Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:54 pm   #1
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Shithole Countries comment.

Now before we get into the meat and potatoes of this comment how many BE posters on a number of threads on BE or in general conversation with others have described a country, city, town, football (soccer) ground or any type of venue a Shithole? I put my hand up.
I can guarantee you that we say it a lot of the time in a fun sarcastic or truthful way but I like you and many others are not the President of the USA.

Hardly diplomatic language to be said by any world leader in a meeting of Government officials but hey when we hear who said it did it really surprise anyone.

This morning I have read several media articles from various English language newspapers who allow comments sections. No surprise there are many who are outraged and yet there are many who say he was telling the truth.

Now true to form he has been defended to a degree by his Administration that if it was even said (no transcript or recording) and now the deflection tactics are in overdrive.
Im certainly not defending him nor justifying the comment itself however is there somewhat an element of truth to the actual comment itself?
Its not the people living in these countries who are the problem its the corrupt despotic leaders who have made them into the types of countries he described.
Seriously how many of us are booking vacations to these countries and if not why not?
Many Canadians have no intention of visiting Detroit yet thousands cross over each weekend from Southern Ontario for a number of reasons. I think I might have heard on the odd occasion as Detroit being called a shithole. Actually quite a few comments were describing the USA as a shithole with certain nicer parts to visit.
Trump is gonna be Trump and you elected him well the Electoral College Vote did and you have over 2 years of him left.
Former Lancastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:33 pm   #2
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Shithole Countries comment.

The obvious danger in this is that as a global leader and (additionally, highly controversial for exactly these reasons) president of the US, "shithole" can be anything or anyone he disagrees with. A highly convenient, if irrelevant connotation that many people take seriously.

So, apparently, Norway isn't a "shithole", but which ones are? Spain? Italy? (they do have brownish types like other "shithole" countries). How about China? Japan? (slanty eyes and stuff, besides they eat some weird shit). And then there's those Brits... They used to be our friends, but now they're all back to the lefty stuff.. Climate change, Iran, all miffed about Britain first... And now, they don't want me to come and bless their shithole country with my supreme power and glowing orange presence.

I still can't get over the Norway thing. Why would Norwegians want to move to the US? You know, Don, the "shithole" "rest of the world" has come a long way since 1776. Maybe you ought to subject your own country to the same "shithole" test (whatever that is) that you apply to the "rest of the world". You know, just to stay up to date on things...

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 12th 2018 at 5:45 pm.
amideislas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:19 pm   #3
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Now before we get into the meat and potatoes of this comment how many BE posters on a number of threads on BE or in general conversation with others have described a country, city, town, football (soccer) ground or any type of venue a Shithole? I put my hand up.
I can guarantee you that we say it a lot of the time in a fun sarcastic or truthful way but I like you and many others are not the President of the USA.

Hardly diplomatic language to be said by any world leader in a meeting of Government officials but hey when we hear who said it did it really surprise anyone.

This morning I have read several media articles from various English language newspapers who allow comments sections. No surprise there are many who are outraged and yet there are many who say he was telling the truth.

Now true to form he has been defended to a degree by his Administration that if it was even said (no transcript or recording) and now the deflection tactics are in overdrive.
Im certainly not defending him nor justifying the comment itself however is there somewhat an element of truth to the actual comment itself?
Its not the people living in these countries who are the problem its the corrupt despotic leaders who have made them into the types of countries he described.
Seriously how many of us are booking vacations to these countries and if not why not?
Many Canadians have no intention of visiting Detroit yet thousands cross over each weekend from Southern Ontario for a number of reasons. I think I might have heard on the odd occasion as Detroit being called a shithole. Actually quite a few comments were describing the USA as a shithole with certain nicer parts to visit.
Trump is gonna be Trump and you elected him well the Electoral College Vote did and you have over 2 years of him left.

Yeah, that's all lovely except for the fact that remark was made in the context of trying to keep the people from the "shitholes" from being allowed to immigrate to the US.

