Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:17 pm   #31
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear supreme being, please can you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
No one is saying all Arabs are inherently evil, just common sense is required looking at reality of the problem, its sources, and how current policies are not better controlling the situation. If just 10 out of a thousand are prone to potentially being terrorist, and another 100 out of a thousand sympathetic to the objectives of the Islamists, why bring more in ? Isnt that just increasing the current and future terrorist threat ?

By all means the refugees should be helped on the ground in there own region of the world, and if they are truly refugees I assume they would welcome the opportunity to be close to a return home. And certainly re-evaluating the foreign policy strategy for better options/path towards resolving the issue certainly should be done as well.

It is patently absurd to think Europe can maintain its standard of living and culture if it has an open door policy to any number of refugees from every where in the world to come. The west defends nations like Saudi Arabia, who fund much of the extremist Islamist ideology, and then takes in their Syrian and other brethren though Saudi Arabia has the resources and space for them. Truly a world gone mad.
If the west hasn't trying to change the leadership of countries it doesn't agree with, or get kill civilians in those countries (such as Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, Libya and Syria), there'd be fewer refugees. And refugees often go th the nearest place of safety, but it's not surprising they later want to go elsewhere where they'll be able to work towards a better standard of living.

A very small minority of any group are a-holes, whether it's a small minority of refugees who may be IS supporters, or the small minority (unless you're in Magaluf) of Brits who get blind drunk on holiday. The a-holes get the media headlines (making it look like a serious problem) while the rest get the same bad reputation.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:45 pm   #32
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If the west hadn't trying to change the leadership of countries it doesn't agree with, or get kill civilians in those countries (such as Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, Libya and Syria), there'd be fewer refugees. And refugees often go th the nearest place of safety, but it's not surprising they later want to go elsewhere where they'll be able to work towards a better standard of living.

A very small minority of any group are a-holes, whether it's a small minority of refugees who may be IS supporters, or the small minority (unless you're in Magaluf) of Brits who get blind drunk on holiday. The a-holes get the media headlines (making it look like a serious problem) while the rest get the same bad reputation.
I'd tend to go along with that.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:29 am   #33
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I'd tend to go along with that.
Me too.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:00 am   #34
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the west hasn't trying to change the leadership of countries it doesn't agree with, or get kill civilians in those countries (such as Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, Libya and Syria), there'd be fewer refugees. And refugees often go th the nearest place of safety, but it's not surprising they later want to go elsewhere where they'll be able to work towards a better standard of living.

You're not including drunken tourists with terrorists who plant bombs and run over people with vans are you?.

It's far better to ban 5 thousand refugees than risk the fact that 10 of them will eventually carry out an act that could kill or maim 50 innocent people. Would you feel the same benevolence towards a large influx of refugees if say your daughter God help us was a victim?

Last edited by dc koop; Sep 20th 2017 at 5:03 am.
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:30 am   #35
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
[/B]
You're not including drunken tourists with terrorists who plant bombs and run over people with vans are you?.
No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that a minority of assholes give the majority a bad name. I gave a couple of examples of where this happens.

Quote:
It's far better to ban 5 thousand refugees than risk the fact that 10 of them will eventually carry out an act that could kill or maim 50 innocent people. Would you feel the same benevolence towards a large influx of refugees if say your daughter God help us was a victim?
Should we ban everything that has the potential to harm us? I'd happily ban the sale of alcohol, tobacco and cars, all of which kill people much more regularly than the assholes do.

I do worry about terrorism, but I don't worry about Muslims, neither do I worry about Christians, Hindus, Sikhs or Buddhists.

I'm not going to be anti-anyone just because a small minority want an excuse to use violence. What I'd do if any of my family were a victim, I don't know, probably the same as if she was a victim of any other crime.

The day I start hating everyone who shares the same genetics as one of the assholes is the day I become no better than the assholes.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 20th 2017 at 6:33 am.
DaveLovesDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:02 am   #36
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that a minority of assholes give the majority a bad name. I gave a couple of examples of where this happens.

Should we ban everything that has the potential to harm us? I'd happily ban the sale of alcohol, tobacco and cars, all of which kill people much more regularly than the assholes do.

I do worry about terrorism, but I don't worry about Muslims, neither do I worry about Christians, Hindus, Sikhs or Buddhists.

I'm not going to be anti-anyone just because a small minority want an excuse to use violence. What I'd do if any of my family were a victim, I don't know, probably the same as if she was a victim of any other crime.

