Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!

Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:24 pm   #406
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bomb Explodes on London Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The Irish famine for one. If it hadn't been for the potato, this country wouldn't have nearly so many immigrants in it and then we wouldn't have had Trump to rant about them. Oh, wait, he's a bloody German, isn't he.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It's probably that that makes him want to rule the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Probably. You know what they're like.
Wasn't the last one an Austrian?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:20 pm   #407

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Lately, people have been mostly afraid of Merkel, and she's German but of largely Polish ancestry. Not sure where that leaves us.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:34 pm   #408
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
It could be very well be that Obama, as well as Bush, didn't have any major policy initiatives designed to look anew at breaking the cycle of poverty which is outrageous in its continuance at these levels. And I actually cant blame either since I never received impression either was a bold thinker or had good grasp of economics.

To what degree the situation in a city like Chicago can be attributed to current or past racial bigotry : the situation you describe should be addressed and obviously current policies and those of the past decades haven't solved. Perhaps if there were more of a sense of outrage that in a country with America's resources such a situation continues the cowardly politicians could come together and find solutions to improve the situation.

Whatever the cause the situation is there. Eliminating all racial bigotry at whatever level it is wont solve it, more incremental handouts either. My own believe is a massive economic injection and relief from regulations and taxes in the inner cities would do much to jump start progress.
I think politicians have more or less put the problem on the back burner and have been content to let gang suppression units deal with it. The Three Strikes law in California got rid of a lot of the Crips and Bloods but they moved up north to Portland and Seattle or went east. No wonder they don't like us in Oregon and Washington. I knew a couple of former gang members who had "found religion" and were doing good work counseling the young and vulnerable who were at risk of ending up in gangs. In some cities the gang problem seems to be without a solution. Oakland, California for example is known to have 50 different gangs but that probably pales beside Detroit and Chicago.
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:40 pm   #409
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Basically like many Swiss ethnically of German stock
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:11 pm   #410
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I don't know that one can separate a preacher from his activism because the activism is buttressed by the interpretation of scripture.

Speaking from a strictly theological point of view, what do you consider to be mainstream? What would make a pastor be un-mainstream?

I can think of two Christian churches in Dallas. One minister is inclusive to gay couples and another shuns them and calls them abominations. Which one is mainstream? I don't know the answer to that.
If one look sat the "liberation theology" movement in Latin America, the leftists priests could accept much of Catholic dogma yet support activism. Same with Dr King, he may have been more activists than many, but as far as I know he accepted basic Christian beliefs- I cant imagine that the statement of faith of many Christian denominations such as the Baptists , and others he would have had much problem with then, or now. As a result I think there would have been a limit to how much of what some call "interpretation" justifying the new conventional wisdom he would have accepted.

Mainstream if one defines that as what the large "mainstream" denominations now believe, is different today than a few decades ago.

Last edited by morpeth; Sep 29th 2017 at 2:13 pm.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:11 pm   #411
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
If one look sat the "liberation theology" movement in Latin America, the leftists priests could accept much of Catholic dogma yet support activism. Same with Dr King, he may have been more activists than many, but as far as I know he accepted basic Christian beliefs- I cant imagine that the statement of faith of many Christian denominations such as the Baptists , and others he would have had much problem with then, or now. As a result I think there would have been a limit to how much of what some call "interpretation" justifying the new conventional wisdom he would have accepted.

Mainstream if one defines that as what the large "mainstream" denominations now believe, is different today than a few decades ago.
I don't know that he accepted basic Christian beliefs. I think he was one who questioned and even doubted the resurrection. His sermons contained very little about the rules and requirements that Christianity expects from its followers. They were filled with activist positions for black people to take and basically spoke to the fact that white America wasn't behaving in a very Christian manner.

Again, I don't think he would have been considered mainstream. I also don't think you've defined mainstream in any tangible way so we're really going nowhere with this.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:30 pm   #412
BE Forum Addict

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I don't know that he accepted basic Christian beliefs. I think he was one who questioned and even doubted the resurrection. His sermons contained very little about the rules and requirements that Christianity expects from its followers. They were filled with activist positions for black people to take and basically spoke to the fact that white America wasn't behaving in a very Christian manner.

Again, I don't think he would have been considered mainstream. I also don't think you've defined mainstream in any tangible way so we're really going nowhere with this.
To me mainstream would be membership in one of the main Christian denominations and/or acceptance of the basic theological beliefs often set out in a "Statement of Faith", especially as Baptist. His activism I can see being considered outside the standard mainstream, though I would think he would have certain core beliefs to consider himself a Christian. I don't claim any depth of knowledge about his theology.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / Take it Outside!