Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:30 am   #1
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post EU referendum and India (Off topic posts removed from the EU thread) 2

This morning papers.
EU asking for extension of investment treaties with India, and indicating it might be favourable for starting up again the 9 year failed free trade deal.

EU seeks extension for investment treaties
investment-treaties.html

(EU hoping to get in with a deal before the UK! Unofficial talks with UK going on since referendum result.)
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:48 am   #2
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
This morning papers.
EU asking for extension of investment treaties with India, and indicating it might be favourable for starting up again the 9 year failed free trade deal.

investment-treaties.html

(EU hoping to get in with a deal before the UK! Unofficial talks with UK going on since referendum result.)
The only references to the EU on that page a appear to be the headline and the EU flag.
DaveLovesDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:41 am   #3
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This morning papers.

investment-treaties.html

Which would India prefer, a deal with 27 nations, 600million consuners or 1 nation 63million consumers and an economy slipping down the world league.
A country that has taken a decision that could put at risk Indian companies investments.
Companies who could lose free access to existing EU markets.
Ask any businessman who they would chose?
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:15 am   #4
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Which would India prefer, a deal with 27 nations, 600million consuners or 1 nation 63million consumers and an economy slipping down the world league.
A country that has taken a decision that could put at risk Indian companies investments.
Companies who could lose free access to existing EU markets.
Ask any businessman who they would chose?
I think any businessman or woman would chose a deal with both. India can have it all. Why would India chose not to have a deal with the UK or the EU? The country is not part of European politics.

Anyhow, the EU is - that is for Bipat - not only trying to negotiate a deal with India but also with New Zealand, Australia, Mercosur, Mexico, SOuthern Africa, Eastern Africa, Indonesia, China etc. As I have repeatedly pointed out: There is a huge world out there. Not only India. So open your eyes and see.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:17 am   #5
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They will prefer what is best for them, 9 years of failure with negotiations with the EU, and now EU trying to out do the UK, see the link.

From your side, I do not think Mrs May made a good impression when she came here, Cameron had much better relationship with the PM. She could have been more diplomatic in her dealings.

However as I said 'unofficial' talks have been going on for months. In the beginning London-Indian business men stated the words 'dream deal' about future trade with UK.
As with everything else we will wait and see.

(I have asked a few business people what they think, they differ in opinions. As those closest (as relatives) have German business partners, they are obviously more pro-EU.)

Exactly they will do what is best for them, more customers, a bigger much bigger market for their profucts.
Compared to smaller one which may lose tariff free access to the EU for the products produced by Indian companies who have already invested in the UK because of EU membership.
The answer is obvious it can have both, but one obviously has far more potential for total growth and profit, (not the UK).
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:27 am   #6
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
I think any businessman or woman would chose a deal with both. India can have it all. Why would India chose not to have a deal with the UK or the EU? The country is not part of European politics.

Anyhow, the EU is - that is for Bipat - not only trying to negotiate a deal with India but also with New Zealand, Australia, Mercosur, Mexico, SOuthern Africa, Eastern Africa, Indonesia, China etc. As I have repeatedly pointed out: There is a huge world out there. Not only India. So open your eyes and see.
Yes they can have it all. However after nine years of failure in negotiations, I put the link to indicate that it is the EU making the moves.

(India is the fastest growing world large economy!)
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:32 am   #7
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Erm, the EU isn't trying to "out-do" the UK. Where do you get that notion? Why would the EU need to "out-do" the UK? In fact, the UK is struggling to find ways to make up for the losses it will incur, and will be consumed with that for the foreseeable future.

And any idea that the UK is going to "out-do" the EU is delusional at best. Britain needs to focus on keeping itself afloat now. Unfortunately, Britain is going to be consumed with Brexit for a decade or more. The EU on the other hand, is not, and does not need to consume itself with Brexit. There's more important things to focus on. And it will, because it has the resources and bandwidth to do so.
As in above post; EU has failed for 9 years to reach a free trade deal with India, talks have been going on unofficially with the UK since the result of the referendum and now EU makes this move-- requesting an extension for investment treaties --see link.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:44 am   #8
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
As in above post; EU has failed for 9 years to reach a free trade deal with India, talks have been going on unofficially with the UK since the result of the referendum and now EU makes this move-- requesting an extension for investment treaties --see link.
You do not understand what a trade deal means. It must have advantages for both sides not just one..

