Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

DAY 8 in Queensland, is it just Queensland, or other states too?

DAY 8 in Queensland, is it just Queensland, or other states too?

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:15 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default DAY 8 in Queensland, is it just Queensland, or other states too?

So, this whole DAY 8 concept, is it just in Queensland or other states?

Basically, on the 8th day of the new school year, if the school doesn't have enough pupils, or too many, they can let teachers on contracts go, or get extra teachers in. In the UK if we ended up with less children in our schools, we just counted our lucky stars that we had a nice little class for that year, here, it's very different.

So, is this purely an Ed Qld thing, or is it Australia wide?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DAY 8 in Queensland, is it just Queensland, or other states too?

Not heard of this but we are in WA.

Gems
Old Feb 27th 2012, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

MB2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

QLD seems like a nightmare. How do other states compare? WA is another option for us.

Also, did you have to be on the ground to secure a job? Was hoping to get something sorted before leaving the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB2012
QLD seems like a nightmare. How do other states compare? WA is another option for us.

Also, did you have to be on the ground to secure a job? Was hoping to get something sorted before leaving the UK.
You pretty much need to be here, unless you're something pretty ALL THAT and have special powers etc lol I am currently an LRT/DRT (Local/District Relieving Teacher) which in short is like a supply teacher, except I've a guaranteed wage, sounds too good to be true eh?! Well it is...I pretty much end up in some of the dodgier schools which the Supply Teachers tend to avoid! OH DEEPEST JOY! LOL

After 12 years in the job, I'd leave YESTERDAY if I could find something else suitable!!!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:20 am
Just Joined

MB2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to feel like that about my job in Christchurch. After a while you need a change regardless. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:32 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I've only heard of it in Qld - I attended small schools here as a kid & remember the frenzied campaigns at the start of the year to try to get or keep a teacher!

Have you had any luck in the private sector?? Toowoomba has so many independents I'd hoped you might have got a foot in there??

After a disastrous stint with Lutheran Ed I'm now in local gov't - has it's own forms of hell - top jobs held by priveleged yobs who live outside our region & make illinformed decisions that crush local battlers. But they still get to finish at 430, drive their ratepayer funded car home to Robina or Carindale.

Lol the way the world works can be so depressing!!! I'm loving being a fulltime librarian without having to fear I'll be forced to drop everything & cover classes. Doubt I will ever go back!!!