3 Year Degree Question...

Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Mercyknight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Year Degree Question...

I am from the UK and looking to move to Perth. I have a 3 year teaching degree (BSc (Hons) in Secondary Education with QTS) and 2 years teaching experience. I have been advised by a migration agent that my qualification does not meet the requirements to teach in Perth. Is there any route available into teaching with a 3 year UK teaching degree in Australia (WA)? Like adding a year of a masters course, think it's a PCert or PDip not sure...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:16 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 Year Degree Question...

Yeah you need a Graduate Diploma of Education. It takes about 8 months in general unless you have very extensive experience teaching in Australia requires 4 years of Uni.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:41 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercyknight
I am from the UK and looking to move to Perth. I have a 3 year teaching degree (BSc (Hons) in Secondary Education with QTS) and 2 years teaching experience. I have been advised by a migration agent that my qualification does not meet the requirements to teach in Perth. Is there any route available into teaching with a 3 year UK teaching degree in Australia (WA)? Like adding a year of a masters course, think it's a PCert or PDip not sure...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
You would not get a visa as a teacher then, unless you are on someone elses visa (partner). If that is the case, you would either need a student visa or stay in the UK doing a PGCE.

What do you teach?

Cooler
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Mercyknight is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, PGCE? I am already a qualified teacher with QTS, I wouldn't be able to do a PGCE...

I was wondering is there another course I could do or certificate I could do whilst teaching to gain the correct award to teach in WA.

I teach ICT

Last edited by Mercyknight; Apr 28th 2011 at 9:45 am.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure on this as I thought the PGCE was the only recognised course in UK that Australia would recognise, but I have now heard of a chap who has a 3 year teaching degree in Maths who "topped" it up with a Masters in Education and was ultimatelyaccepted. As you appear to want to teach in WA, have you considered asking the question of the West Australia College of Teaching (WACOT) who are the teacher registration body for WA. I am sure they must be used to questions like these.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Good luck trying to get anything out of WACOT - I hate to say anything but WACOT are absolutely useless - they just take our money each year.
I think your best bet would be doing a masters or some sort of graduate dipolma.
Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:09 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercyknight
Hmm, PGCE? I am already a qualified teacher with QTS, I wouldn't be able to do a PGCE...

I was wondering is there another course I could do or certificate I could do whilst teaching to gain the correct award to teach in WA.

I teach ICT
I know some one here in SA who did a Masters course so that they could teach here. Just find this for one of the uni's doing a PGDE

http://courses.handbooks.uwa.edu.au/courses/c3/3140

ICT, the reason I ask is that I think secondary/high school is generally easier to get a job in - certainly in SA.

Cooler