Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:34 pm   #16

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Trump" Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Healthcare has been a bane for many many years in the USA and you have had many administrations who have tried to fix it and failed. Some think the Obamacare was great others didn't and Trump says he has better ideas.
Does he well time will tell.
Its not that we are not sympathetic but its your country and you chose to to this to your own citizens. Canada adopted its system and it has its faults as well. how many Canadians go to the USA for treatment then the answer is thousands if not millions.

The UK has their NHS system again which has its own faults.
Does any country have a healthcare system without faults?
The point is, that with the exception of Affordable Care which was largely gutted by Congress (read "insurance companies") the US doesn't have a "system" . It doesn't have a system with faults - it has no system at all. Health care is bought and paid for by private citizens according to what they can afford. It's like going shopping for anything else, let's say a coat. You can buy a good, expensive coat if you can, a cheap, less effective coat if you can't, or no coat at all if you haven't the money. And of course you can put it on a credit card if you have one, and pay it down for years. Or if you default, the courts will take everything, including your house, to pay for it. I know two people that has happened to myself.

Take giving birth in a hospital. Not even an illness. The average price for a vaginal birth here is $30,000, and $50,000 if you need a c-section. If you have insurance, you will likely pay $1,500 to $6,000 for things the insurance doesn't cover, and that is after paying premiums all year (for example, I have family coverge for 3 that covers 90% of the cost of covered items and I pay about $8,000 a year for that and my company pays the rest to the insurance company - so I pay both for the health services and the insurance company's costs and profit. And I'm one of the lucky ones). It is known here as "the health care industry", not "service", for a reason. Oh, and if you needed a heart bypass or something you are talking about $200,000.

Quote:

You can change it if you want and could have done it many years ago but you didn't. Ask yourselves why and remember you keep voting for the only 2 parties year after year.
So do we but it was essentially a leader from another party who was or is known as the founder of Canadian healthcare.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

You could also do the same on the environment and climate change but you are choosing not to.
I don't know who the "you" is here, but ever since I have been able to vote in this country I personally have most certainly not chosen any such thing. You have to understand not only how limited the offerings are in terms of parties but also the narrowness of the political spectrum within those parties. And above all, remember that this country is run like a business in its entirety and is run for and by the interests of large companies - including those that sell health insurance. Look at what has happened to every proposal to change that system. It is very easy to say "you" should change that, but I would very much like to know how so answers on a postcard please, if you have them.

This is possibly the most politically disengaged and underinformed country I have ever been in. That is the genius of USA,Inc., - the population is not made up of citizens but of consumers and profit centres. Why they appear to be content to stay that way is a very complicated question and if I had the answer (plus millions of dollars) maybe I could make a difference.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:59 pm   #17
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The you is the country and its citizens.
Oxfam released their annual report and they stated 8 of the richest people in the world had the wealth of 3.6 billion people.
Six of them are American. Gates, Buffett, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Ellison & Bloomberg.
Now fair play to them they earned their money by doing what they did.
The USA spend gazillions on defence and security measures to protect their country. Are they protecting their country when getting involved in certain places which then causes the US to have problems at home.
I certainly don't know what the solution is and I don't think Trump does as well.
Will Trump honestly answer how many US jobs were lost to automation and not to Mexico or China or whatever other countries he says stole them.
Manufacturing jobs to come back don't bank on it.
Sure lets keep continuing to use coal and put miners back to work.
Former Lancastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:16 pm   #18
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The you is the country and its citizens.
Oxfam released their annual report and they stated 8 of the richest people in the world had the wealth of 3.6 billion people.
Six of them are American. Gates, Buffett, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Ellison & Bloomberg.
Now fair play to them they earned their money by doing what they did.
The USA spend gazillions on defence and security measures to protect their country. Are they protecting their country when getting involved in certain places which then causes the US to have problems at home.
I certainly don't know what the solution is and I don't think Trump does as well.
Will Trump honestly answer how many US jobs were lost to automation and not to Mexico or China or whatever other countries he says stole them.
Manufacturing jobs to come back don't bank on it.
Sure lets keep continuing to use coal and put miners back to work.

