Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

457 sponsorship for 14 months? Worth it?

457 sponsorship for 14 months? Worth it?

Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:28 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default 457 sponsorship for 14 months? Worth it?

Hello again,
So im a week away from pushing the button on my 487 visa to stay in rural WA and teach here for 2 yrs then get PR through 887.
However have just had my catholic school interview and will hear next week with a possibility of securing this 457 sponsorship but only for 14 months at first depending on whether the maternity leave teacher comes back to her permanent job- therefore the job offer is for a temporary contract.

Does this mean that i will not be eligible for an ENS or RSMS visa because the job initailly is not for 2 years and teachers in catholic schools are not highly skilled?
Im confused- what do i do?
If successful in the job do i take it- am i better off on a 457
than my 487 which im fairly sure will be through in 5 months ish and i get a bridging visa anyway in the meantime when my WHV runs out?
Please advise-
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 sponsorship for 14 months? Worth it?

Originally Posted by missapps
Hello again,
So im a week away from pushing the button on my 487 visa to stay in rural WA and teach here for 2 yrs then get PR through 887.
However have just had my catholic school interview and will hear next week with a possibility of securing this 457 sponsorship but only for 14 months at first depending on whether the maternity leave teacher comes back to her permanent job- therefore the job offer is for a temporary contract.

Does this mean that i will not be eligible for an ENS or RSMS visa because the job initailly is not for 2 years and teachers in catholic schools are not highly skilled?
Im confused- what do i do?
If successful in the job do i take it- am i better off on a 457
than my 487 which im fairly sure will be through in 5 months ish and i get a bridging visa anyway in the meantime when my WHV runs out?
Please advise-
Can't you do things a straight forward way lol
Personally wouldn't take the 14 month 457. If they come back then you're right back at square one.
How did you get on with Catholic interview?
Hopefully someone with the right answers will come along.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:23 pm
missapps

Hi Paul!
I can do things easily its just that being over here already throws so many more options at you and so i cannot decide which one to take!!
Yeah the 457 is the Catholic school that im talking about-wont definitely get it, but am just checking to see if i did which visa would be better?
But you're right if i took the chance i would be back at square one and then have to apply for 175 and be back at square one so whats point right??!!
I'm going for the 487- right decided and will have to turn down the catholic school if i get it- i hear back on Friday!!!
There are so many teachers out here in Kalgoorlie already that are on 457 from WA sponsorship way-iv met them doing relief in schools its weird!!!
Ha ha hope alls well down your end!!??
Laura
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:06 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Another option . . . take the 457 to get you where you want to be, then apply for the 175 while you are working here. You will need to leave the country for 5 days while it is granted (trip to Bali?), but that would mean you are here quicker and get your 175!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, like above Id consider doing your own visa once you have got temp visa.

The other thing is the Catholic school can sponsor you any time for ENS, they dont have to wait 2 years. Although think if you do ENS early your not exempt from the 2 years previous teaching experience. Have you worked for 2 years before coming to Aus?

Gems
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:36 am
missapps

Hi guys, no my priblem is i cannot apply for 175 til ive done the recent 12 months, and at the moment im nearly up to a term of Ozzie teaching, and maybe three months of Uk teaching in last 24 months, so wouldnt be able to apply until i had the year expe and then my 457 only covers me until dec 2010 (if i get it!) so would have to leave country for longer cos id be applying later if you see what i mean?
Gems, I do not have 2 years RECENT experience so it doesnt count!! Ive been travelling australia and working on cruise ships so that my pickle you see-!! I have 3 years experience before from 2004-2007 so dont think it counts??
Yes catholic school could sponsor me for ENS but its a temp contract for maternity leave until the teacher comes back after baby- which she may well do and then im stuck without 457 anymore cos there will be no job at school possibly!!!
So thanks everyone again, but really think i have to go the 487 route!!???
Laura
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Laura - You could always ask Catholic Ed to sponsor you for RSMS ( Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme) under visa 857. This will give you permanent residency from the start, but you are tied to the employer for 2 years in a regional school. The Regional Development Commission has to co-sign the nomination form, but if you are wanting to stay in Kalgoorlie I cannot see why they won't. Shortsighted if they do though!

Also have you tried contacting the State Migration Service at the Small Business Development Centre in Perth. They might be able to help you.

Good Luck Laura
Briar
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:09 am
missapps

Thanks Briar, but now i have decided to go down the 487 route of my family here sponsoring me to stay in Kalgoorlie-regional for 2 years then i can apply for 887 PR visa in 2 yrs! So its all good! Thanks. Put my application in yesterday, fingers crossed all is ok!!
Thanks again
laura