Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:32 pm   #16
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
That's nice. Trade agreements are complex, and there are many stakeholders, all with a different agenda. Somehow, they need to find common ground, and until that happens, nothing does.

It's worth pointing out that the larger the trading partner, the more stakeholders, but the stakes are much higher. If they spend 10 years finding acceptable common ground facilitating trillions in mutually beneficial trade for generations, well, then perhaps it's worth it. And a decade of negotiation isn't all that insane, especially for two giants.

Having said that, I reckon a little country like Britain would have fewer disparities amongst stakeholders, especially since it will be desperate for trade, and willing to capitulate in many contentious areas. Besides, as a modest economy, the stakes will be much lower. For India anyway. Might only take 5 years...
Excellent post. Trade deals are complicated with many stakeholders to contend with. Looking at the history of trade deals since WWII. how many have taken years to complete.

India certainly wishes to maintain the positive momentum of recent decades and deal with tens of millions of people in severe poverty, while UK has its own issues but as you well point out one would think some degree of consensus to make up for the potential effects of Brexit. Even if Brexit is a good thing, certainly it will have some negative effects if it reduces competitiveness of British exports to the EU.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 3:47 am   #17
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It was a report in this mornings Deccan Herald, why would it be on the BBC's website? post 13487.
I thought it would be interesting---wish I hadn't bothered.

These were investment treaties with individual EU countries due to expire. The free trade deal had completely come to a halt some time ago after 9 years of on/off talks. They are separate issues!!

After the referendum result there was a suggestion in business circles that the UK would be easier to get a free trade deal with than the EU.
--The fact that the EU might try again with India --means to me that the EU would probably prefer this not to happen or get their deal first.
-that last idea is just my guess!
If it was big news it might have been on a big news website.

I read the article, I know exactly what it's about, we discussed this posts ago.
These need to be extended or there won't be any trade. If there is no trade, nobody benefits. If there is still trade then people benefit, if there is trade you'd think it might help make an EU wide trade deal.

I honestly, honestly don't care if the UK or the EU have a trade deal with India first or second. I expect both will happen at some point.

The EU is a market of 500 million people so has some weight behind it. It takes time to ensure good deals but with South Korea it took the EU 5 years, eliminating 99% of tariffs. This saved EU businesses over a billion quid and meant expors to South Korea went over 6billion. It's taken the Australians, as a single nation 20yrs to get to the same level.

Given that 8 of the UK's top 10 trading partners are in Europe, I'd suggest that should be the first place for the UK to focus it's efforts, not with India where even the EU can't reach an agreement.

If the EU and India haven't reached an agreement after 9 years as two relative heavyweights, what makes you think the UK will reach one quickly? By bending over? Would probably have to, but what's the appeal in that?

Bipat, please remember that the world, the UK, the moon, the stars, the universe and this forum do not revolve around India. It does not deserve this airtime as a non-trade partner of the UK or the EU.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:29 am   #18
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
If it was big news it might have been on a big news website.

I read the article, I know exactly what it's about, we discussed this posts ago.
These need to be extended or there won't be any trade. If there is no trade, nobody benefits. If there is still trade then people benefit, if there is trade you'd think it might help make an EU wide trade deal.

I honestly, honestly don't care if the UK or the EU have a trade deal with India first or second. I expect both will happen at some point.

The EU is a market of 500 million people so has some weight behind it. It takes time to ensure good deals but with South Korea it took the EU 5 years, eliminating 99% of tariffs. This saved EU businesses over a billion quid and meant expors to South Korea went over 6billion. It's taken the Australians, as a single nation 20yrs to get to the same level.

Given that 8 of the UK's top 10 trading partners are in Europe, I'd suggest that should be the first place for the UK to focus it's efforts, not with India where even the EU can't reach an agreement.

If the EU and India haven't reached an agreement after 9 years as two relative heavyweights, what makes you think the UK will reach one quickly? By bending over? Would probably have to, but what's the appeal in that?

