Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Originally Posted by smithyrocks
Austrailia_Bound,

Some really interestesting things to consider, thanks. I was just frustrated from previous posts about the idea of having to wait two years for a perm visa and thought I 'd rather at least be in Oz for two years.

There is so much to consider, at the moment I'm not aware of any states offering sponsorship, I was just looking at options. I think we're going to look at starting the Visa process now.

Can I also ask (off topic a bit now but assuming from previous posts somebody could answer), how did people go about getting mortgages? I think (if visa all ok etc) we'd rent at first to check we were happy with area and then buy once we'd been there a bit.

Also- if people have struggled to get teaching jobs when they first went over, what did you do while waiting to get one? Were you able to find a different job to tide you over? Thanks again for all the responses, really helpful as there is so much to consider.
Doing supply work is quiet normal & gets you known at schools for when positions become available, plenty of agencies & plenty of work in certain areas. Are plenty of jobs other available, dependant on what you want to do?

Wasn't aware it was a 2 year wait for a PR visa now? I know quite a few people who've got out to Aus much much quicker than that?

Mortgages - your credit rating starts from scratch, would depend on earnings on how much you can get. Seems a pretty stright forward process getting a one. Once you have a full time income & deposit there doesn't seem to be much of an issue getting one.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

smithyrocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Doing supply work is quiet normal & gets you known at schools for when positions become available, plenty of agencies & plenty of work in certain areas. Are plenty of jobs other available, dependant on what you want to do?

Wasn't aware it was a 2 year wait for a PR visa now? I know quite a few people who've got out to Aus much much quicker than that?

Mortgages - your credit rating starts from scratch, would depend on earnings on how much you can get. Seems a pretty stright forward process getting a one. Once you have a full time income & deposit there doesn't seem to be much of an issue getting one.
I'd be happy to do supply work but if I couldn't get any I'd be happy to do any old thing just to have a wage coming in.

As for two years, that was from other threads where people had commented that was the average wait for a perm res visa at the moment, it's reassuring to hear you can get one quicker.

We would have a deposit of around £70,000. I'm currently on £42,000 as an AST in the UK but I imagine I'd have to start on main pay scale in Oz? My partner is just finishing his PGCE in primary but is considering teaching pre-school as aware that's more in demand in Oz. I've been teaching five years so I'm not sure how that works in terms of payscale over there or if each state is different?

Once you decided to a apply what was the very first thing you did? Did you start by getting a break down of your degree etc or did you apply first and then apply or apply and then get paperwork in order?

Finally, my partner and I have a son but aren't married, he would be a few points short on his own visa as not been teaching long enough. He would be applying on my visa, what would we need to provide for that?

Thanks again for all the advice, it's all very exciting but also tricky not to feel swamped by application process.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy to do supply work but if I couldn't get any I'd be happy to do any old thing just to have a wage coming in.

As for two years, that was from other threads where people had commented that was the average wait for a perm res visa at the moment, it's reassuring to hear you can get one quicker.

We would have a deposit of around £70,000. I'm currently on £42,000 as an AST in the UK but I imagine I'd have to start on main pay scale in Oz? My partner is just finishing his PGCE in primary but is considering teaching pre-school as aware that's more in demand in Oz. I've been teaching five years so I'm not sure how that works in terms of payscale over there or if each state is different?

Once you decided to a apply what was the very first thing you did? Did you start by getting a break down of your degree etc or did you apply first and then apply or apply and then get paperwork in order?

Finally, my partner and I have a son but aren't married, he would be a few points short on his own visa as not been teaching long enough. He would be applying on my visa, what would we need to provide for that?

Thanks again for all the advice, it's all very exciting but also tricky not to feel swamped by application process.
Pay scales vary from state to state, I believe WA teachers are the best paid in the country and SA the worst? Your UK experience would be taken into account in Australia.

175 visa (if that's what you go for) 'can' be granted within 6 months, really depends how quickly you get a case officer, it can also take over 2 years. But as I said you could be sat around years waiting for a State to start sponsoring.

