Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:28 am   #76
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
[/COLOR]

Which might not be the Tories after next election
Its yet another tactic to steamroll their brexit proposals through parliament..
After that I do not think they give a damn.
EMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:46 am   #77

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iano View Post
Thankfully, we still live in a democracy, where a party leader's personal view doesn't determine policy. Blair might have personally believed he was on a 'mission of god' going into Iraq, and it probably influenced the debate, but he still had to gain Parliamentary approval.
Sure. The only question was whether it was legitimate to insist on questioning him on it, and I say that it is.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:50 pm   #78
Forum Regular

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Precisely my point about him.Nice man or not,his views are archaic. They smack of the old Tory rule. His pedigree makes him the sort of leader the old school love
The do as I say ,not as I do sort. I cannot see him appealing to any forward thinking voter. But then what am I saying. Britain has been heading backwards for a decade now.His appointment would prove that imo.
to the theme from Upstairs Downstairs ... erm... The Master will be taking tea in the library GeniB - use the best silver-tray for the pot & cups to take it up to him.... remember your frilly cap!

ooops...

Last edited by 007Steve; Sep 8th 2017 at 2:01 pm.
007Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:34 pm   #79
iano Male
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Sure. The only question was whether it was legitimate to insist on questioning him on it, and I say that it is.
Ah, I see. Had misinterpreted your "Such views really have no place in a modern government."

Yes, agree, a leader's stance and personal views should always be scrutinised if only because of the influence they wield.

Despite what I think of the personal views of JRM, it is refreshing to see a Tory leadership candidate who appears to have integrity and a conviction politician.
iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:39 pm   #80
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Shhhhhh, we don't even mention the Shankill - because it's a bit ironic that the bastion of loyalism has a name derived from Irish
And just about every town name, townland name, county name, etc in Northern Ireland. It's almost as if the 'Ireland' in the name eludes to something ...

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:50 pm   #81

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah, I see. Had misinterpreted your "Such views really have no place in a modern government."

Yes, agree, a leader's stance and personal views should always be scrutinised if only because of the influence they wield.

Despite what I think of the personal views of JRM, it is refreshing to see a Tory leadership candidate who appears to have integrity and a conviction politician.

Stalin and Heydrich had conviction - and integrity in that they stood by their principles

The important question is about the content of those convictions.

Yes, I know, Godwin's law and no I'm not saying that Moggy is the moral equivalent of Stalin and Heydrich Just talking about how conviction and integrity work.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:22 pm   #82
iano Male
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Stalin and Heydrich had conviction - and integrity in that they stood by their principles

The important question is about the content of those convictions..
One a dictator and the other directly answerable to a dictator with similar personal views, now that is dangerous !

Moggster has conviction, which we're able to reject, but May ? Who knows what hers really is !
iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:10 pm   #83
BE Enthusiast

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One a dictator and the other directly answerable to a dictator with similar personal views, now that is dangerous !

Moggster has conviction, which we're able to reject, but May ? Who knows what hers really is !
She strongly believes in U turns ... must be good for something ?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:27 pm   #84
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Back in court, the Government agreement with the DUP and the 1 billion bribe is being challenged in court next month.
The claim is that it conflicts with the good Friday agreement that states that the UK government should be even handed and not favour one party over another.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:04 am   #85
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
He certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea but in what way has he been hypocritical?

'I believe in the teachings of the Catholic church' was the statement. That is very much a tangible institution.

And again he's not looking to make those decisions for others. He was asked for his personal views and he gave them. He was at pains to explain that does not mean that he would be seeking to impose them on others. Everyone seems to be putting up the same straw man argument that he wants to dictate what women can and can't do regarding abortion which simply isn't true.
The 'teachings of the catholic church are BASED on the illusion of a higher being. Without that wholly unwarranted belief. There would be no church

i'm sorry but when you are in a position of power,as an MP. Your personal beliefs are of the utmost importance because they WILL colour your judgement.

Tim Farron fell foul of someone who believed he was a threat ( Dacre?) he was quickly disposed of ,despite it all being a pack of lies.
GeniB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:10 am   #86
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Not all Catholics blindly follow the church's doctrine. My husband is a practicing Catholic (he's had so much practice that he's pretty good at it now ), and is a vocal advocate of a woman's right to choose. He also married me, a divorcee, which meant that our marriage wasn't recognised by the Catholic church. Did it worry him? Not at all. He's in the clear now though, as my ex-husband died

He's discussed his beliefs and decisions with the local priest, and also informed him that he wouldn't be talking about this in the confessional as he can't accept the church's stance on abortion and marriage (including same sex marriage). The priest was wise enough not to object or try to talk him out of his beliefs and he's still welcomed at Sunday Mass.

I'm not Catholic and I abhor much of the Catholic church's doctrine. Scouse and I have had many lively amicable debates but we agree on the issues that are important to both of us.

The point of my post is that you don't have to be unintelligent or unthinking to be a Catholic. I also don't think that Catholics who agree with their church's stance are unintelligent or unthinking. They're just wrong
Do you mean by that that your OH is' 'Catholic Lite' (sorry couldn't resist)
My sister is a converted happy Catholic and very intelligent..My remark was a personal one.,because i can't see how you can marry the myth with present day knowledge Maybe its just me.?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:13 am   #87
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
to the theme from Upstairs Downstairs ... erm... The Master will be taking tea in the library GeniB - use the best silver-tray for the pot & cups to take it up to him.... remember your frilly cap!

ooops...
He'll be waiting a long time before that happens..
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:17 am   #88
Forum Regular

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
She strongly believes in U turns ... must be good for something ?

May-be... Ha! (I made a funny), she wants to go back to this...
Attached Thumbnails
Tories in chaos-th.jpg  
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:34 am   #89
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

How long will Theresa May survive? She’s the very last person to ask
Her claim that she will lead the Conservatives into the next election is taken seriously by no one in her party
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:41 am   #90
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
How long will Theresa May survive? She’s the very last person to ask
Her claim that she will lead the Conservatives into the next election is taken seriously by no one in her party
The efforts she us taking to rig committees , enforce HenryV111 legislation, bribe the DUP to ensure its support I would not put anything pass her if she decides to hold on to power.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!