Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

176 visa - Sponsorship - Registration needed ?! IELTS issue!

176 visa - Sponsorship - Registration needed ?! IELTS issue!

Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

music121 will become famous soon enough
Default 176 visa - Sponsorship - Registration needed ?! IELTS issue!

Hi everyone,

I am about to apply for Vic. sponsorship, before trying to get a 176 SS visa to teach (in high school). I've been through the forum quite a lot, and haven't found an answer to my question. Is registration absolutely necessary for them before they sponsor us (if they do...) ?

-> I had my skills assessed positively last year by TA.
I also took the academic IELTS about 14 months ago, and scored an average of 8.5/9 (more than 7 in each band). I also have the necessary work exp.

Now: I have read on this forum that they asked applicants to register with the Vic. Institute of teachers, which...Only accepts the IELTS if it was taken less than 12 months ago!
I can't believe how complex (and expensive) the whole process is...
I would like to try to get everything done (including starting my application for the 176 visa) before the regulations change again (July)..., and can only start to ask for sponsorship in March. So I feel a bit in a hurry. Which makes me wonder if I should ask an agent to help me or not - I might do things faster myself (?) - and agents charge a lot, too.
I live in a French-speaking environment, so the agent might help (translating documents or reformulating things / certifying) more than if I did everything myself.

QUESTIONS:
- Do I absolutely need to be registered with the VIT before getting sponsorship? (If it works...) Even with my skills already positively assessed by TA? Does anyone know?
- If so, do you think it means retaking the IELTS?! (Even though my marks are good and less than 2 years old...) I should do it ASAP if it's the case, hence this post. (And it's not that easy either... -Can I do the general IELTS instead?)
- Do you think I need an agent?
- Do you think I can ask Vict. immigration directly and raise the issue?

I obviously intended to ask for sponsorship first, and only to register with the VIT once the 176 visa was granted (if...), because I know the whole process will take a long time anyway...

I know my questions are very specific, but thanks for reading and for your advice if you can. Cheers.

Last edited by music121; Feb 9th 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: 176 visa - Sponsorship - Registration needed ?! IELTS issue!

Hi,
I#ve just been through the process. I did my IELTS, got my skills assessment from TA and then applied for sponsorship in VIC as secondary school teacher. When filling in their online application form they asked if you hold a positive skills assessment and since I couldn't find TA as the skills assessing body I asked them about it. They told me that I would need to get registration with VIT as their skills assessment, that they couldn't ask for a nation wide assessment, only for an assessment on basis of need within VIC. So, after a long wait (due to the changes in migration process) they asked me at the beginning of October to get my registration with VIT (although I already had the positive skills assessment from TA!). My IELTS expired in the middle of November, but I was able to get my papers to Australia before that date (just a week before, but still before the date on the IELTS paper) and it was ok for them (I also got 8.5 overall). Don't know what they would have done if my IELTS had been older, I really don't have an idea, but their papers say that the IELTS must not be older than one year. Mine was exactly one year when my papers got there and 13 months old when I got the registration. VIC didn't approve my sponsorship before I sent them my registration card from VIT, but then within 3 days.
Petra
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Petra. Wow...This is crazy!!! Doesn't it sound unfair? Well I might have to do the IELTS again, then, just because it's 14 months old! I think I'll go for an immig. agent, and see how it goes. Maybe they can accept the TA assessement still. And the IELTS that goes with it. But I only have a few months left before July in case they don't - to do the IELTS, score well, get the results and send them. Thanks again. And what do you think about the agent?
Other replies, ideas and answers to my other questions welcome.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

I really don't know. I was also worried about the fact that my IELTS would have been too old, just because my papers were stuck somewhere on the way to Australia. I just had 2 weeks to get them there, but it worked out for me.
You also need to know that the registration with VIT took me abut 6 or 7 weeks: send the papers there, then they send a letter (real letter, not email) asking you to pay, then again it takes 6 to 8 weeks from that point. So it might even take longer, I think I was lucky getting it within that time frame, but I had already contacted VIC because I was worried that I wouldnt get the registration in time.
May I ask, what subject you teach, as VIC doens't sponsor teachers in general, only with certain subject and judging from your nick here, I thought you were also teaching music like me (but I got the sponsorship on my other subject)
LG Petra
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. I should apply for my second IELTS in less than 2 years right away then! I teach science, so it should be ok. (And maybe they need me enough to be kind with me ;-) This whole thing is unbelievable. I'd never imagined how complicated and expensive it would be, even before starting the whole process. Maybe a mig. agent might give me "superpowers" and speed up the thing. Or not ;-) Cheers! Still, other answers to my other questions are welcome, thanks! Gen. IELTS ok? Mig. agent? Etc. Thanks guys. Yes I'm stressed and can't believe this is actually happening!

Last edited by music121; Feb 9th 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

No authority, be it state government, registration board, Dept of Immigration, will accept IELTS results older than 12 months. Seems ludicrous - but that seems to be the rule wherever you go.