For your application follow link. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...led-migration/ As you'll very likely going for an entirely different visa to one one we did. But basically is skills assessment, then submit application all supporting documents etc, then wait to be assigned case officer, they will request you to get medicals done, then once they clear everything you get a stamp in your passport. Then the fun of getting all your stuff moved to Aus begins

If you're keen to get going start the paperwork today, it's all on the immigration site to download

Would possibly look at de-facto visa for your partner? But not sure as wasn't an issue for us.

You could also consult an Agent for advice, some will offer free or low cost assessment. As I recall I got one done a few years back for $50. Basically tells you what your options are and is professional advice, that is current with the legislation, as it does seem to chop and change all the time.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Fantastic- thank you. I'm 99% sure I'm going to just apply for visa as that seems to be the least stressful (although still stressful) option. I'm going to have a look at all the paperwork I'll need to start looking at and considering areas we'd want to live more. So far Melbourne looks fab but with few jobs, Brisbane Bay seems gorgeous but also hard to get a job so thinking perhaps Adelade (sp?)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:10 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic- thank you. I'm 99% sure I'm going to just apply for visa as that seems to be the least stressful (although still stressful) option. I'm going to have a look at all the paperwork I'll need to start looking at and considering areas we'd want to live more. So far Melbourne looks fab but with few jobs, Brisbane Bay seems gorgeous but also hard to get a job so thinking perhaps Adelade (sp?)
Adelaide - not sure specifically about high school English but there do seem to be jobs for High school and particularly if you can teach senior high school (equivalent of A level).

Primary seems exceedingly difficult to get a job.

Cooler
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting. We've decided to apply in January next year. That will allow my partner to complete his NQT year and to give us time to research in more depth which state would be best for us. Ideally we'd love to visit but aware that the substantial costs of flights etc would come from the 'living allowance' that we would need when we first get there.

My main concern is that in that time they'll say they no longer list secondary teachers as a skilled worker- fingers crossed for that.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

I havent posted on BE for a while, but now I am living and teaching in WA thought I would offer my comments from an "on the ground" point of view. Some very good comments on this thread, but I don't necessarily agree with Poppyandpeanut's comments about there being plenty of teaching jobs available in WA. The WA media tell us that there are over 400 unplaced graduates this year and in a statement made by the Department of Education it was stated that only 2 positions remained unfilled throughout the state at the beginning of the academic year. All that aside though, the ageing teaching population in WA is obviously going to retire at some point, and there was a report issued at the beginning of the year stating that enrolments for teaching degrees were well down from previous years. Whilst the Dept of Ed aren't sponsoring now, I wouldnt be surprised if they did in the future. Private schools are certainly sponsoring, especially the Catholic sector. I heard that the Northern Territory have sponsored teachers recently, but it was for very isolated and remote communities. There is nothing on their website, but a friend in UK rang them and spoke to a recruitment adviser who said some NT schools were recruiting from overseas. Might be worth pursuing.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Briar
I havent posted on BE for a while, but now I am living and teaching in WA thought I would offer my comments from an "on the ground" point of view. Some very good comments on this thread, but I don't necessarily agree with Poppyandpeanut's comments about there being plenty of teaching jobs available in WA. The WA media tell us that there are over 400 unplaced graduates this year and in a statement made by the Department of Education it was stated that only 2 positions remained unfilled throughout the state at the beginning of the academic year. All that aside though, the ageing teaching population in WA is obviously going to retire at some point, and there was a report issued at the beginning of the year stating that enrolments for teaching degrees were well down from previous years. Whilst the Dept of Ed aren't sponsoring now, I wouldnt be surprised if they did in the future. Private schools are certainly sponsoring, especially the Catholic sector. I heard that the Northern Territory have sponsored teachers recently, but it was for very isolated and remote communities. There is nothing on their website, but a friend in UK rang them and spoke to a recruitment adviser who said some NT schools were recruiting from overseas. Might be worth pursuing.

