Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:05 am   #46
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU referendum and India (Off topic posts removed from the EU thread) 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Now then.

About that EU / India stalled trade talks business, now it's got its own thread :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...eal-india-meps

Well, well. Fancy that, eh?

The UK was at least partly responsible for the holdup all along on grounds of objections to more skilled worker visas and to Indian tariffs on whisky. Who would have thought it?

Now the UK is not going to be part of the EU any more, of course, they can drop the visa and tariff objections altogether. And the EU should back off from closing their long-awaited stalled deal because India is the UK's.
It is far more complicated than the Guardian suggests, Shashi Tharoor is member of the opposition party keeps 'flipping about' between parties--bit of a Boris Johnson!!
Generic drugs were another problem which the UK would accept/not the EU.
The cars ---that EMR keeps going on about!
The student issue was partly about bogus colleges.
Visas--they had already come to a reciprocal agreement on speeding up visa process for business people.
Whisky important but the wine industry is expanding here--another EU problem with tariffs.

EU as I kept saying is obviously wanting to reopen negotiations ---3 delegations here, more interest than the EU has shown before in its entire history. It will be interesting.
Bipat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:46 am   #47
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU referendum and India (Off topic posts removed from the EU thread) 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Talking of which, where is he? I thought you two might be spending a little more time together now you've got your own room
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:59 am   #48
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

EU as I kept saying is obviously wanting to reopen negotiations ---3 delegations here, more interest than the EU has shown before in its entire history. It will be interesting.
I think that's perfectly expectable. The UK has little choice but to throw something together in record time. Not necessarily for economic reasons, but for political ones. 2020 elections coming...

In contrast, the EU doesn't have the urgency and has the luxury of being more strategic. Besides, the EU represents a much larger opportunity for India.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:12 am   #49
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

The EU is also trying to negoatiate an agreement with Mercosur. They have been add it for more than 12 years now with long breaks in between and just re-opened negotiations recently. So what is happening with Indi is nothing special.

P.S. I am sure that thr EU sent, is sending and will be sending delegations to Mercosur at lot of times. Usually comprising more than one person
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:03 am   #50
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
The EU is also trying to negoatiate an agreement with Mercosur. They have been add it for more than 12 years now with long breaks in between and just re-opened negotiations recently. So what is happening with Indi is nothing special.

P.S. I am sure that thr EU sent, is sending and will be sending delegations to Mercosur at lot of times. Usually comprising more than one person
As I pointed out above, 3 delegations, more than 20 people, more interest than the EU has shown in the history of the EU. Not just trade being discussed.
We will see what happens!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:11 am   #51
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is far more complicated than the Guardian suggests, Shashi Tharoor is member of the opposition party keeps 'flipping about' between parties--bit of a Boris Johnson!!
Generic drugs were another problem which the UK would accept/not the EU.
The student issue was partly about bogus colleges.
Visas--they had already come to a reciprocal agreement on speeding up visa process for business people.
Whisky important but the wine industry is expanding here--another EU problem with tariffs.

Now that the UK is leaving the EU, India is free to ignore the issues it has with the UK side of negotiations and concentrate on the EU issues.

It seems that the main issues that stalled previous negotiations were mostly between the UK and India, but an EU without the UK should be able to make a deal.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:23 am   #52
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Now that the UK is leaving the EU, India is free to ignore the issues it has with the UK side of negotiations and concentrate on the EU issues.

It seems that the main issues that stalled previous negotiations were mostly between the UK and India, but an EU without the UK should be able to make a deal.
You have been reading the Guardian --see above. It is not "mostly between UK and India".
There have been many problems on both sides over the years.
As I said earlier the reaction after Brexit announcement from Indian business men in London was positive ++ that they there could now be a FTD with UK.

However as said above a deal with the EU would be more valuable.
Await with interest!!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:29 am   #53
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have been reading the Guardian --see above. It is not "mostly between UK and India".
There have been many problems on both sides over the years.
As I said earlier the reaction after Brexit announcement from Indian business men in London was positive ++ that they there could now be a FTD with UK.

However as said above a deal with the EU would be more valuable.
Await with interest!!
Actually, no. I didn't read the Guardian. I used Google.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 11:56 am   #54
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Talking of which, where is he? I thought you two might be spending a little more time together now you've got your own room
Just seen your post---I had also wondered where he was! He would be going on about 'cars'.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:02 pm   #55
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Quote:
Just seen your post---I had also wondered where he was! He would be going on about 'cars'.
As this is a new thread instead of the original moved posts, I think you actively have to suscribe to this thread (or post here). And EMR may not have done so.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:47 pm   #56
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As I pointed out above, 3 delegations, more than 20 people, more interest than the EU has shown in the history of the EU. Not just trade being discussed.
We will see what happens!

I am sure you are informed about the size of every delegation that the EU has ever sent out to make this claim-
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:31 pm   #57
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
I am sure you are informed about the size of every delegation that the EU has ever sent out to make this claim-
I read several daily news papers, which reported on this, watch TV news and discussion programmes, How do you get your information?

(Have relatives with German business partners and some of that particular family are settled in Germany so get the usual pro-remain talk from them but are open minded enough to discuss pros and cons!!)
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:33 pm   #58
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Don't talk about the war.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:44 pm   #59
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am in Laos, broadening my horizons,looking for trade opportunities post brexit
Must be some huge potential being outside of the EU.
Met some gujaratis complaining about the lack of decent Indian food in Laos???

Last edited by EMR; Feb 26th 2017 at 2:47 pm.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:01 pm   #60
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I am in Laos, broadening my horizons...
Beyond the Bosphorus, then?

Fantastic - have a great time I'm a little jealous now.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!