Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:58 am   #91
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Trump" Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
[/B]
Where ????
I should have said links at end of article, Energywire. I looked as I thought wow how on earth could someone get away with a specific tax on windpower- I could see reducing subsidies , but specifically attacking windpower ?

"Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin's proposed budget would raise gasoline and diesel taxes to fix a chronic revenue shortfall, while eliminating the state's corporate income tax"
morpeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th 2017, 11:10 am   #92
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I should have said links at end of article, Energywire. I looked as I thought wow how on earth could someone get away with a specific tax on windpower- I could see reducing subsidies , but specifically attacking windpower ?

"Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin's proposed budget would raise gasoline and diesel taxes to fix a chronic revenue shortfall, while eliminating the state's corporate income tax"
Joe Public pay's & Big Business get's a frebee

How in hell doe's this make up the effing shortfall , please explain !!!!
Typical GOP Policy
Old Feb 12th 2017, 1:23 pm   #93
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Joe Public pay's & Big Business get's a frebee

How in hell doe's this make up the effing shortfall , please explain !!!!
Typical GOP Policy
Well I don't know much about that particular state, and I am not sure I understand your question. If there is a budget shortfall and they decide to raise taxes on the different energy sources, that raises money which then can reduce the shortfall. On the surface purely a financial decision, nothing to do with being against wind energy in particular. I don't know enough about Oklahoma politics or economy to have an opinion whether oil interests supported the increased tax on themselves thinking it would slow down competition by the wind power sector being less able to deal with increased taxes.

Reducing corporate taxes to get Oklahoma in a better position to attract business, thus jobs, investment and more tax revenue doesn't seem a bad idea.

Again I don't know Oklahoma's finances, and what sort of oil reserves it has, but wind power is renewable for the long run compared to fossil fuel, maybe a smarter policy would have been to make up for the shortfall by increasing taxes on the upper class, I don't know. Raising taxes on energy avoids the state government saying they are raising income taxes, as not many people sit down and realize how much they are paying in such regressive taxes such as sales, energy, communications and the whole host of different taxes paid.

I don't think either the GOP or the Democrats have bold plans to re-structure the economy for growth which is best way to address economic problems, and in particular this last election shows in many parts of America the working poor and working class are so fed up they are quite willing to vote for a candidate who I think 20 years ago would never have been able to become President. Both parties seem fundamentally clueless what to do.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:00 pm   #94
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I don't know much about that particular state, and I am not sure I understand your question. If there is a budget shortfall and they decide to raise taxes on the different energy sources, that raises money which then can reduce the shortfall. On the surface purely a financial decision, nothing to do with being against wind energy in particular. I don't know enough about Oklahoma politics or economy to have an opinion whether oil interests supported the increased tax on themselves thinking it would slow down competition by the wind power sector being less able to deal with increased taxes.

Reducing corporate taxes to get Oklahoma in a better position to attract business, thus jobs, investment and more tax revenue doesn't seem a bad idea.

Again I don't know Oklahoma's finances, and what sort of oil reserves it has, but wind power is renewable for the long run compared to fossil fuel, maybe a smarter policy would have been to make up for the shortfall by increasing taxes on the upper class, I don't know. Raising taxes on energy avoids the state government saying they are raising income taxes, as not many people sit down and realize how much they are paying in such regressive taxes such as sales, energy, communications and the whole host of different taxes paid.

I don't think either the GOP or the Democrats have bold plans to re-structure the economy for growth which is best way to address economic problems, and in particular this last election shows in many parts of America the working poor and working class are so fed up they are quite willing to vote for a candidate who I think 20 years ago would never have been able to become President. Both parties seem fundamentally clueless what to do.
My daughter lived in Oklahoma for a couple of years, and I helped her with her taxes. A big part of the Oklahoma tax return was about whether or not you're a chicken farmer, how many chickens do you have, etc etc. They clearly think chickens are the way forward rather than wind energy
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:39 pm   #95
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Reducing corporate taxes merely increases dividends for shareholders and passes the financial burden on to the consumers, thereby increasing income inequality.
Wintersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:41 pm   #96
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
Reducing corporate taxes merely increases dividends for shareholders and passes the financial burden on to the consumers, thereby increasing income inequality.