Bipat, please remember that the world, the UK, the moon, the stars, the universe and this forum do not revolve around India. It does not deserve this airtime as a non-trade partner of the UK or the EU.
India is the third largest overseas investor and job creator in the UK.
£9 billion trade deal achieved in two days on Mr Modi's last visit.
It is a major trade partner of UK and EU.
There has always been a special relationship with the UK.

The above posts were about free trade agreements.

It is predicted to overtake China as the largest economy within 20 years, probably a world power within 40, (already the fastest growing).

Brexit is about the future for our children and grandchildren, India will be of great continuing importance for trade.

As a trade delegation is here from the EU I thought it would be interesting--obviously no reason for it to be reported in UK newspapers. Continue in ignorance if you wish--a symptom of some xenophobic remainers--not you I am sure.
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 5:41 am   #19
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
India is the third largest overseas investor and job creator in the UK.
£9 billion trade deal achieved in two days on Mr Modi's last visit.
It is a major trade partner of UK and EU.
There has always been a special relationship with the UK.

The above posts were about free trade agreements.

It is predicted to overtake China as the largest economy within 20 years, probably a world power within 40, (already the fastest growing).

Brexit is about the future for our children and grandchildren, India will be of great continuing importance for trade.

As a trade delegation is here from the EU I thought it would be interesting--obviously no reason for it to be reported in UK newspapers. Continue in ignorance if you wish--a symptom of some xenophobic remainers--not you I am sure.
Call me any name under the sun, it's your right to. But it's really important you remember that this thread is not about India and India alone. I honestly wish you would, please, one day remember this. You talk about having children so I have to assume you're an adult and can comprehend this.

I also know you love to bang the drum for India, good for you, you love the place. I know now, thanks to you that it's the greatest place on earth, I know it's better than Britain and I know it's going to be the worlds biggest economy on Tuesday and rule the world and be the most important and the best and the biggest and most wonderful. I know all this, it's all you ever post.

India should have a trade agreement with the EU. The fact it doesn't is not exclusively either sides fault.
The fact that there are EU folk in India sorting some individual deals to allow things to continue is not really a big deal, hence why perhaps only reported locally - although you probably are right to read Indian news sources, given their origin they must be better than anything else.

Your inability to have any sort of sensible discussion without involving India is unreal. I've really tried hard to not bring it up every time but sharing such an irrelevant news story from an Indian source is just beyond desperate.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:07 am   #20
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Call me any name under the sun, it's your right to. But it's really important you remember that this thread is not about India and India alone. I honestly wish you would, please, one day remember this. You talk about having children so I have to assume you're an adult and can comprehend this.

I also know you love to bang the drum for India, good for you, you love the place. I know now, thanks to you that it's the greatest place on earth, I know it's better than Britain and I know it's going to be the worlds biggest economy on Tuesday and rule the world and be the most important and the best and the biggest and most wonderful. I know all this, it's all you ever post.

India should have a trade agreement with the EU. The fact it doesn't is not exclusively either sides fault.
The fact that there are EU folk in India sorting some individual deals to allow things to continue is not really a big deal, hence why perhaps only reported locally - although you probably are right to read Indian news sources, given their origin they must be better than anything else.

Your inability to have any sort of sensible discussion without involving India is unreal. I've really tried hard to not bring it up every time but sharing such an irrelevant news story from an Indian source is just beyond desperate.
I read Indian news sources because they are there in front of me, from the shop across the road, (south west Karnataka).
This is an expat forum we are all in different countries. How much on this part of the Forum is posted about the USA.
We all post about what we know, why should that lead to sarcasm?

This thread is about Brexit, and India is very important as I said, the news item is about EU trade, it is an important delegation for the EU if not the UK. How is that "irrelevant" when it is about the EU?

The talk here among business people is about Brexit.

Yes I am an adult and have grandchildren, are you?
I care about their post Brexit futures.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:13 am   #21
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
I read Indian news sources because they are there in front of me, from the shop across the road, (south west Karnataka).
This is an expat forum we are all in different countries. How much on this part of the Forum is posted about the USA.
We all post about what we know, why should that lead to sarcasm?

