Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Closed Thread

Old Apr 8th 2007, 3:37 pm   #1
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why did you move away from 'Great Britain'

This is not a get-at ....it's a question because I'm curious as to why people have moved away from so-called Great Britain - especially amongst those who have emigrated to America, the seems to be a lot of patriotic flag-waving for Blighty.
I'm aware that some have gone back, and others are waiting to go back, but what made you leave in the first place?

What are peoples stories ?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:06 pm   #2
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move away from 'Great Britain'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasG View Post
This is not a get-at ....it's a question because I'm curious as to why people have moved away from so-called Great Britain - especially amongst those who have emigrated to America, the seems to be a lot of patriotic flag-waving for Blighty.
I'm aware that some have gone back, and others are waiting to go back, but what made you leave in the first place?

If this is *not* a get-at.... why do you put quote marks around Great Britain, and then refer to it as "so-called Great Britain"?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:09 pm   #3
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
If this is *not* a get-at.... why do you put quote marks around Great Britain, and then refer to it as "so-called Great Britain"?
Because I was thinking of the other thread here about Great Britian.

Britain is a great country

It was actually to avoid people getting hold of the wrong end of the stick

So, what's your story?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:13 pm   #4
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

The OH got offered a transfer with work and we thought why not, nothing ventured nothing gained. Didn't want to be stuck in Scotland in twenty years from now thinking why didn't we go to Texas!
If it goes t1ts up then we're young enough to start again and have a good support network back home.
I don't think we'll be here for the rest of our lives, think we'll get out and see a bit more of the world first probably before returning to Scotland to grow old.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:14 pm   #5
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because I was thinking of the other thread here about Great Britian.

Britain is a great country

It was actually to avoid people getting hold of the wrong end of the stick

So, what's your story?
We came to California because my husband was headhunted and because it would be a change for the last 15-20 years of our working lives (getting out of the rut), and because we thought that our kids would benefit from the experience and be able to get a great education at the University of California.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:23 pm   #6
Account Closed

Thanks Texas Mom and Elvira

So, do you see yourself as 'at home' in your respective places, or do you still think of GB as home?

I personally very much see Australia as home, and have no plans to go back to the UK, other than for visits.

Another reason why I posted this thread - curious to see what roots people have set down, both practically, and personally.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:30 pm   #7
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Texas Mom and Elvira

So, do you see yourself as 'at home' in your respective places, or do you still think of GB as home?

I personally very much see Australia as home, and have no plans to go back to the UK, other than for visits.

Another reason why I posted this thread - curious to see what roots people have set down, both practically, and personally.
That's a though one. I think Scotland will always be home, lived in the same town all my life until last June. Maybe when I've been here a bit longer then I'll think of Texas as home.
I don't have any regrets about leaving and am very happy here, we all are.
I could never have offered hubby this opportunity with my job. At the end of the day it was my decision and we would have remained in Scotland if I said so. I can't help thinking though that if I had said no that it would have put a strain on us in the long run and he would always have resented me a little for putting my foot down and not coming. He's doing very well over here and I'm now a stay home mom with number 2 on the way so all in all I believe things have worked out well for us. Some days though when my five year old drives me nuts I would give anything to be able to go to work.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:35 pm   #8
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:40 pm   #9
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mom View Post
That's a though one. I think Scotland will always be home, lived in the same town all my life until last June. Maybe when I've been here a bit longer then I'll think of Texas as home.
I don't have any regrets about leaving and am very happy here, we all are.
I could never have offered hubby this opportunity with my job. At the end of the day it was my decision and we would have remained in Scotland if I said so. I can't help thinking though that if I had said no that it would have put a strain on us in the long run and he would always have resented me a little for putting my foot down and not coming. He's doing very well over here and I'm now a stay home mom with number 2 on the way so all in all I believe things have worked out well for us. Some days though when my five year old drives me nuts I would give anything to be able to go to work.
Thanks, I hope you remain happy

I think that is one of the big differences for some people ....up until now, Carl and I had moved around a lot, and had not felt 'at home' anywhere until we came here - now we have found somewhere that suits us, and our lifestyle as nowhere has before....maybe it would be different if one or both of us had just stayed in one place.
In August we can apply for Citizenship, and for us, that is the culmination of all the things we love about this country, and the final step of interragration into it.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:48 pm   #10
BE Enthusiast

Owd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really nice

Quote:

Money (and perhaps a little adventure but a distant second to money).

Was intended as a temporary little foray to earn enough to pay off the mortgage and get our heads above water.

Then priorities became transposed and I started to get used to being away, then to like being away, now i'm totally lost...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:50 pm   #11
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Potter View Post
Money (and perhaps a little adventure but a distant second to money).

Was intended as a temporary little foray to earn enough to pay off the mortgage and get our heads above water.

Then priorities became transposed and I started to get used to being away, then to like being away, now i'm totally lost...
Maybe you'll be found again ...unless you like being lost
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:58 pm   #12
BE Enthusiast

Owd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really niceOwd Potter is just really nice

Quote:
Maybe you'll be found again ...unless you like being lost
well the last decade and half has completely changed every aspect of my life.

I certainly do not feel that UK is home anymore, I don't know the place now, but then again neither do I feel that I am not close enough to any other place to call that home.

I've become an overpaid vagrant
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:53 pm   #13
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
I didn't.
and me...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:17 pm   #14
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

originally came here for Uni.... afterwards, couldn't think of a compelling reason to go back - what's the point returning to the very same reasons you left in the first place?!?! I arrived with only 2 suitcases and the only person I knew at time was an uncle who I hadn't seen for 15 years or so. Moving here like that was the craziest, bravest yet smartest thing for me to have done at that stage in my life. Making mistakes along the way is a given... however, how else are you going to learn? I am happy here and I don't dwell on the past of the "coulda, shoulda" syndrome... The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence but with tlc and fertilizer, you can make your grass as green as you want it to be. When I tend to get bogged down.. I tend to reflect upon what I have achieved over the years and how far I've come since being here. No regrets.... 12 years and counting. Suffice to say, here is home.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:31 pm   #15
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

and it still is Great Britain cas

my usc hubs excepted an excellent offer from the company to be based at the home office here in houston. he was rather reluctant to accept the offer to say the least as he'd lived for 18yrs in blighty, loved it and still does.

the uk is home and always has been. having travelled the world i appreciate it more now than ever
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!