regardless of whether you agree or nor Mr Briarton it remains a fact, there are dozens of positions avilible in WA- if you are willing to go to the places that all the unplaced graduates are not willing to go. I know of 4 schools in my region that are still short of teachers, both primary and secondary and that is just the schools i have friends at.

like i said before, there are jobs out here, u just gotta decide if its worth the few years of hardship
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Where abouts are you located poppyand peanuts? I did try to look at your profile but it said Manchester but I'm guessing that's not the case!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Where abouts are you located poppyand peanuts? I did try to look at your profile but it said Manchester but I'm guessing that's not the case!
I am up in the Kimberlys, also taught in the midwest and in Perth Metro
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

PoppyandPeanut how did you get to teach in Perth metro on an RSMS visa? Is there a loophole somehow? My GF is on RSMS and teaching in the Kimberley (Broome lucky girl.....). Costs us a fortune to see each other and it would be nice to know if there was a loophole to get her down to Perth to join me.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Briar
PoppyandPeanut how did you get to teach in Perth metro on an RSMS visa? Is there a loophole somehow? My GF is on RSMS and teaching in the Kimberley (Broome lucky girl.....). Costs us a fortune to see each other and it would be nice to know if there was a loophole to get her down to Perth to join me.
I taught in Perth at a Private school on a WHV a few years ago bofore I came over on the RSMS visa
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:38 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you are prepared to work on a cattle station thousands of kms from anywhere (and sleep with a knife under your pillow!!) you might get sponsorship in NT but not in Darwin as there are plenty of teachers locally. There are lots of graduate teachers not finding jobs after university in Queensland. Interesting from there being a drought of teachers a few years ago they now seem too plentiful. I am qualified to teach secondary English and business but haven't been able to find work in Queensland. There are more maths positions around than anything else it seems.

The Catholic sector, in my experience, has more positions in secondary but you need a spiritual referee (ie, to be a Catholic!). It's also far easier to teach at these schools so if you have a religious background it might be worth a go.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Apr 9th 2011 at 7:47 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:47 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm Australian/Australian trained and have just relocated to Darwin from Qld because it was pretty much the only way I could get a permanent job. Perth and regional NSW were plan B if this hadn't eventuated. I didn't even get acknowledgements for my applications in Queensland and have heard that some posts were getting too many applicants to count. Saying that my cousins have both had no trouble getting jobs in Cath Ed on the Gold Coast - however they're in their first years of teaching and don't have the speckled (I call it character building!) work history I have.

Have you looked at teachers.on.net? Many private school advertise on there and that is where I found this job as well as a previous position in Alice Springs.

Don't hold your breath for the teachers to retire - I remember them raving on about that when we started uni in 1998 and over a decade later those oldies are STILL clutching on to their posts. I've moved in teacher-librarianship and found to my incredible frustration that I wasn't able to get positions in my home town because a gaggle of old ducks had claimed them all back in 1963 and are now waiting out their final years (steadfastly refusing to update their skills or IT knowledge).

"Country service" is not entirely bad - there can be more opportunities for career progression, experimentation, management positions - in regional schools. Transient populations can often be easier to befriend than die-hard locals and as I've found there are usually a handful of 'newbies' starting with you.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Don't hold your breath for the teachers to retire - I remember them raving on about that when we started uni in 1998 and over a decade later those oldies are STILL clutching on to their posts. I've moved in teacher-librarianship and found to my incredible frustration that I wasn't able to get positions in my home town because a gaggle of old ducks had claimed them all back in 1963 and are now waiting out their final years (steadfastly refusing to update their skills or IT knowledge).

"Good luck!
Totally agree hubby has older teachers in his school and they have no intention of retiring. In fact the older teachers here have told Hubby that you dont retire early. The Aussie teachers keep working but may be go part time when your 65+ E.g work 3 day week so they have more time for fishing or long weekends away. Even the teachers in their early 50s say this is their long term plan.

Gems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.