This thread is about Brexit, and India is very important as I said, the news item is about EU trade, it is an important delegation for the EU if not the UK. How is that "irrelevant" when it is about the EU?

The talk here among business people is about Brexit.

Yes I am an adult and have grandchildren, are you?
I care about their post Brexit futures.
I should give up.

You're incapably of digesting this point: India is important, like many other countries, but it is not the only place the EU or UK needs to be concerned with.

Do I just post stuff about the Middle East in these discussions?
Is the shop across the road a website?
India alone will not provide for your grandchildren and their future, post-Brexit. Just as Canada or the US or Germany or China alone would.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:21 am   #22
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
I should give up.

You're incapably of digesting this point: India is important, like many other countries, but it is not the only place the EU or UK needs to be concerned with.

Do I just post stuff about the Middle East in these discussions?
Is the shop across the road a website?
India alone will not provide for your grandchildren and their future, post-Brexit. Just as Canada or the US or Germany or China alone would.
The shop across the road sells newspapers, I was just about to put another link for you, how else can you do it? How is a website more important.
If the Middle East is important to Brexit why not post. I post about what I know, it happens to be India.

EU delegation in India to gauge reaction to Trump admin | India News - Times of India
(They had other issues here also---it has a photo --that might please you.)
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:32 am   #23
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
The shop across the road sells newspapers, I was just about to put another link for you, how else can you do it? How is a website more important.
If the Middle East is important to Brexit why not post. I post about what I know, it happens to be India.

EU delegation in India to gauge reaction to Trump admin | India News - Times of India
Because I'm not totally narrow minded or insistent on forcing everyone else to listen to such a small part of a regionally focused but global event.

Continue your pro-India crusade. It's pointless to even try, you're so blinkered it's a waste of time to remind you that there are other countries than India.

Great photo. It's good they used it for another article too. India-EU treaties: EU wants bilateral investment treaties extended but India not keen | India News - Times of India
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:39 am   #24
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Perhaps just me, but my first reaction is why are 6 people necessary to fly to India just to see how India feels about things. Couldn't 1 person do that ? The wasteful expenditure of people who work in government anywhere never ceases to amaze me, and my impression is EU tops the list together with the UN for such wasteful spending.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:23 am   #25
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Perhaps just me, but my first reaction is why are 6 people necessary to fly to India just to see how India feels about things. Couldn't 1 person do that ? The wasteful expenditure of people who work in government anywhere never ceases to amaze me, and my impression is EU tops the list together with the UN for such wasteful spending.
Going back to the beginning:
There are several issues on their agenda, it is also about trade.
On the business pages here, as in the first link--pages back--EU wanting India to extend some trade treaties with individual EU countries, which are due to expire. The EU indicating that this might help forward the stalled potential free trade agreement.

I put forward the suggestion that the EU is wanting to resurrect the possibility
of this trade deal before the UK is able to negotiate one Post Brexit..
Immediately after the referendum result, Indian business people in London were excited about a free trade deal Post Brexit with the UK. One used the words 'dream deal', I think that was a bit excessive!

But as you will have seen above, as not mentioned in UK newspapers (as far as I know)) it is thought to be irrelevant. So subject closed.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:32 am   #26
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:35 am   #27
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is how I feel too
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:54 am   #28
BE Enthusiast

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And me
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:09 am   #29
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
I was answering Morpeth's post.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:23 am   #30
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
That is how I feel too
And it is the Remainers' who go on--and on about xenophobia.
I would call it ignorance and isolationist inability to look beyond their own little area by some on this thread.
Brexit is going to happen.
Obviously a 'dreadful foreign newspaper' OMG might have the audacity to report on an EU delegation.

You might find this link interesting--forget it was me that is posting it pretend it is one of EMRs

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-oppo...-envoy-1607143

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!