Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Best recruitment agency for teaching work in UK?

Best recruitment agency for teaching work in UK?

Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:49 am
Just Joined

karenza is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Best recruitment agency for teaching work in UK?

Was hoping to get some suggestions from people regarding recruitment agencies that you may have used for the teaching sector, looking for ones that have been helpful and friendly.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:38 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best recruitment agency for teaching work in UK?

Originally Posted by karenza
Was hoping to get some suggestions from people regarding recruitment agencies that you may have used for the teaching sector, looking for ones that have been helpful and friendly.

Thanks
I've never used agencies, I instead just did a CV drop around each of the schools I'd be interested in working at and introduced myself, my phone didn't stop ringing! Nowadays you need to be on this register to get work: http://www.nistr.org.uk/page.asp but I'd still do the personal CV drop as schools would rather employ somebody they've met face to fact, as opposed to a name on a computer screen!

In Northern Ireland, most, if not all actual temporary/permanent contracts are advertised in the local press (Tuesday night's Belfast Telegraph) and on the individual education board websites. They tend to start being advertised, in bulk, anytime from March onwards!

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:33 am
Just Joined

karenza is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.
I would like to be able to drop into the schools but i'm in aust and would like a job before I get there.
Will keep an eye on the paper though and look at the websites.
I also didn't realise they would start advertising quite so early so will be now looking from then.

Thanks again
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:37 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenza
Thanks for the info.
I would like to be able to drop into the schools but i'm in aust and would like a job before I get there.
Will keep an eye on the paper though and look at the websites.
I also didn't realise they would start advertising quite so early so will be now looking from then.

Thanks again
I wouldn't anticipate it being that easy, just like those coming from the UK to Oz, you might need to do relief work first before finding something more long-term!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:14 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

It seems to be a lot easier to get work lined up before you go to the UK than it does to come back the other way. I had job offers before I left for the UK as did friends (back in 02 tho) but my cousin and friend have just gone over and have started teaching in jobs they had signed up for before they left. Agencies I have dealt with over the years are Timeplan (only one who offer work in Scotland although it's hard to find), Protocol, Smart Teachers (wouldn't recommend), TeachUK.

There are so many - I'd sign up with whichever ones take your fancy then wait for them to get in touch - whoever is the most helpful, go with them! It should not cost you anything to register with them. Some also offer a guaranteed supply option as well - which might be a better option for first arrival rather than signing up for a contract straight away. My cousin has just done it, but I warned her against it as she really had no idea about schools or areas and has ended up in quite a rough school.

Loads of agencies advertise on SEEK for UK jobs so you could start there. Many will do an interview in Oz, or a meet and greet. Some will also organise phone interviews etc. At the very least they will help you get your CV ready, give you some tips for teaching in the UK (info on the curriculum etc) and also help you meet others who are doing the same thing. Many will also offer airport pickups, SIM cards, accommodation assistance etc. They've all got extensive websites so maybe start there?

You could also have a look on the TES forums as many Aussie teachers post on there (in the Overseas Trained Teachers section)
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
It seems to be a lot easier to get work lined up before you go to the UK than it does to come back the other way. I had job offers before I left for the UK as did friends (back in 02 tho) but my cousin and friend have just gone over and have started teaching in jobs they had signed up for before they left. Agencies I have dealt with over the years are Timeplan (only one who offer work in Scotland although it's hard to find), Protocol, Smart Teachers (wouldn't recommend), TeachUK.

There are so many - I'd sign up with whichever ones take your fancy then wait for them to get in touch - whoever is the most helpful, go with them! It should not cost you anything to register with them. Some also offer a guaranteed supply option as well - which might be a better option for first arrival rather than signing up for a contract straight away. My cousin has just done it, but I warned her against it as she really had no idea about schools or areas and has ended up in quite a rough school.

Loads of agencies advertise on SEEK for UK jobs so you could start there. Many will do an interview in Oz, or a meet and greet. Some will also organise phone interviews etc. At the very least they will help you get your CV ready, give you some tips for teaching in the UK (info on the curriculum etc) and also help you meet others who are doing the same thing. Many will also offer airport pickups, SIM cards, accommodation assistance etc. They've all got extensive websites so maybe start there?

You could also have a look on the TES forums as many Aussie teachers post on there (in the Overseas Trained Teachers section)
I wouldn't recommend Smart either, they are SOOOO full of crap! lol
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:38 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

LOL just had another mate get the Smart Treatment recently too - and I could've saved her the misery!!! Last time I spoke to them (I know, FOOL, I was lured in by their made up job ads...) they told me I wasn't qualified to teach because I hadn't finished my Masters...(I have a BA/Bach Ed)...

My cousin went with Teach London...I think! She is hating the little kiddies of Essex tho, and I bet she's wishing she'd taken my advice to sign up for supply but not sign any contracts til she got there. I did about 3 weeks day to day relief around London and had 2 job offers within that time. Both were with okay schools/good classes so it's not all bad. It can also work in your favour to do supply through the agency but then get the school to employ you (not the agency). Some agencies actually work this way (ie: you are always employed by school/LEA, not agency, but not all do). If you are directly employed you may find it easier to get support - especially in terms of getting helped towards gaining QTS.

If you don't know what QTS is and you have ANY, and I mean ANY aspiration to remain in the UK beyond your 2 years, or EVER going back there to teach - find out what it is NOW and work your little butt off to get it, or join the legions of Aussie teachers gnashing their teeth at the gates without QTS...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:41 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
LOL just had another mate get the Smart Treatment recently too - and I could've saved her the misery!!! Last time I spoke to them (I know, FOOL, I was lured in by their made up job ads...) they told me I wasn't qualified to teach because I hadn't finished my Masters...(I have a BA/Bach Ed)...

My cousin went with Teach London...I think! She is hating the little kiddies of Essex tho, and I bet she's wishing she'd taken my advice to sign up for supply but not sign any contracts til she got there. I did about 3 weeks day to day relief around London and had 2 job offers within that time. Both were with okay schools/good classes so it's not all bad. It can also work in your favour to do supply through the agency but then get the school to employ you (not the agency). Some agencies actually work this way (ie: you are always employed by school/LEA, not agency, but not all do). If you are directly employed you may find it easier to get support - especially in terms of getting helped towards gaining QTS.

If you don't know what QTS is and you have ANY, and I mean ANY aspiration to remain in the UK beyond your 2 years, or EVER going back there to teach - find out what it is NOW and work your little butt off to get it, or join the legions of Aussie teachers gnashing their teeth at the gates without QTS...
Yeah I did a full blown 45 minute telephone interview with them days after arriving in Australia and NOTHING came of it. They then phoned me recently to advise of a job coming up in a local school which just LOVE LOVE LOVEDDDDD UK teachers and that they'd definitely get me an interview! Did they 'eck!? lol Full of cr@p if you ask me!!! lol