Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:05 am   #61
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farron & Homosexual Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The most devisive PM we have ever had who left large areas of the country an industrial wasteland..
Is that your definition of quality.
Just read what you wrote above.....

'The most devisive PM' and 'Is that your definition of quality'.....

Now you can answer your own question.
jam25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:42 am   #62
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Just read what you wrote above.....

'The most devisive PM' and 'Is that your definition of quality'.....

Now you can answer your own question.
Quality is the last word I would use in description of Thatcher..
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:17 pm   #63
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Quality is the last word I would use in description of Thatcher..
Thankfully we are allowed to have separate opinions....
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:07 pm   #64
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

She had many pros and cons
My preferred Pro was her beliefs against German re-unification.
My preferred con was de-nationalisation of service industries.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:55 pm   #65
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

She was a full-on proponent of the UK's membership of the EU and the Single Internal Market. She played the EU exactly right.
jimenato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:09 pm   #66
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
She was a full-on proponent of the UK's membership of the EU and the Single Internal Market. She played the EU exactly right.
Odd then, isn't it, that so many of the most rabid Brexiters also seem to be such fervent Thatcher fans? Maybe they didn't understand that, either
Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:38 pm   #67
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Perhaps if you had been Welsh like me, had grown up in a Welsh mining community like me and lived with the utter devastation she brought upon the Welsh coal mining industry like me, whilst all the time lying about closing down the mines, you might have done a little jig too!
Try delivering bags of f-ing coal in the f-ing winter. 25 kilos each bag, and I think we made 20p per bag out of the (I think) £2 per bag the customer paid. And those who'd lost their jobs still needed coal, but little or no money to pay for it.

These were people we'd lived beside for years, but giving away a bag or two free every week to different families in the area mean less money for our business. And we paid the local mine whatever their price on the day was, but our customers were charged the same price regardless. The mine would charge more on the days they'd mined less, and sometimes we didn't make any money to pay ourselves. The first bit of profit always went on fuel and stuff for the truck, because no truck means no delivery. And it was always at least 2 baths a night to get the f-ing coal dust off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Ever had to scrape the snow of a coal slag heap with frozen fingers, trying to find enough tiny bits of coal to get a fire going in the house...and when you'd done that, do it again for your neighbour because she couldn't do it herself? Yeah...I'm sure you have!
Try carrying those 25kg bags down garden paths that you have to clear of ice before you can deliver. And for many of our elderly customers, we'd rebuild the hearth for them to have a fire. That's after you'd actually got to the house in the snow and ice, and not getting there wasn't an option for these families.

I hated Thatcher, but I couldn't give a shit when she died. Thatcher's not the only one to blame, her Cabinet and Parliament could have stopped her. I was at primary school when she ended free school milk too. You get up, move forward and adapt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Jesus was not real.
Shit! I'd better take him out of my FF team......
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:35 am   #68
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I hated Thatcher, but I couldn't give a shit when she died. Thatcher's not the only one to blame, her Cabinet and Parliament could have stopped her.
Hate is such a strong word isn't it but my goodness I utterly loathed & detested that woman for what she did. I still do. Couldn't give a shit either when she died. Really didn't want to know anything about it. Such is the depth of my feelings about her and her cabinet.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 5:53 am   #69
BE Forum Addict

The thing is she tried for a long time to save the coal industry and pumped a load of cash into it but in the end its just basic economics. .... if somewhere else (Spain) can mine, transport and market the product cheaper than you can at home why try and prop it up? Coal reserves in the UK are generally pretty limited in terms of their thickness (seams rarely exceed 1.0m in a lot of places) and so extraction is hard and expensive. If you can open cast extract it the price plummets. I feel sorry for the people where coal is their livelihood but thats where other initiative such as re-training and temporary benefits should take up the slack. Also, look at technology and development, how many of us actually use coal or have an open fire as a primary heating source these days? The numbers must be tiny.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:09 am   #70
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Odd then, isn't it, that so many of the most rabid Brexiters also seem to be such fervent Thatcher fans? Maybe they didn't understand that, either
Absolutely.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 8:53 am   #71
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

The female PMs we never had.
Barbara Castle, Shirley Williams--I wonder how they would have managed if they had got power?

(If I remember Castle was tipped for leadership but then was in hospital with pneumonia?)
Bipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st 2017, 9:07 am   #72
FreeThinker

Let's not forget that mine closures were started under Labour. Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher.

Last edited by jimenato; Jul 31st 2017 at 9:30 am.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 10:07 am   #73
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Let's not forget that mine closures were started under Labour. Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher.
When Wilson closed the mines, there were other mines the workers could go to, and plenty of jobs they could do in other industries.

Thatcher's closures were harder for communities because there were fewer pits left open, and fewer jobs outside mining in those areas for miners to change to. In most traditional mining areas, mining was the only work in town.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 1:49 pm   #74
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Maybe because, like many of us, Margaret was a supporter of the EEC but didn't like the transformation to the EU and would have liked to leave the latter.
Golden Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st 2017, 2:39 pm   #75
**** the FCC

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
Officially (After 8 years of court process) Jesus has a tomb in Jerusalem containing his remains. A documentary regarding this included an interview with a Catholic Cardinal. His main comment was "We don't care about the truth, it's the faith that matters" Needless to say this part had been cut from the Italian and now it would seem the Spanish version.
The line that they are trying to adopt now is that his spirit went to heaven while his body stayed here. So what the FU%^ is the difference with any other person. The Popes/rabbis /Muftis and Lawyers, the destroyers of the world!
I'm sure there was a bloke knocking about in the 1st century calling himself Jesus, maybe even a bunch of them. I don't believe for a minute he was some kind of deity/magician/whatever people want to call it.

I don't really know what angle that documentary was trying to take, though.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!