The day I start hating everyone who shares the same genetics as one of the assholes is the day I become no better than the assholes.
I don't think grieving members of the families who lost loved ones would agree with you.

You have to live the experience to really know
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:28 am   #37
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
I don't think grieving members of the families who lost loved ones would agree with you.

Yet you appear to know.

I've suffered the loss of family members, though none to terrorism. Do I hate all drivers because of a drink-driver? No, I don't, but I hate any asshole who drives while drunk.
DaveLovesDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:57 am   #38
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Yet you appear to know.
I've suffered the loss of family members, though none to terrorism. Do I hate all drivers because of a drink-driver? No, I don't, but I hate any asshole who drives while drunk.
I'd go along with that.

From personal experience all over the place & all of the reasons above, I'd go along with that.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:03 am   #39
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is a ridiculous argument. The grieving relatives of anyone will rail against whatever caused their loss - be that cancer, dementia, a drunk driver, an idiot with a gun, a terrorist or pure bad luck ..... so they are hadly the point of reference.

I think you need to look at the statistics to see whether the high profile is justified. Interestingly, according to the UK news, absolutely NOTHING has been going on in Syria or Iraq recently ..... or have they been "too busy" reporting other things? On the day of the totally amateurish London bombing, hardly any other news got a look in.

How would you feel if your relative was killed by an American plane mistakely hitting the wrong target? How would you feel if foreign troops refered to you as "towel heads" and presumed to know how to run your life better than you? How would you feel if the conflict killing your people was really just a sideshow in a much greater conflict?

How would you feel if your family were dying and some b*stard prevented you saving them because they thought you might be a threat to their comfortable existence?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 10:32 am   #40
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't think that the UK and the US are the West. Germany didn't go around bombing other countries to the ground. So please if you are eager to differentiate ( which I support) do differentiate the West too please. Germany didn't bomb a country in the middle East yet it has accepted a million refugees from there. If you asked me that is what the West does, accepting refugees. Starting wars and toppling governments is an Anglo-Saxon thing 😙
Assanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 11:39 am   #41
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
I don't think that the UK and the US are the West. Germany didn't go around bombing other countries to the ground. So please if you are eager to differentiate ( which I support) do differentiate the West too please. Germany didn't bomb a country in the middle East yet it has accepted a million refugees from there. If you asked me that is what the West does, accepting refugees. Starting wars and toppling governments is an Anglo-Saxon thing 😙
Short memory? Germany is constitutionally restrained from such activity these days, so happy to sit on its hands and whinge during the Bosnian war..... waiting for others to take action. However, not neutral, like Ireland or Sweden.

No country is blameless in all this - although I must say, the Yanks have played world policeman much too much and the Brits still appear to have delusions of empire.....
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:21 pm   #42
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Short memory? Germany is constitutionally restrained from such activity these days, so happy to sit on its hands and whinge during the Bosnian war..... waiting for others to take action. However, not neutral, like Ireland or Sweden.

No country is blameless in all this - although I must say, the Yanks have played world policeman much too much and the Brits still appear to have delusions of empire.....
Huh? Maybe take a book about modern German history and you will see that Germany wasn't idle in the Bosnian war. This war was actually the first after WW2 where Germany did militarily intervene with changes of I the Constitution and the whole shebang. Btw are you with your distorted Anglo Saxon memory aware which country accepted the highest number of refugees from this war... again. Yes A G A I N.
Assanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:45 pm   #43
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...you with your distorted Anglo Saxon memory ...
I think you might have more of a link to the Anglo Saxons than macliam
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:05 pm   #44
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Huh? Maybe take a book about modern German history and you will see that Germany wasn't idle in the Bosnian war. This war was actually the first after WW2 where Germany did militarily intervene with changes of I the Constitution and the whole shebang. Btw are you with your distorted Anglo Saxon memory aware which country accepted the highest number of refugees from this war... again. Yes A G A I N.
Check the name - not Anglo-saxon, so remove chip from shoulder.

Ireland is neutral by constitution, but took part in peacekeeping in Congo, Cyprus and the Sinai, Lebanon, Iran/Iraq border, Somalia and Eritrea, Bosnia and Kosovo, East Timor, Liberia, Chad, Syria and are still involved in Lebanon , Syria, Kosovo and Afghanistan.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:05 pm   #45

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I think you might have more of a link to the Anglo Saxons than macliam
That's what I was thinking

And where the hell did all this ethnicity stuff get into the conversation. Again.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!