Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:10 pm   #61
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bomb Explodes on London Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I'd say not selling arms to them or their supporters might help. This genie was let out of the box by the CIA as a cracking ploy to have a pop at the soviets and they haven't got it back in yet.....

Most muslims I know believe that one should abide by the law of the land and sharia, if applicable at all, should only apply to muslims. To fundamentally change the position would require a population far in excess of the 15% that covers ALL immigrants into the UK, so regardless of the vocal few who provide headlines for the Daily Mail, it's a non-issue.
As you say probably a non issue so far in the UK, but it is I the future for Sweden and Germany- maybe consideration of such issues beforehand prudent.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:55 pm   #62
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenato;12340378[B
]So you are equating 'dark people' with 'terrorist' then.
[/B]
Did you do that at the time of the Irish troubles; 'white people' = 'terrorist'?
Oh aye the old "you must be racist" response" Never fails to happen. No I don't equate dark people with terrorism. There are plenty of "dark" immigrants from such places as the West Indies, Indian Hindus, Kenya, Nigeria who are law abiding immigrants or descended from immigrants.

The problem is with Islam which has been hijacked by extremists bent on a war with the west. Racially they just happen to be dark.

Last edited by dc koop; Sep 18th 2017 at 6:31 pm.
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:30 pm   #63
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Are you really suggesting that a form of genetic diversity that determines skin colour, along with ethnicity and national origin, determines violent or criminal behaviour? Because that is what you have said. And C of E?

I think the Archbishop of York might like a word with you. Or not.
No I haven't. i'm just stating a fact.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:09 am   #64
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I was in London when this attack happened. Didn't stop me taking the District Line that same day. Nor, given how crowded London was at all hours of the day and night, was it stopping Londoners much either. An appropriate response to terrorism, imo.

And what a magnificent cosmopolitan place London is. I ate at Pakistani, Indian, Moroccan and Turkish restaurants, amongst others, during my stay and have rarely enjoyed a visit there as much.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 21st 2017 at 1:11 am.
Giantaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:50 am   #65

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I was in London when this attack happened. Didn't stop me taking the District Line that same day. Nor, given how crowded London was at all hours of the day and night, was it stopping Londoners much either. An appropriate response to terrorism, imo.

And what a magnificent cosmopolitan place London is. I ate at Pakistani, Indian, Moroccan and Turkish restaurants, amongst others, during my stay and have rarely enjoyed a visit there as much.
Agreed. I was there in March during the nasty bridge attack. Everything and everybody just carried on.

It's a spectacular city.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:55 am   #66

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
No connection? Well the people driving vans and trucks into crowds of people aren't C of E lily white Anglo-Saxons are they ?
Quote:
Are you really suggesting that a form of genetic diversity that determines skin colour, along with ethnicity and national origin, determines violent or criminal behaviour? Because that is what you have said. And C of E?

I think the Archbishop of York might like a word with you. Or not.
Quote:
No I haven't. i'm just stating a fact.
So if that is not what you are saying, what is the relevance of your comment?

One more thought - Forgot to add - I live in a city which suffers hundreds of murders a year - who should we remove or control to prevent that from happening? Shall we pick a religion? Genetic characteristics? Country of birth?

What about other violent crime in London? Who would you like to remove or control to prevent that?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 21st 2017 at 11:04 am.
Lion in Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:24 am   #67
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One more thought - Forgot to add - I live in a city which suffers hundreds of murders a year - who should we remove or control to prevent that from happening? Shall we pick a religion? Genetic characteristics? Country of birth?

What about other violent crime in London? Who would you like to remove or control to prevent that?
Thank you for putting things in perspective. There were almost 700 homicides in Enland and Wales during 2016 - less than in Chicago alone. How many of these were down to terrorism? It appears the UK sould consider banning entry for anyone from the USA, as it's obviously a danger.......

What's the excuse for those who kill without even a sham ideology to hide behind - and what would the "Just Say No (to Refugees)" mob do about them? Or is it OK for them to kill because they're not "foreign"?

As always, far easier to pick on a group and demonize them, eh?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:50 am   #68

Quote:
Thank you for putting things in perspective. There were almost 700 homicides in Enland and Wales during 2016 - less than in Chicago alone. How many of these were down to terrorism? It appears the UK sould consider banning entry for anyone from the USA, as it's obviously a danger.......

What's the excuse for those who kill without even a sham ideology to hide behind - and what would the "Just Say No (to Refugees)" mob do about them? Or is it OK for them to kill because they're not "foreign"?

It's a blatant logical fallacy - the person who committed this crime was a migrant/Muslim/not born here/has a different skin colour/other, therefore all people with the selected characteristic are likely to commit that crime.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:03 pm   #69

Just for a change, why don't we engage in some illogical sweeping generalizations about refugees and migrants based on this event?

Because I'm pretty sure they are not C of E or the colour of lilies either.

Iraqi refugee in Berlin praised for handing over cash find - BBC News
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:08 pm   #70
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the logical fallacy, isolationism (for whatever reason) has never proven to be a successful strategy. Those in favour of it really should resist the urge. It never results in anything positive.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:47 pm   #71
BE Forum Addict

Quote:

Now you seem to be justifying the reason to allow thousands of refugees into Europe by quoting crime statistics in the UK and the US

Hold on however... be patient... I'm trying to make sense of it
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:04 pm   #72
BE Forum Addict

Quote:

I watched the second plane hit the tower on 9/11 on the TV in the company cafeteria. Twenty minutes later the power line crew me included were off to do a regular day's work. I believe we ate lunch that day at a Mexican restaurant.

What a magnificent cosmopolitan city New York is.

So what is your point ?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:11 pm   #73
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I watched the second plane hit the tower on 9/11 on the TV in the company cafeteria. Twenty minutes later the power line crew me included were off to do a regular day's work. I believe we ate lunch that day at a Mexican restaurant.

What a magnificent cosmopolitan city New York is.

So what is your point ?
My point is that (i) unlike your reaction in this thread, there was seemingly no hysterical reaction to this terrorist incident by Londoners; and (ii) multicultural places can be and often are wonderful places to be in. Those refugees and migrants that you like to denigrate often bring vitality. It really isn't the doom and gloom picture you like to paint, but is way more nuanced.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:12 pm   #74
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Now you seem to be justifying the reason to allow thousands of refugees into Europe by quoting crime statistics in the UK and the US

Hold on however... be patient... I'm trying to make sense of it
I'm going to guess it's beyond your comprehension skills to figure out his point.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 21st 2017 at 7:14 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:31 pm   #75

Quote:
My point is that (i) unlike your reaction in this thread, there was seemingly no hysterical reaction to this terrorist incident by Londoners; and (ii) multicultural places can be and often are wonderful places to be in. Those refugees and migrants that you like to denigrate often bring vitality. It really isn't the doom and gloom picture you like to paint, but is way more nuanced.
Not only that, but almost everywhere on the planet is multicultural - either recently or from longer ago. It's what the human race is and what it does. We mix, and remix, and remix again. Only people with historical memories shorter than Trump's, er, hands don't understand that. Only people who fixate on some of the more visible aspects of genetic diversity don't understand that.

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!