Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:31 pm   #22006

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
How do we know in detail what any government now or in the future will do?
What do you think they will do? What do you want them to do once we leave the EU.
I'm still questioning your statement as to the Government adjusting the immigration caps on a yearly basis in response to need. You believe that the government will do that, or you did. I asked you how that could possibly work. Now you say that we have no way of knowing that or anything else very much as to what they will do in the future. You seem to have changed your mind.

I didn't want to leave the EU at all. If we have to, it's government's job to help all of us minimize the damage on all fronts. Which is shaping up to be "change as little as possible" - so essentially, a giant waste of time and resources with many possibilities for negative fallout if we don't manage it well and so far we do not appear to be managing it well at all.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 13th 2017 at 5:33 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:33 pm   #22007

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I don't use my dishwasher, because it's shit, so I hand wash all my dishes anyway.

I never iron anything. But I'm not German, so I don't have to worry.
What about the carrots? How do Germans harvest their carrots?
Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:37 pm   #22008
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
No females in your household then?
Two, but that still doesn't make the dishwasher any less shit ...

Also, ignoring the fact that I do all the laundry (and I'm not exactly sure how that ended up being the case, but it's been 12 years now and I'm not about to start questioning it), if I fold and hang/put away the clothes right after they come out of the dryer, there is no need to iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Good question.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:37 pm   #22009
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It might explain what you refer to as the " Desi " vote being misled into thinking that the attitude towards non EU migration would change because of closer trade relations post brexit.
What attitude were you thinking of? (Apart from your own!!)

The 'Desi' vote was in much the same proportions as the voting in general. That is a small majority voting to leave.
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 6:20 pm   #22010
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I reckon they hire people. There's quite a large labour pool to leverage. Without it, Eurozone PMI wouldn't be able to expand so vigorously.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 6:34 pm   #22011
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What attitude were you thinking of? (Apart from your own!!)

The 'Desi' vote was in much the same proportions as the voting in general. That is a small majority voting to leave.
Then it is also probable that many voted in the belief that post brexit trade deals would ease the current rules for non EU migrants when the opposite is more than likely.
We're they voting against EU migration or All migration.?
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:16 pm   #22012
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Then it is also probable that many voted in the belief that post brexit trade deals would ease the current rules for non EU migrants when the opposite is more than likely.
We're they voting against EU migration or All migration.?
EMR you are obsessed with "immigration"--millions voted to leave they didn't all have exactly the same reasons. British people of non-EU origin are no different from any other British regarding the varying views as to whether or not to leave the EU.
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:20 pm   #22013
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You can argue that, but as a natter of pure fact, if immigration were not the most prominently promoted leave rationale, the result would have certainly gone to remain, probably in a landslide.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:27 pm   #22014
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
EMR you are obsessed with "immigration"--millions voted to leave they didn't all have exactly the same reasons. British people of non-EU origin are no different from any other British regarding the varying views as to whether or not to leave the EU.
Still got your head in the sand also ignoring recent government and media views on the subject.
Next you will be telling us that UKIP was not an anti migrant party and that they only played a minor part in the campaign.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:02 am   #22015
Reasonable Bitch

So, I'm watching sky news, and a segment begins regarding Junker's speech.

Now, sky news is usually pretty balanced, or if anything, leaning pro-eu. But in this segment, it was different.

After airing some soundbytes of the very short bit of the speech where Juncker mentions Brexit, where he said it was regrettable, but we respect the will of the British people, yet believes Britain will regret it too, they line up a few "experts" for analysis.

What surprised me was that their comments seemed to completely misrepresent what he actually said. "It sounds like he hasn't yet realised that we voted to leave", "the EU needs to wake up and stop pretending Brexit won't happen". And oddly, even the host (Ian King) seemed to agree with those analyses.

Now, I've reviewed Juncker's speech end to end (as well as much of EU rhetoric over time), and frankly, I can't find even the remotest suggestion that anyone in Brussels is pretending Brexit isn't happening. In fact, it appears to be nothing less than a foregone conclusion, and Brexit itself seems to be an ever-diminishing topic of interest.

So, is it something in British water? Or is denial simply the only way to deal with the reality of Brexit?

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 14th 2017 at 8:39 am.
amideislas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:11 am   #22016
BE Enthusiast

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Ami - some people in the UK just can't understand that there isn't more wailing & gnashing of teeth among the 27 that the UK is leaving, that the EU didn't implode on 24 June '16!
Expatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:45 am   #22017
iano Male
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Theresa May off on yet another jolly to Florence next week, solely to make a speech in the historical trading 'heart' of Europe.

Apparently it's to articulate her government's wish for a 'deep and special' partnership with the European Union (i.e free trade) erm, a little like we enjoy right now, but minus the influence.

Still wanting the cake, and to eat it. How they must laugh.
iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:53 am   #22018
Reasonable Bitch

Previously, some were expecting (probably giving her too much credit) her to announce her resignation, or to announce that Britain will simply accept EFTA membership.

But this posturing makes it unlikely. More likely is just a new spin on "cake and eat it" as you suggest. Unfortunately, that won't address the issues at hand or solve anything.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:09 am   #22019
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Previously, some were expecting (probably giving her too much credit) her to announce her resignation, or to announce that Britain will simply accept EFTA membership.

But this posturing makes it unlikely. More likely is just a new spin on "cake and eat it" as you suggest. Unfortunately, that won't address the issues at hand or solve anything.
Yes, but she can enjoy a nice Bistecca alla Fiorentina and a stroll across the Ponte Vecchio at the taxpayer's expense...........
Old Sep 14th 2017, 10:20 am   #22020
Reasonable Bitch

Well, if you think it's going to be another smoothed over "cake and eat it" spin, it might be a good idea to buy some Euros before the speech. Because if it's just more of the same empty rhetoric, expect Sterling parity (or worse) immediately following.

But those in the EU side negotiating team seem to be anticipating something different. We shall see.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!