Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:20 pm   #1201
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU referendum and India (Off topic posts removed from the EU thread) 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Oh! Morpeth, how you seem to exhibit some ?deliberate misinterpretation of posts.
To repeat I said "Indian businessmen indicated more EXCHANGE of professionals and Students would be necessary.
It is a two way process of exchange of knowledge etc--not just business people--they were just the ones who said it.
The visa processes are also two way--why is that not obvious to you---
It is nothing to do with "remittances" back home.
Nothing deliberate- all I pointed out was from the Indian side obviously they wished easier process of visas, and also emigration so India could have more remittances- and I thought would be obvious if they were asking that they would at same time ease any existing visa process for foreigners. Actually I didn't know it was difficulty for British business people to get visas for India, was the issue work visas ?
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:30 pm   #1202
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU referendum and India (Off topic posts removed from the EU thread) 2

Quote:
We were discussing the particular issue of future EXCHANGE of professionals and students for which remittances doesn't apply)

(Aside from this the figure doesn't take into account the money earned/property sales by British and transferred to UK.)
Good point Bipat that in looking at the remittance issue ne would have to consider remittances from Uk citizens living in India, opening up their own shops , restaurants or whatever, and sending money back home, compared to what Indians in Britain send back home. On the surface since I am unaware of any mass migration of any significant number of UK citizens to India any where near the amount of Indians steadily entering the UK over recent decades I would guess Indian remittances from the UK to India are maybe 500 to 1000 to even 5000 times more than what UK citizens in India remit to the Uk- and double or triple that amount if only ethnic English are counted. ( I am just considering individuals ).

More professionals and students from India in the end means more migrants, kind of a back door way of immigration in many cases.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:11 pm   #1203
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Good point Bipat that in looking at the remittance issue ne would have to consider remittances from Uk citizens living in India, opening up their own shops , restaurants or whatever, and sending money back home, compared to what Indians in Britain send back home. On the surface since I am unaware of any mass migration of any significant number of UK citizens to India any where near the amount of Indians steadily entering the UK over recent decades I would guess Indian remittances from the UK to India are maybe 500 to 1000 to even 5000 times more than what UK citizens in India remit to the Uk- and double or triple that amount if only ethnic English are counted. ( I am just considering individuals ).

More professionals and students from India in the end means more migrants, kind of a back door way of immigration in many cases.
The figure posted by EMR was a global figure.

Yes obviously far more money is sent to India than brought to UK, however the latter also includes the sale of inherited property and transfer of money by UK people of Indian origin--and property prices are soaring there in cities!
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:31 pm   #1204
BE Forum Addict

Quote:

Yes obviously far more money is sent to India than brought to UK, however the latter also includes the sale of inherited property and transfer of money by UK people of Indian origin--and property prices are soaring there in cities!
The Indian government has every incentive to get more Indians into Britain for both financial and political reasons - the more successful they are the greater their influence will be politically and financially over time. Quite a smart strategy, sort of reverse colonialism !

Completely off-topic, why is it that Indians I have met in USA and UK tend to be mainly from the Punjab ? Maybe just coincidence but I would say 90% of Indians I run across come from the Punjab. In town I am from there are some Indians, mainly run convenience stores of take-aways and a few at the hospital, all come from or descended from Punjabis. One shop owner I have coffee with every other week I posed the question to- his answer was Punjabis are harder workers and more enterprising !
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:33 pm   #1205
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But it will also include those in business.
It will still be a significant amount and adds to the attractions of living and working in the UK.
As you say moving the UK , working, , buying a property, returning or retiring ,selling your UK property could be a very attractive proposition.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:15 pm   #1206
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
But it will also include those in business.
It will still be a significant amount and adds to the attractions of living and working in the UK.
As you say moving the UK , working, , buying a property, returning or retiring ,selling your UK property could be a very attractive proposition.
You seem to have misunderstood!

The figure you gave was a global figure not just remittance from the UK.

My last post referred to British people of Indian origin and a few of British origin inheriting property in India and transferring funds to the UK.
The property prices in cities in India are soaring.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:20 pm   #1207

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn''t we all just go out for a nice curry? I'm tired of constant arguments.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:26 pm   #1208
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
The Indian government has every incentive to get more Indians into Britain for both financial and political reasons - the more successful they are the greater their influence will be politically and financially over time. Quite a smart strategy, sort of reverse colonialism !

Completely off-topic, why is it that Indians I have met in USA and UK tend to be mainly from the Punjab ? Maybe just coincidence but I would say 90% of Indians I run across come from the Punjab. In town I am from there are some Indians, mainly run convenience stores of take-aways and a few at the hospital, all come from or descended from Punjabis. One shop owner I have coffee with every other week I posed the question to- his answer was Punjabis are harder workers and more enterprising !
Those from Punjab and Gujarat form the largest number but sizeable numbers from Goa, Kerala, also some Tamils others small numbers.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:37 pm   #1209
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Couldn''t we all just go out for a nice curry? I'm tired of constant arguments.
So am I---

I keep making a resolution not to read this thread--but then I see the names Morpeth and EMR and as with all my resolutions--- too weak willed, I reply.
Any way my last post uncontroversial--------?

Anyway finally booked the flight tickets, Jet airways dreadful website ---only two seats left at this price----only 15 mins to complete booking----
Need more than just a curry to calm down.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:41 pm   #1210
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You seem to have misunderstood!

The figure you gave was a global figure not just remittance from the UK.

My last post referred to British people of Indian origin and a few of British origin inheriting property in India and transferring funds to the UK.
The property prices in cities in India are soaring.
The immigration debate in the UK Is a very important factor post brexit which may or may not relate to trade . Personally I do not think any UK government will risk linking higher immigration numbers from anywhere to trade having seen the reaction to EU migration .
That does not diminish the attraction the UK has for those looking to improve their position or by remittances those in their home country.

An estimated 14 % of those of or from an Indian origin remitt funds to India.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:55 pm   #1211

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So am I---

I keep making a resolution not to read this thread--but then I see the names Morpeth and EMR and as with all my resolutions--- too weak willed, I reply.

Anyway finally booked the flight tickets, Jet airways dreadful website ---only two seats left at this price----only 15 mins to complete booking----
I would give a lot to be able to go to India. I have some Indian cousins due to an indiscretion by an ancestor (he ran two families, one in England and one in India. The English side knew nothing about them until decades later.)

Anyway, I've been watching this and I'm hungry. Beautifully filmed, nothing to do with the EU.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja...nya_Kahaniyaan
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:01 pm   #1212
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
So am I---

Don,t you realise, our posts are in response to yours.
That is how a forum works.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:03 pm   #1213
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahead of the Commonwealth Heads of State meeting in London in April.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62461441.cms

Liam Fox doing something!
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:27 pm   #1214
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Ahead of the Commonwealth Heads of State meeting in London in April.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62461441.cms

Liam Fox doing something!
Who ?

He has not been mentioned this week of cabinet changes, was he even there.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:06 am   #1215
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Who ?

He has not been mentioned this week of cabinet changes, was he even there.
Busy meeting Suresh Prabhu if you read the link.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!