Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:20 pm   #1
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK city of culture 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...f-culture-2021

Coventry has been named the UK’s city of culture for 2021, giving it a one-off opportunity to boost the economy, tourism, civic pride and access to the arts – but also, its backers hope, a chance to be in the limelight and have some fun.

It follows Derry and Hull as the third UK city of culture, a programme modelled on the European capital of culture concept which had such a dramatic effect on the fortunes of Glasgow in 1990 and Liverpool in 2008.

The winner was announced by the arts minister John Glen live on BBC One’s The One Show, shortly after an instructional video for chorizo gnocchi bake and a feature on the decommissioned royal yacht Britannia.

Coventry triumphed over the cities of Swansea, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland and the town of Paisley.

David Burbidge, chair of the Coventry 2021 bid team, said: “It’s huge and just an incredible result. Most importantly, we are bringing this to the people of Coventry and they deserve this, so we are thrilled that we have been selected.”

Office Poster of the Denver Broncos, Ex Superbowl Champions Go Broncos
Warning: My answers may be deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:02 am   #2
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK city of culture 2021

So having almost no profile as "a destination for people looking for culture" is a requirement for winning?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:04 am   #3
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

There is the Ricoh.

2 Cathedrals, one needs some work.

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:13 am   #4
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
There is the Ricoh. .....
Well I suppose that was an incremental improvement over what was there before.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:14 am   #5
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Well I suppose that was an incremental improvement over what was there before.
You do not like Gas Works?

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:20 am   #6
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
You do not like Gas Works?
On the contrary, every city should have one of these on the skyline. I think I heard there are none left.

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:27 am   #7
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Google suggests Fakenham has one left.

Beckton was always my favourite.

Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:55 am   #8
Super Moderator

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...f-culture-2021

Coventry has been named the UK’s city of culture for 2021, giving it a one-off opportunity to boost the economy, tourism, civic pride and access to the arts – but also, its backers hope, a chance to be in the limelight and have some fun.

It follows Derry and Hull as the third UK city of culture, a programme modelled on the European capital of culture concept which had such a dramatic effect on the fortunes of Glasgow in 1990 and Liverpool in 2008.

The winner was announced by the arts minister John Glen live on BBC One’s The One Show, shortly after an instructional video for chorizo gnocchi bake and a feature on the decommissioned royal yacht Britannia.

Coventry triumphed over the cities of Swansea, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland and the town of Paisley.

David Burbidge, chair of the Coventry 2021 bid team, said: “It’s huge and just an incredible result. Most importantly, we are bringing this to the people of Coventry and they deserve this, so we are thrilled that we have been selected.”
Please stop posting links/cut and paste articles without some sort of discussion. As already discussed it is looking more and more like trolling and you are fast running out of lives.

Please contact me here if you have any site related problems.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:13 am   #9
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On the contrary, every city should have one of these on the skyline. I think I heard there are none left.

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6017...1f0eb051_b.jpg
The one in Southall is still there
As kids we thought that it had an arrow on the roof pointing in the direction of the airport at Heathrow.
EMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:29 am   #10
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Google suggests Fakenham has one left.

Beckton was always my favourite.
Yes, I keep toying with the idea of visiting Fakenham, which is said to be Britain's most boring town. It's a convoluted bus trip for me, but with my OAP bus pass, would be free. Problem is, the gasworks museum is only open one hour per week I believe.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:44 pm   #11
**** the FCC

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes, Belfast lost its gasometer years ago, in favor of redevelopment and a park. I mean, the park is nice but the old iron framework gave that part of the city some character. I know we still have the shipyard cranes but I hate how gentrification is completely wiping out all signs of industry in cities now. The Industrial Revolution is what made many British cities what they are today and a bunch of emaciated beardos selling wanky cocktails and artisinal wheat flakes will be long forgotten in a very short time.

Meh. I have to go fix that jumper, the goalposts are a bit wonky.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:01 pm   #12
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The one in Southall is still there
As kids we thought that it had an arrow on the roof pointing in the direction of the airport at Heathrow.
Several attempts were made to distinguish Southall Gasholder from Northolt Gasholder used as landmarks by pilots.

In the past there had been confusion between the Southall gasholder and the Northolt gasholder, in 1960 a Pan Am 707 landed at RAF Northolt thinking it was Heathrow.

Last edited by johnwoo; Dec 8th 2017 at 7:11 pm.
johnwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 10:21 pm   #13
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I used to love drawing industrial skylines as a kid. Grimly beautiful.
Octang Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:07 am   #14
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Quote:

There are two near where I used to live in Sheffield, not far from the M1.
They're deciding whether to knock them down.

I still miss the Tinsley cooling towers that were demolished in 2008. We were there and saw it happen along with a few hundred people in the early hours. It was quite emotional really as they were a local landmark.
Made in Sheffield 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:09 am   #15
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I used to love drawing industrial skylines as a kid. Grimly beautiful.
I love photos of pylons, strangely.
Made in Sheffield 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!