It's all about the bottom line as it is thru out the world, but USA Companies because off market forces are primarily sourcing most off there products /services overseas .
If joe public in USA was asked to pay another 30% + per unit for USA made products , you can guess the answer.
Walmart is a case in point, massive volume & all from Far East
Have a look at "Walmarts" site

Last edited by Ingles; Jan 21st 2017 at 5:21 pm. Reason: Added link - link nbg removed
Ingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:29 pm   #19
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
It's all about the bottom line as it is thru out the world, but USA Companies because off market forces are primarily sourcing most off there products /services overseas .
If joe public in USA was asked to pay another 30% + per unit for USA made products , you can guess the answer.
Walmart is a case in point, massive volume & all from Far East
Have a look at "Walmarts" site
Back in the 90s I remem ber Walmart having a buy US campaign, then of course tha market started looking at profits and the share price.
Patriotism does not reach the bottom line.
It would be interesting to see just what percentage of US produced products were andcare used in Trumps various business projects.
EMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:35 pm   #20
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Back in the 90s I remem ber Walmart having a buy US campaign, then of course tha market started looking at profits and the share price.
It would be interesting to see just what percentage of US produced products were andcare used in Trumps various business projects.
We all know that he used Chinese steel
Old Jan 21st 2017, 10:35 pm   #21
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
We all know that he used Chinese steel
Plus the odd non US citizen worker.
Former Lancastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:43 am   #22
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...Canada adopted its system and it has its faults as well........The UK has their NHS system again which has its own faults.
Does any country have a healthcare system without faults?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
...the US doesn't have a "system" . It doesn't have a system with faults - it has no system at all......
I was going to say it doesn't have a system with faults, more so that it has a healthcare system without healthcare.

Quote:
Woke up this morning in Canada and nothing has changed. I bet if I drove to the border and presented my passport or NEXUS card then nothing will have changed there either. ....
For someone who always questions our concerns (on the Canada forum) about how events in the UK/Europe/America affect our lives in Canada, you have an awful lot to say about these things. Four comments on this one already.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 22nd 2017 at 2:46 am.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 6:42 am   #23
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I see a positive side to all this. Let Trump and the GOP get everything FUBAR. in 2020 they'll be extinct
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 6:54 am   #24
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
I see a positive side to all this. Let Trump and the GOP get everything FUBAR. in 2020 they'll be extinct
So might the world.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:27 am   #25
paw339 
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
I've no idea what Trump and the GOP intend to to with health care but the Affordable Care Act is FUBAR and is in the process of collapsing due to unaffordable and rising costs. For most individuals the deductibles are so high it is virtually unusable.

I think the the US could pick any one of about 20 different health care systems from around the world and they would be better than the ACA or what they had before and probably better than what the new administration will bring in.
paw339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:52 am   #26
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.1ccda01de3b8

"Make America Great Again"
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:58 am   #27
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Could this be just the start by Trumps Administration to "erode" 1st Amendment rights ?

Trump admin tells National Park Service to halt tweets - CNNPolitics.com

Please read this link very carefully
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 11:20 am   #28
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like Trump when in Moscow was given guidance on how to control the media.
In his speech to the CIA he seems to regard a free media as the biggest threat to his presidency..
Will the Trumpism be the new Macarthy era..
EMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 11:59 am   #29
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Healthcare has been a bane for many many years in the USA and you have had many administrations who have tried to fix it and failed. Some think the Obamacare was great others didn't and Trump says he has better ideas.
Don't fully understand ACA, I don't live in the US, I don't know if it's working or failing but I am fairly sure it's a dumb move to start dismantling it two seconds after becoming President. Wouldn't it be fractionally more smart to come up with a better plan, make sure it's going to work and then dismantle the current plan? Maybe I'm just a naive fool.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:11 pm   #30
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's about whether it's working or not. It's more likely about removing all things Obama from public view.

Most dictators begin their autocracies by eliminating all memory of the previous regime. All pretty normal. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!