Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice
Default Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Hello
Can you please give us any tips on the best way to get qld teachers registration as my wife will have to register soon as we leave in March and have got lots and lots to do before then?
Any tips will be greatlly appreciated by us so please fire away folks..............
Ta
Nom & Nat
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:17 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any tips on QLD teaching registration?

Hi - just sent you PM. Forgot to add, you can apply for teacher registration before you leave the UK. And see if you can find out whether you have to get your teaching quals assessed as that will have to be done before you apply for registration. You'll also need a police check from the UK and any other countries you've lived in for more than 12 months (actually, saying that you can also get these things started simultaneously but have to include proof of it (stat dec??) in your teacher registration application)
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Hi - just sent you PM. Forgot to add, you can apply for teacher registration before you leave the UK. And see if you can find out whether you have to get your teaching quals assessed as that will have to be done before you apply for registration. You'll also need a police check from the UK and any other countries you've lived in for more than 12 months (actually, saying that you can also get these things started simultaneously but have to include proof of it (stat dec??) in your teacher registration application)
Hiya,

How do you go about finding out if you need your qualifications assessed?

Su
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SRDL
Hiya,

How do you go about finding out if you need your qualifications assessed?

Su
You will definitely need your skills assessed if you want to apply for a visa on the strength of your teaching qualification. If however you already have your visa, then there probably isn't any point, though if you did the three year GTP route then it will not be recognised here in Australia and you may need to do extra modules in order to allow you to teach. Good luck, Jen
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
You will definitely need your skills assessed if you want to apply for a visa on the strength of your teaching qualification. If however you already have your visa, then there probably isn't any point, though if you did the three year GTP route then it will not be recognised here in Australia and you may need to do extra modules in order to allow you to teach. Good luck, Jen
Hi Jen,

I have a 4 yr degree & PGCE so I think I'll be alright? I intend on doing supply, so is the qualification assessment needed to get work or just for visa applications?

Su
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SRDL
Hi Jen,

I have a 4 yr degree & PGCE so I think I'll be alright? I intend on doing supply, so is the qualification assessment needed to get work or just for visa applications?

Su
I think QCT will assess you so you should be right! Bearing in mind the QCT rego takes a LONGGGGG time to come through, mine took exactly 112 days, EEK!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I think QCT will assess you so you should be right! Bearing in mind the QCT rego takes a LONGGGGG time to come through, mine took exactly 112 days, EEK!!!
Better get my ass into gear so!! I'm not going till May but I may as well get it out of the way - to make sure I have it before I go.

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:21 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys...I've been looking at this forum for about 8 months and never realised this section existed...

My wife and I lodged our visa at the start of the month and she is the main applicant. Shes a science teacher and is trying to find out if its still a possible to register as a teacher in Queensland while we wait for our visa. There isn't any where on the form to enter a visa number so we're unsure...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:29 am

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

If anyone is interested...my wife call the Queenlands College of Teachers this morning and found out that you can apply for registration without a visa.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:49 am
Just Joined

delphinius2 is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me three months to become registered to teach in Queensland. They were very slow and fairly unhelpful. Once you are here you must then apply to the education authority, DETA. If you have not applied to them you will not be able to teach in state schools. You might find some work in independent schools or those offering faith based education. The other issue is that jobs are not really advertised, there is a pool of teachers with Queensland Education who have been assessed on a suitability ranking system. They will be put forward for jobs as they come up so getting permanent teaching work can be really hard.

If you do go for supply, I suggest you look at Tracer, the Queensland Educations supply register that supplies many schools. There is apparently a lot of competition for supply work, so it is a case of getting your CV in to as many schools as possible and being available for basically any subject.

I am finding being here and trying to find work really demoralising after being in the UK and having good jobs, as well as not being able to find any form of permanent jobs in the first place because they don't advertise. Best of luck to you though!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by delphinius2
It took me three months to become registered to teach in Queensland. They were very slow and fairly unhelpful. Once you are here you must then apply to the education authority, DETA. If you have not applied to them you will not be able to teach in state schools. You might find some work in independent schools or those offering faith based education. The other issue is that jobs are not really advertised, there is a pool of teachers with Queensland Education who have been assessed on a suitability ranking system. They will be put forward for jobs as they come up so getting permanent teaching work can be really hard.

If you do go for supply, I suggest you look at Tracer, the Queensland Educations supply register that supplies many schools. There is apparently a lot of competition for supply work, so it is a case of getting your CV in to as many schools as possible and being available for basically any subject.

I am finding being here and trying to find work really demoralising after being in the UK and having good jobs, as well as not being able to find any form of permanent jobs in the first place because they don't advertise. Best of luck to you though!
Hi there...thanks for your post...I've had a look on - http://deta.qld.gov.au/ - and couldn't find any information on how to apply to be registered as you suggested. Can you please clarify how I would apply to the DETA?

Thanks...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:06 pm

Sorry found the application form on the Tracer website....again thanks for the advise.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

delphinius2 is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries! As far as getting everything sorted goes I would make sure from every school you have worked in that you have a written formal refence and a seperate statement of service with the exact job you have done including subjects, days employed for, wage and mist importantly a sentence which says NIL LEAVE TAKEN. You will need these for both the QCT registration and Education queensland plus if you have written references it saves time and hastle trying to get employers in the Uk to respond when they are 10 hours out of sync!

If you need any further advice feel free to message me!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by delphinius2
No worries! As far as getting everything sorted goes I would make sure from every school you have worked in that you have a written formal refence and a seperate statement of service with the exact job you have done including subjects, days employed for, wage and mist importantly a sentence which says NIL LEAVE TAKEN. You will need these for both the QCT registration and Education queensland plus if you have written references it saves time and hastle trying to get employers in the Uk to respond when they are 10 hours out of sync!

If you need any further advice feel free to message me!
Morning Delphinius...thanks for your post and I appreciate your advise and offer if contact. If I have any questions which I can't find answers to I'll be in touch.

Thanks for now.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:41 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Once you have registered with Ed Qld/DETA you can also get a rating and go into the pool for jobs. I agree, it sucks. I trained in Qld but taught in an independent school before heading to the UK and good old TES Jobs. Couldn't believe it when I moved back to Qld and they wanted us to line up like cattle to be shunted out to wherever they fancied. NSW, Vic, NT all seem to be able to cope with recruiting via advertisement. The only thing I can think of is that Qld has some outback areas they need to fill - but surely supply/demand would sort this out??

It's a tough region to crack! My cousin is Aussie and can't get a school job either - she's in a childcare centre. It can take years of day to day supply and short contracts to finally get your foot in the door in some regions. It took ages before I started getting offered contracts - and that was in my home town, where the Principals knew me as an ex-pupil! A friend just got offered permanency with Ed Qld but if she wants to accept it she has to move to far north Qld.

I think anyone trying to find work in SE Qld (one of the fastest growing regions of Australia) needs to be prepared for a long slog. If you are still in the UK I'd be researching destinations north of the Sunshine Coast, and west of Toowoomba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.