Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Jun 11th 2017, 10:24 am   #1
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tories in chaos

It's been suggested in the 'Labour in chaos' thread that it's now 'ories in chaos' so here is a thread to put your comments in.

Seems like May has jumped the gun in announcing that she will be supported by the DUP, they are claiming that nothing has yet been decided.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:47 pm   #2
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

The Tories have always been in chaos only sometimes more than others. This is a 'sometime'.
la mancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:39 pm   #3
iano Male
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Spotted yesterday. She's obviously had enough, and now diversifying...

iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:42 pm   #4
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it fantastic?
Sally Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:07 am   #5
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Now the DUP have been warned off criticising Gay Marriage, they might be licking their wounds.....

But a leopard CAN change its spots - back in the day Paisley's DUP wanted the border sealed, whereas now they say they want it open (even though they're pro-Brexit). Then again, with the border sealed, Peter Robinson would have found it more difficult to beat up unarmed Gardai. Maybe not so much leopards as hyenas.....
DUP terror links and other skeletons in cupboard of party propping up Tory 'coalition of chaos' - Daily Record
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:19 pm   #6
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

More problems for the Tories, the Queen's speech has had to be delayed for a few days, probably because they haven't yet got an agreement with the DUP, but she will meet the Parliamentary party this afternoon, and it would be great to be a fly on the wall for that. There are more problems because the UK Parliament is NOT supposed to interfere with NI politics, but giving the DUP any say could be construed as interference and lead to the fact that the power sharing at Stormont will be in big trouble, and could lead to problems for the Good Friday agreement.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:41 pm   #7

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
More problems for the Tories, the Queen's speech has had to be delayed for a few days, probably because they haven't yet got an agreement with the DUP, but she will meet the Parliamentary party this afternoon, and it would be great to be a fly on the wall for that. There are more problems because the UK Parliament is NOT supposed to interfere with NI politics, but giving the DUP any say could be construed as interference and lead to the fact that the power sharing at Stormont will be in big trouble, and could lead to problems for the Good Friday agreement.
I posted this on one of these threads. Can't remember which now.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ears-hard-work
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:10 pm   #8
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Isn't it fantastic?
Not going to lie, it is quite nice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Now the DUP have been warned off criticising Gay Marriage, they might be licking their wounds.....

But a leopard CAN change its spots - back in the day Paisley's DUP wanted the border sealed, whereas now they say they want it open (even though they're pro-Brexit). Then again, with the border sealed, Peter Robinson would have found it more difficult to beat up unarmed Gardai. Maybe not so much leopards as hyenas.....
DUP terror links and other skeletons in cupboard of party propping up Tory 'coalition of chaos' - Daily Record
The DUP might be a bunch of bigoted, theocratic troglodytes (and we'll not mention the UVF just now), but even they know how a closed border with the Republic of Ireland could hurt the already strained NI economy.

I hate this party with the passion of a thousand burning suns but that being said, **** me if it's not at just a little bit nice that Westminster will have to at least pretend to care about what happens in NI for a little bit.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:12 pm   #9

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

The DUP might be a bunch of bigoted, theocratic troglodytes (and we'll not mention the UVF just now), but even they know how a closed border with the Republic of Ireland could hurt the already strained NI economy.

I hate this party with the passion of a thousand burning suns but that being said, **** me if it's not at just a little bit nice that Westminster will have to at least pretend to care about what happens in NI for a little bit.
Excellent point about NI.

And to be fair, they won't be the only troglodytes in Westminster. I mean, Boris.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:20 pm   #10
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Excellent point about NI.

And to be fair, they won't be the only troglodytes in Westminster. I mean, Boris.
I'm still really disappointed that it was the DUP and the Shinners (who won't even take their seats, so what's the ****ing point) who won all the seats, except for that one independent candidate who always wins North Down.

I mean, we have (or at least used to have) a moderate centre-right option in the UUP, a moderate centre-right pro-UI but pro-EU voice in the SDLP (and there will be no united Ireland without a referendum so NI voters who are mildly conservative by pro-EU need not worry about voting for them as an option if they align with them on other matters) and a moderate centre-left option in Alliance. But oh no, NI had to go full mental on this one.

Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:24 pm   #11

Quote:
I'm still really disappointed that it was the DUP and the Shinners (who won't even take their seats, so what's the ****ing point) who won all the seats, except for that one independent candidate who always wins North Down.

I mean, we have (or at least used to have) a moderate centre-right option in the UUP, a moderate centre-right pro-UI but pro-EU voice in the SDLP (and there will be no united Ireland without a referendum so NI voters who are mildly conservative by pro-EU need not worry about voting for them as an option if they align with them on other matters) and a moderate centre-left option in Alliance. But oh no, NI had to go full mental on this one.
Where did the DUP growth come from? Why did it happen?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:28 pm   #12
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd have to agree, IF I thought the DUP wouldn't try to use it to roll back the GFA reforms.... or to plug a big hole in their finances care of a certain first Minister.

Oh and IF I thought their partners would actually take any more notice than they absolutely have to - or that they won't store up any points conceded to deliver a monster slapping when the support is no longer required.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:40 pm   #13
Bash the fash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Where did the DUP growth come from? Why did it happen?
Honestly, I don't really know.

Traditionally, it was the Ulster Unionists who were the largest party in NI, with the SDLP the next largest and then the rest fell in behind them. In the early 2000s, the DUP took over as the largest part and Sinn Fein have been growing steadily in support since the 90s.

Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:43 pm   #14
Bash the fash

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I'd have to agree, IF I thought the DUP wouldn't try to use it to roll back the GFA reforms.... or to plug a big hole in their finances care of a certain first Minister.

Oh and IF I thought their partners would actually take any more notice than they absolutely have to - or that they won't store up any points conceded to deliver a monster slapping when the support is no longer required.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have just about anybody other than Sinn Fein as our representative in government than the DUP. It's only the part about maintaining the open border and freedom of movement with ROI that I agree with. As far as the rest of their ideas go, they can all go jump in one of Arlene's RHI boilers.

Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:34 am   #15
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

This is like a medieval play isn't it. What would the Queen do to stay in power?

Kill the princes in the tower. syndrome. How tough has TM had to be .. exactly?

Start a war?

End a peace?

Bring back a backstabber!..Fill her court with those sycophants from her Oxford days.

Get in bed with the enemy?.

What is patently clear is that she doesn't give a flying F**k about the people of the UK or NI
What we say,how we vote,is entirely irrelevant .. She and her Oxford chums are on a mission.It matters not which one of them is in power. They are interchangeable .With one cause. Absolute Power at any price . Anyone in the party to stop them?
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!