Succinct & to the point !
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:22 am   #97
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
Reducing corporate taxes does not necessarily increase the amount of dividends paid. I am unsure where you would get that idea from.

Reducing the cost of doing business can justify capital investments which can promote growth and productivity- how does one expect to grow an economy without promoting business ? If there were more incentives for business such as lower corporate taxes and regulation that could promote more companies to keep jobs in America and productivity growth which over time contributes to higher wages.

Income inequality is a problem, I would much prefer taxing upper income earners and some sort of negative income tax for those making under $50,000 a year , than putting burdens on the very entities that provide jobs and innovation.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:13 am   #98
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Income inequality is a problem, I would much prefer taxing upper income earners
Like Trump? Oh wait....

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:06 am   #99
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Like Trump? Oh wait....
for example for social security/medicare- why should there be a cap on earnings subject to such tax ? why not in-cap earnings subject to such a tax- and give a corresponding tax credit to those making under $50,000 ? would increase take-home pay straightaway for lower paid workers.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:22 am   #100
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
for example for social security/medicare- why should there be a cap on earnings subject to such tax ? why not in-cap earnings subject to such a tax- and give a corresponding tax credit to those making under $50,000 ? would increase take-home pay straightaway for lower paid workers.
Do you know who "Prat Face" has nominated for the Cabinet Post off Secretary off Labour ????

Donald Trump picks 'sworn foe' of minimum wage as labour secretary | The Independent

With all due respect "get your head out off your arse" & join the real world !
Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:58 pm   #101
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

The assault on the EPA intensifies !

EPA Scientists Held From Attending Alaska Summit
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:03 pm   #102
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Do you know who "Prat Face" has nominated for the Cabinet Post off Secretary off Labour ????

Donald Trump picks 'sworn foe' of minimum wage as labour secretary | The Independent

With all due respect "get your head out off your arse" & join the real world !
Have no idea what relevance that has to the concept I presented, I didn't say I thought Trump would consider such a thought. I saw an interview with Warren Buffet and he made similar point, that it would be a lot easier to deal with minimum wage issue through tax credits, and I remember quite a while ago Milton Friedman wrote about having a negative income tax which I have always thought would make sense. His contention though perhaps offensive to democrats and the left, he said at the time (may be different now) such a tax would cut out the bureaucratic expense of welfare programs and put more money in the pockets of the poor.

And I find it very regressive that people earning under a certain amount have a higher percentage of their earnings subject to social security/medicare taxes than high earners. Low income earners may not pay much in income taxes but they cant avoid social security and medicare taxes.

I believe the above approach would undercut the main objections to raising the minimum wage, be fair and less regressive than current system, and one step towards reducing income inequality.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:09 am   #103
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

It seems the complete & utter disregard for a voters point off is spreading, & the given reply is a threat off arrest !

Iowa Republican threatens teacher with arrest for speaking her mind
Old Feb 15th 2017, 12:17 pm   #104
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Intriguing with so many extremely doggy connections involved + Trump's left the door open for deceit !

Putin's Ties to the Keystone XL Pipeline
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:20 pm   #105
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Reducing corporate taxes does not necessarily increase the amount of dividends paid. I am unsure where you would get that idea from.

Reducing the cost of doing business can justify capital investments which can promote growth and productivity- how does one expect to grow an economy without promoting business ? If there were more incentives for business such as lower corporate taxes and regulation that could promote more companies to keep jobs in America and productivity growth which over time contributes to higher wages.

Income inequality is a problem, I would much prefer taxing upper income earners and some sort of negative income tax for those making under $50,000 a year , than putting burdens on the very entities that provide jobs and innovation.
The weird thing is, I have no recollection of posting that
Wintersong is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!