It would have been a little different if he had said, "Those wonderful Haitains, how horrible that they have to live in a shithole country. Let's open up immigration for them so that they too can live in the US and soon they'll be farting through silk like me, your wonderful president".

But he didn't say that, did he?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:22 pm   #4
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
The obvious danger in this is that as a global leader and (additionally, highly controversial for exactly these reasons) president of the US, "shithole" can be anything or anyone he disagrees with. A highly convenient, if irrelevant connotation that many people take seriously.

So, apparently, Norway isn't a "shithole", but which ones are? Spain? Italy? (they do have brownish types like other "shithole" countries). How about China? Japan? (slanty eyes and stuff, besides they eat some weird shit). And then there's those Brits... They used to be our friends, but now they're all back to the lefty stuff.. Climate change, Iran, all miffed about Britain first... And now, they don't want me to come and bless their shithole country with my supreme power and glowing orange presence.

I still can't get over the Norway thing. Why would Norwegians want to move to the US? You know, Don, the "shithole" "rest of the world" has come a long way since 1776. Maybe you ought to subject your own country to the same "shithole" test (whatever that is) that you apply to the "rest of the world". You know, just to stay up to date on things...
Don't forget, whenever it's convenient for him, he talks about what a shithole the US is.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:03 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Trump wont lose the next election because of his way out of line comments and tweets. Ninety percent of people don't care much about that, They care about the economy, their jobs, the stock market, their 401s, how good their schools are, the crime rate and financing their kids through college.
If he doesn't get impeached and is cleared of any collusion, the economy continues to grow, less taxes, incomes grow along with jobs he'll be in for another 4 years in 2020.

Tasteless and tactless comments never lost an election. It's only job performance that counts.

And if he says Haiti is a shit hole it actually is. The country never recovered from the Duvaliers, massive corruption continues to exist demonstrated not least by the fact that people are still living in tents years after the big quake despite the millions of dollars that were given in aid. No doubt a very large portion of that money now lies in the Swiss bank accounts of the current douche bags in charge of governing the island and I use the word "governing" very, very loosely

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 12th 2018 at 8:06 pm.
dc koop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:25 pm   #6
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Trump wont lose the next election because of his way out of line comments and tweets. Ninety percent of people don't care much about that, They care about the economy, their jobs, the stock market, their 401s, how good their schools are, the crime rate and financing their kids through college.
If he doesn't get impeached and is cleared of any collusion, the economy continues to grow, less taxes, incomes grow along with jobs he'll be in for another 4 years in 2020.

Tasteless and tactless comments never lost an election. It's only job performance that counts.

And if he says Haiti is a shit hole it actually is. The country never recovered from the Duvaliers, massive corruption continues to exist demonstrated not least by the fact that people are still living in tents years after the big quake despite the millions of dollars that were given in aid. No doubt a very large portion of that money now lies in the Swiss bank accounts of the current douche bags in charge of governing the island and I use the word "governing" very, very loosely
However moronic Trump is or however even more moronic he is unless the democrats can come up with an iconic candidate like Obama Trump will if he choses and is mentally or physically capable of standing will win.
Reagan proved that for the average American it is the economy that matters.

The middle American , southern voter does not give a toss about his latest views.
They probably agree with him.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:32 pm   #7
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've worked in quite a few places I'd describe as a shithole so will hold my hand up too.

I think a Utd fan and a City fan discussing places in a pub will quite often use that phrase (Liverpool springs to mind) but for the leader of the free world to do it is idiotic, moronic, etc etc
Garbatellamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:26 pm   #8
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...when we hear who said it did it really surprise anyone?
Actually, yes, it did.
My flabber has never been so gasted.

I saw the word in various places on different sites yesterday without reading what it was about and it never occurred to me that it might be something he said.

Some months ago I wondered if there was nobody actually advising him to be a little more careful with his utterances and if there were and he was ignoring the advice why weren't they resigning so as not to be associated with him as it would likely damage them to have "advisor to President Cretin" on their CV/Résumé.

