Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

2 year shortage subject BA with QTS

2 year shortage subject BA with QTS

Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice
Default 2 year shortage subject BA with QTS

Hi everybody,

I have a question about qualifications that I can't seem to find anywhere yet.

I have read quite a few posts about teachers with GTC not being accepted when they applied for teaching status in Oz. I have read the information from Teaching Australia and it appears to say you have to have a degree equivalent to an Australian teaching degree - usually 4 years (3 years + PGCE?).

I went on to work after my A-levels instead of going to Uni. I did a 2 year HNC part-time whilst working in IT but later decided to go back to Uni and get qualified to teach. I was able to apply to Brighton University to do a 2 year shortened degree because mathematics was a shortage subject (this was in 1998). There were also 2 year PGCE students who followed the same course. My qualification was a 1st class honours Bachelors degree with QTS (BA Hons Secondary Mathematics Education with QTS).

I know that NSW now does something similar - ATT Accelerated Teacher Training they call it.

Has anybody got any experience with this? Is it worth me submitting an application to Teaching Australia?

I would be grateful for any help.

Mark Hudson
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year shortage subject BA with QTS

Originally Posted by The Hutspots
Hi everybody,

I have a question about qualifications that I can't seem to find anywhere yet.

I have read quite a few posts about teachers with GTC not being accepted when they applied for teaching status in Oz. I have read the information from Teaching Australia and it appears to say you have to have a degree equivalent to an Australian teaching degree - usually 4 years (3 years + PGCE?).

I went on to work after my A-levels instead of going to Uni. I did a 2 year HNC part-time whilst working in IT but later decided to go back to Uni and get qualified to teach. I was able to apply to Brighton University to do a 2 year shortened degree because mathematics was a shortage subject (this was in 1998). There were also 2 year PGCE students who followed the same course. My qualification was a 1st class honours Bachelors degree with QTS (BA Hons Secondary Mathematics Education with QTS).

I know that NSW now does something similar - ATT Accelerated Teacher Training they call it.

Has anybody got any experience with this? Is it worth me submitting an application to Teaching Australia?

I would be grateful for any help.

Mark Hudson
As far as I'm aware it's pretty much set in stone you need to 4 years or can't teach! Would recommend you chase up an agent and pick their brains!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:18 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I have a strange feeling that the ATT in NSW is referring to the one year PGDE?? I'm probably wrong, it's just ringing some bells.

4 years is also the Bachelor of Education here (or the 3 year undergrad + PGDE which is gaining popularity)

There's more specific info on their website - it's not just to do with the length of your degree, it's about levels of subject, amount of content, and amount of practice teaching in your degree.

Not sure of the actual Edu Dept website but if you follow the links from this page you should find it:

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:39 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford the $450 its worth sending off a skills assessment to see if they accept it.

Personally, I don't think they will, as they are quite strict about the 3 years degree + 1 year PGCE. They won't even accept a 3 year teaching degree!

Good luck whatever you do.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:15 am

staceylhughes is on a distinguished road

I have a three year BA(hons) with QTS and I had my qualifications successfully assessed by AEI-NOOSR.

It wasn't straight forward though and I had to contact my course leader who then had to contact AEI-NOOSR fighting my corner. He was excellent and gave lots of information which proves my degree is no better no worse than a 4 year one (just done differently).

Problem I have now is becoming registered (in Victoria), they won't recognise my degree for full registration, only casual teaching - so I'm thinking of choosing another state.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staceylhughes
I have a three year BA(hons) with QTS and I had my qualifications successfully assessed by AEI-NOOSR.

It wasn't straight forward though and I had to contact my course leader who then had to contact AEI-NOOSR fighting my corner. He was excellent and gave lots of information which proves my degree is no better no worse than a 4 year one (just done differently).

Problem I have now is becoming registered (in Victoria), they won't recognise my degree for full registration, only casual teaching - so I'm thinking of choosing another state.
I think you will find the same problem in pretty much all the states. NSW are complete fascists about it, and the criteria is absolutely set in stone, with no room for movement.

Good luck to you.

S
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice

Originally Posted by staceylhughes

Thanks for the tip - I don't think it is going to be easy but at least your message gives us a glimmer of hope. I think I will see if I can get in touch with my old course leader and see if I can get her to write something to go with my application. Then I reckon it has got to be worth giving it a shot!

Thanks to everybody for the replies. Keep your fingers crossed for me - I will let you know how it works out.