Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Closed Thread

Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:33 pm   #241
smeg head

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virginia law would force women seeking abortion to undergo probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
“A child is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused if they are raised by say, a mother and a boyfriend, than their mother and father,”

Is that accurate?
It sounds rather exaggerated, doesn't it? As a stepfather myself, I rather resent such an assertion, it is ridiculous and smacks of propaganda to me.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:37 pm   #242
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It sounds rather exaggerated, doesn't it? As a stepfather myself, I rather resent such an assertion, it is ridiculous and smacks of propaganda to me.
I'd be staggered if that was anything close to accurate numbers.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:40 pm   #243
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
“A child is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused if they are raised by say, a mother and a boyfriend, than their mother and father,”

Is that accurate?
It would be surprising if there was not a slight increased risk, but the quote includes 'say' which I can only surmise means it is completely pulled out of thin air.

Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:54 pm   #244
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
It would be surprising if there was not a slight increased risk, but the quote includes 'say' which I can only surmise means it is completely pulled out of thin air.

Most of what the republican fascists quote is pulled out of thin air. Why stop now? I remember when one was saying that something like 90% of what Planned Parenthood does is abortions. Only off by about 90%. They don't care about the facts when they can create their own reality..

edited to say that not all Republicans are fascists. Just the noisy ones. Mostly. Ok, maybe more than that.

http://thechildrenofwestfaliaorphanage.com/

Last edited by dakota44; Mar 18th 2012 at 8:57 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:58 pm   #245
Account Closed

"Family structure is the most important risk factor in child sexual abuse. Children who live with two married biological parents are at low risk for abuse. The risk increases when children live with step-parents or a single parent. Children living without either parent (foster children) are 10 times more likely to be sexually abused than children that live with both biological parents. Children who live with a single parent that has a live-in partner are at the highest risk: they are 20 times more likely to be victims of child sexual abuse than children living with both biological parents (Sedlack, et. al., 2010)."

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...xual_Abuse.htm

Hmmmm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:09 pm   #246
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Family structure is the most important risk factor in child sexual abuse. Children who live with two married biological parents are at low risk for abuse. The risk increases when children live with step-parents or a single parent. Children living without either parent (foster children) are 10 times more likely to be sexually abused than children that live with both biological parents. Children who live with a single parent that has a live-in partner are at the highest risk: they are 20 times more likely to be victims of child sexual abuse than children living with both biological parents (Sedlack, et. al., 2010)."

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGc...xual_Abuse.htm

Hmmmm.
It also does not make any reference as to whether such abuse is in the home, or outside the home. Clearly the Sandusky case shows that children from deprived environments can easily become victims of someone like that. However, the motives of these legislators are questionable, in my opinion. I would have no issue with some program to provide information to single parents regarding how to recognize symptoms as well as how to educate and protect their children. That does not seem to be the gist of this bill. It seems to me more of an attack on single parenting. In my opinion. It suggests that children in foster care are 10 times more likely, but they fail to address that in their legislation. Nor the fact that it is 3 times as high for children of unemployed parents.

Last edited by dakota44; Mar 18th 2012 at 9:32 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:30 pm   #247
Account Closed

Family Structure. Children of single parents were at higher risk of physical abuse and of all types of neglect and were overrepresented among seriously injured, moderately injured, and endangered children. Compared with their counterparts living with both parents, children in single-parent families had

a 77-percent greater risk of being harmed by physical abuse (using the stringent Harm Standard) and a 63-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable physical abuse (using the Endangerment Standard);
an 87-percent greater risk of being harmed by physical neglect and a 165-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable physical neglect;
a 74-percent greater risk of being harmed by emotional neglect and a 64-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable emotional neglect;
a 220-percent (or more than three times) greater risk of being educationally neglected;
an approximately 80-percent greater risk of suffering serious injury or harm from abuse or neglect;
an approximately 90-percent greater risk of receiving moderate injury or harm as a result of child maltreatment; and
a 120-percent (or more than two times) greater risk of being endangered by some type of child abuse or neglect.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/sta...is3.cfm#family

These figures don't look good at all. They do seem to be from a large study and respected sources. I'm shocked by the numbers.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:37 pm   #248
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Family Structure. Children of single parents were at higher risk of physical abuse and of all types of neglect and were overrepresented among seriously injured, moderately injured, and endangered children. Compared with their counterparts living with both parents, children in single-parent families had

a 77-percent greater risk of being harmed by physical abuse (using the stringent Harm Standard) and a 63-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable physical abuse (using the Endangerment Standard);
an 87-percent greater risk of being harmed by physical neglect and a 165-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable physical neglect;
a 74-percent greater risk of being harmed by emotional neglect and a 64-percent greater risk of experiencing any countable emotional neglect;
a 220-percent (or more than three times) greater risk of being educationally neglected;
an approximately 80-percent greater risk of suffering serious injury or harm from abuse or neglect;
an approximately 90-percent greater risk of receiving moderate injury or harm as a result of child maltreatment; and
a 120-percent (or more than two times) greater risk of being endangered by some type of child abuse or neglect.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/sta...is3.cfm#family

These figures don't look good at all. They do seem to be from a large study and respected sources. I'm shocked by the numbers.
The figures would be more enlightening if they broke it down into socioeconomic terms, employment, drug use, living conditions etc. I would be inclined to think that a combination of things is responsible in the case of those statistics. That is the problem with some statistics. They are in relation to the entire population and yet often only a serious problem in a few segments of that population.

Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:39 pm   #249
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
The figures would be more enlightening if they broke it down into socioeconomic terms, employment, drug use, living conditions etc. I would be inclined to think that a combination of things is responsible in the case of those statistics. That is the problem with some statistics. They are in relation to the entire population and yet often only a serious problem in a few segments of that population.
Check the link out. They do all of that. Income is, not surprisingly, the most important factor.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:42 pm   #250
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Check the link out. They do all of that. Income is, not surprisingly, the most important factor.
I will definitely give it a look.

Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:58 pm   #251
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Most of what the republican fascists quote is pulled out of thin air. Why stop now? I remember when one was saying that something like 90% of what Planned Parenthood does is abortions. Only off by about 90%. They don't care about the facts when they can create their own reality..

edited to say that not all Republicans are fascists. Just the noisy ones. Mostly. Ok, maybe more than that.
So, if we're into sweeping generalisations, I can take it from reading your constant tripe, that all Democrats are morons. Well, maybe just the most vociferous ones. OK, maybe more than that.

Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:19 pm   #252
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
So, if we're into sweeping generalisations, I can take it from reading your constant tripe, that all Democrats are morons. Well, maybe just the most vociferous ones. OK, maybe more than that.
Can you be a little less specific, please?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:25 pm   #253
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Can you be a little less specific, please?
Sure.

Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:03 pm   #254
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
Sure.
Thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:11 pm   #255
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
Thank you.
No problem - pleased to help, as always.

Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!