally what are your opinions regarding my options, is PGCE better than doing a two year after degree bachelor's?
I could also go to school in Spain and then come to the UK.

If it's of any help if I were to take the PCGE or any other UK based way of achieving TQS and then came back to teach in Canada I would need to go through a specific program to fill in the gaps that takes roughly a year.

Sorry for the long post but I really want to find as much information as I can before I make a decision and with enough time to plan in case I have to move as soon as I finish my degree. Also feel free to share similar experiences if you've had them.