Failure exits on both sides.
If India want to protect its manufacturing that is understandable but then why should the EU grant more favourable terms to India., if Indua does not reciprocate.
You keep mentioning reciprocity,, that means equality for both sides in all aspects of the agreement.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:47 am   #9
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's nice. Trade agreements are complex, and there are many stakeholders, all with a different agenda. Somehow, they need to find common ground, and until that happens, nothing does.

It's worth pointing out that the larger the trading partner, the more stakeholders, but the stakes are much higher. If they spend 10 years finding acceptable common ground facilitating trillions in mutually beneficial trade for generations, well, then perhaps it's worth it. And a decade of negotiation isn't all that insane, especially for two giants.

Having said that, I reckon a little country like Britain would have fewer disparities amongst stakeholders, especially since it will be desperate for trade, and willing to capitulate in many contentious areas. Besides, as a modest economy, the stakes will be much lower. For India anyway. Might only take 5 years...
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:47 am   #10
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
You do not understand what a trade deal means. It must have advantages for both sides not just one..

Failure exits on both sides.
If India want to protect its manufacturing that is understandable but then why should the EU grant more favourable terms to India., if Indua does not reciprocate.
You keep mentioning reciprocity,, that means equality for both sides in all aspects of the agreement.
Did you read the link? It is the EU that has sent the delegation.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:15 pm   #11
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Ah, I see.

I can't find any links on BBC's website (for example) so I'm assuming that it's not actually that big a deal to report that the EU and India are agreeing an extension to try to agree a trade deal.
It was a report in this mornings Deccan Herald, why would it be on the BBC's website? post 13487.
I thought it would be interesting---wish I hadn't bothered.

These were investment treaties with individual EU countries due to expire. The free trade deal had completely come to a halt some time ago after 9 years of on/off talks. They are separate issues!!

After the referendum result there was a suggestion in business circles that the UK would be easier to get a free trade deal with than the EU.
--The fact that the EU might try again with India --means to me that the EU would probably prefer this not to happen or get their deal first.
-that last idea is just my guess!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:21 pm   #12
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
It was a report in this mornings Deccan Herald, why would it be on the BBC's website? post 13487.
I thought it would be interesting---wish I hadn't bothered.

These were investment treaties with individual EU countries due to expire. The free trade deal had completely come to a halt some time ago after 9 years of on/off talks. They are separate issues!!

After the referendum result there was a suggestion in business circles that the UK would be easier to get a free trade deal with than the EU.
--The fact that the EU might try again with India --means to me that the EU would probably prefer this not to happen or get their deal first.
-that last idea is just my guess!
It takes two sides, are you suggesting that India does not want an EU trade deal preferring one with the UK at some unknown time in the future.
What is better for India in simple terms of market size etc, the EU or India.
Your link did confirm that Indian protectionist tariffs are an issue for the EU.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:45 pm   #13
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
It takes two sides, are you suggesting that India does not want an EU trade deal preferring one with the UK at some unknown time in the future.
What is better for India in simple terms of market size etc, the EU or India.
Your link did confirm that Indian protectionist tariffs are an issue for the EU.
No, I said that it was thought that it would be easier post Brexit to get one with the UK.
You contradict yourself--- "It takes two sides", then you only point out the problems from just one side! (There have been many problems on both sides).
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:59 pm   #14
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
No, I said that it was thought that it would be easier post Brexit to get one with the UK.
You contradict yourself--- "It takes two sides", then you only point out the problems from just one side! (There have been many problems on both sides).
There article does point out problems with both sides.
It confirms that which you have ignored many times that India has been blocking agreement on EU imports.
Its all in the article you posted today.
Nothing whatsever to do with the UK or with Brexit.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:11 pm   #15
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
There article does point out problems with both sides.
It confirms that which you have ignored many times that India has been blocking agreement on EU imports.
Its all in the article you posted today.
Nothing whatsever to do with the UK or with Brexit.
I know what is in the article it is in the newspaper in front of me!
I have not ignored anything I just said there are problems on both sides, both sides are blocking things, the article is obviously brief on this as it is mainly about the EU delegation. There has been vast amounts written over the nine years.

I have explained why I thought it relevant--it is just that remainers and you particularly are uninterested in anything 'foreign'.

(At this moment on NDTV the former US ambassador, Roemer, is speaking about India/US ties.--and trade. Look outwards from the EU, EMR)

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!