I think I have my answer now.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:38 pm   #9
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Actually, yes, it did.
My flabber has never been so gasted...
And it seems I'm not the only one.

US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach, amid global shock
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:50 pm   #10
Now fully retired!

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
However moronic Trump is or however even more moronic he is unless the democrats can come up with an iconic candidate like Obama Trump will if he choses and is mentally or physically capable of standing will win.
Reagan proved that for the average American it is the economy that matters.

The middle American , southern voter does not give a toss about his latest views.
They probably agree with him.
BBC2 Newsnight a few minutes ago had a short interview with a US based psychiatrist who appeared to be (dancing around a handbag, as is often typical in this kind of thing) declaring him as "dangerous". At least she gave credible examples of his behaviour to justify that call.

And also hand-baggedly dancing again re-enforcing EMR's last two lines...
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:15 am   #11
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you just take illegal immigration and deportations of such people and other immigration measures implemented since Trump became President then his supporters would say he is doing a good job

Here are some reported facts by USCBP
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) removed approximately 226,000 people from the country in the 2017 fiscal year, which ended on Sept. 30, down 6 percent from the previous year.
The 2017 deportations were lower than at any time during the Obama administration, according to previous DHS statistics.

So Obama was deporting people but very little said about it.

But ICE officers arrested far more suspected illegal immigrants in the months after President Donald Trump took office than in the same period last year. Between Jan. 20 and Sept. 30, the agency arrested nearly 111,000 people, a 42 percent increase over the prior year.

So Trump was carrying out a campaign promise.

One reason for the decrease in deportations was that fewer people appeared to be trying to cross U.S. borders illegally U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) reported approximately 311,000 apprehensions in the 2017 fiscal year and 216,000 people trying to enter at official ports of entry despite being inadmissible. That was down 23.7 percent from the previous year.
Overall removals are down because the border is under better control than it has been in 45 years,” said Thomas Homan, the ICE deputy director, at a news conference.
“We’re still arresting nearly 1,000 people a day coming across the border,” said Ronald Vitiello, the CBP acting deputy commissioner.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1DZ2O5

In the 2017 year its estimated approx 20,000 fled north to Canada either to avoid deportation or scared that their Temporary Protection Status would end. This has saved the US Govt a bit of money. With TPS being suspended for other countries and due to be suspended there are approx 434,000 living in the US who need to have their status made permanent or leave or go North.

Thousands have commented that they will avoid travelling to the USA due to his latest comments and one of the last reports stated tourism was down 4%.

Trump will say his immigration policies are working.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:20 am   #12
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the outrage can be boiled down into "I can't believe he said that" and "What he said is a blatant lie." Does anyone contest that Haiti isn't, in fact, a shithole?
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:26 am   #13
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
I suppose the outrage can be boiled down into "I can't believe he said that" and "What he said is a blatant lie." Does anyone contest that Haiti isn't, in fact, a shithole?
Well when you consider its neighbour who shares the same island who seem to have no problem attracting tourists then you sort of start wondering what happened and why the difference between the Dominican Republic and Haiti although a brief history can be found here
Haiti and the Dominican Republic: One island, two worlds | Global Ideas | DW | 12.02.2013
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:38 am   #14
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
I don't know. I've never been there. Regardless, I certainly don't want Trump to become the arbitror of any such decisions. With his megaphone, that's exactly what he's doing. This nonsense about --- oh, well, this is how guys talk to each other in bars --- Trump is not a guy in a bar. He antagonizes large swathes of people with his utterances. It causes upset and hurts the standing of the US as a world player. And for what? What possible reason other than to agitate and separate the people inside of the US.

On the question of Haiti, we can all make the decision for ourselves if we ever go there. Has Trump ever visited Haiti?
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:43 am   #15
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Oh, I have a great idea.

Let's start a thread in order to point out what a horrible place Haiti is and therefore it will magically become okay that the POTUS called it a shithole. I'm up to speed now, TYSM.

Last edited by Leslie; Jan 13th 2018 at 1:26 am.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!