Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:55 pm   #16
Just Joined

taistealai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trump ends 'Dreamers' program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I assume some sort of weird joke.
Not a weird joke, a hyperbolic point.

People should be able to live wherever they want in my opinion, but if one wants to get down to it, Mexicans have more of a right to live on the land that is called the United States of America than people of European descent do, since so many of the places that make America so wealthy, like Texas oil fields, California farmland, Silicon Valley, Hollywood or Las Vegas were Mexico, inhabited wholly by Native Americans and Mexicans (who are mostly native in heritage themsleves) until the yanks conquered that land.
taistealai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:02 pm   #17
Just Joined

taistealai is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes, absolutely a joke.

It was a lot more than two states for a start. What is the poster thinking by limiting it to two

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uplo...r_1850_450.jpg

As for genocide and slavery...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoci...genous_peoples
You're right, it's well more than that, but what I was thinking is that while not having Arizona mightn't have made a big difference, without California and Texas, the United States would not be nearly as rich, as powerful or as influential, most of their resources, agriculture, technological and military innovation and their cultural products come from places that were and should be Mexico. Had they not conquered those places, Mexico would be one of the most important nations on earth and America would be as significant as Canada or less. The least they can do is allow the people that those places really belong to live there unmolested.
taistealai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:08 pm   #18
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

I really can not be bothered, I blame the Schools.

History is quite fascinating, certainly worthy of study.

Office Poster of the Denver Broncos, Ex Superbowl Champions Go Broncos
Warning: My answers may be deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:10 pm   #19

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I really can not be bothered, I blame the Schools.

History is quite fascinating, certainly worthy of study.
I blame the parents myself. And possibly that music people listen to now.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:14 pm   #20

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taistealai View Post
You're right, it's well more than that, but what I was thinking is that while not having Arizona mightn't have made a big difference, without California and Texas, the United States would not be nearly as rich, as powerful or as influential, most of their resources, agriculture, technological and military innovation and their cultural products come from places that were and should be Mexico. Had they not conquered those places, Mexico would be one of the most important nations on earth and America would be as significant as Canada or less. The least they can do is allow the people that those places really belong to live there unmolested.
This country certainly built its wealth on the backs of others. But then, of course, so did the UK - it's just that the British empire was further afield than the new American one, so it's easier for us to forget how Britain's wealth was accumulated.

I don't think we are any worse than anyone else, having said that. Greed is a universal motivator.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:20 pm   #21
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The US is never the aggressor. Therefore during 1847 United States troops invaded central Mexico and occupied the Mexican capital of Mexico City.

The Mexican Cession | The American History Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:40 pm   #22
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
America is a country that was literally built on foreigners coming in (often with nothing, and sometimes in bondage), and two of their most important states were literally stolen from Mexico, ethnically cleansed and resettled. It's hypocritical and frankly embarrassing for them to turn away foreigners. If anything, a Mexican in Los Angeles has more of a right to tell a person to go back to Europe than a white American has a right to tell him to go back to Mexico.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:24 pm   #23
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

This is funny.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:14 pm   #24
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't forget the vidya games ...

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:29 pm   #25
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Don't forget the vidya games ...
Blame GTA. Everyone else does.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:37 pm   #26
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
Blame GTA. Everyone else does.
I couldn't even do that ironically. San Andreas is life.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:04 pm   #27
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
America is a country that was literally built on foreigners coming in (often with nothing, and sometimes in bondage), and two of their most important states were literally stolen from Mexico, ethnically cleansed and resettled. It's hypocritical and frankly embarrassing for them to turn away foreigners. If anything, a Mexican in Los Angeles has more of a right to tell a person to go back to Europe than a white American has a right to tell him to go back to Mexico.
Before the Mexicans were the California Indians don't forget.

BTW I'd hate to live in a California still a province of Mexico if the current state of Mexico proper is anything to go by.
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:08 pm   #28
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
The US is never the aggressor. Therefore during 1847 United States troops invaded central Mexico and occupied the Mexican capital of Mexico City.

The Mexican Cession | The American History Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
I think it's a bit dangerous for we British to criticize anyone else when it comes to past injustices.
There are enough skeletons in our closet
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:47 pm   #29
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I blame gluten. I never exploit anybody when I'm gluten-free. Or is it meat? Shit.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 10:23 pm   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I blame gluten. I never exploit anybody when I'm gluten-free. Or is it meat? Shit.
I hadn't thought of gluten. You're probably right, it's gluten and gluten's buddy, lactose.

The Trail of Tears was as a result of consuming a bun and a glass of milk.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!