Reload this Page >

Young Family Moving to Spain

Young Family Moving to Spain

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young Family Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by jshehadeh
Hi, I just joined this forum today! I have moved to La Palma, Canary Islands and am wondering if anyone else on this forum lives here too, so I can start to make some friends...
Hi,

I would suggest starting a new thread with a title along the lines of "Looking for friends in La Palma Canary Islands" that way people who live near you can get in touch. My thread focuses more on the Malaga region of Spain which is a bit of a distance to say the least

Good luck

Last edited by Fun in the sun; Feb 23rd 2017 at 1:46 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Stilldreaming is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
Hi

What a coincidence! When are you thinking of moving?

We are visiting the area in a couple of weeks to speak to agents and finalise on where we feel we could make a go of it. This could change however once we're there and we've settled in!

We went to San Pedro on our last visit and had lunch at a restaurant on the beach. I heard the town has had a bit of a re-jig (technical term) and a spruce up. We didn't go into the centre but will be definitely checking it out on this trip.

Will keep the thread updated on our findings.
It is a coincidence, were literally 37, 36, 4 and 6 months !

We were thinking of this year but I've got a project to complete in UK which is held up in planning, were now looking at early next year.

San Pedro really is nice, the new section with the bridge / tunnel has restaurants etc and a short walk takes you to the traditional areas.

You should look at VIVA agents, I think they are popular along this section, but that's just from my web searching.

Good luck and keep this updated !
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stilldreaming
It is a coincidence, were literally 37, 36, 4 and 6 months !

We were thinking of this year but I've got a project to complete in UK which is held up in planning, were now looking at early next year.

San Pedro really is nice, the new section with the bridge / tunnel has restaurants etc and a short walk takes you to the traditional areas.

You should look at VIVA agents, I think they are popular along this section, but that's just from my web searching.

Good luck and keep this updated !
Not sure I agree about Viva, they are the coast's largest agency whereas there are several smaller , more local agents around who will offer a better, more focused service
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Not sure I agree about Viva, they are the coast's largest agency whereas there are several smaller , more local agents around who will offer a better, more focused service
Like I said, that's just from my web searching - They seem to have really good reviews.

Can you tell me these others where I can search ?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stilldreaming
Like I said, that's just from my web searching - They seem to have really good reviews.

Can you tell me these others where I can search ?
Have a look through websites such as https://www.idealista.com . It is available in english. Another good one is : Comprar Casas Málaga Provincia por zona | fotocasa

Also available in english.

There are several local agents in Gaudalmina shopping area
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Great advice on agents guys thanks
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Totally new to this forum so please be gentle! thought it would be a great place to start and gain some good advice, so i hope you can help?!

I know this subject may have been covered many times before but i wanted to get some up to date advice on our personal situation. So apologies to anyone repeating any advice.

We are a young family 37 & 36 with two young children 2 & 4 Months. We are interested in moving to Spain for a healthier more outdoorsy life.

After travelling around Spain, France and Italy looking for somewhere to live we decided that Spain would be our best bet for a number of reasons. We travelled all over Spain and fell in love with many areas, but due to one reason or another those particular areas were not suitable. We have however decided that as far as regions go, Andalusia is the best place for us. We have narrowed our search down to the Malaga region not discounting Granada.

We are particularly interested in Estepona and feel that would be a good starting point.

Our requirements are:
- Good schools (Int'l & local) / nurseries
- Infrastructure - Activities for the kids, amenities etc..
- Not reliant on tourism, so open all year round
- Not brits abroad and only fools and horses bars (no offence to anyone if thats your thing)
- Spanish feeling town
- Reasonable distance to hospital / medical centre

Work is not an issue as we have our own business. We do not speak spanish but will learn.

We are open to all suggestions (even outside of Andalusia if its perfect for us) and look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. We are flying out to Malaga in March to finalise the area we want to live in and to also speak with agents re long term lets etc.. (another post which i'll save for a later date).

Thanks again
Hi !

Can I ask how you are getting on in your search ?

We are due to move over on Feb and can't decide which areas are best ?

Many thanks
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

We felt around San Pedro, Guadalmina and Benhavis would be best for us. They are all around 10-15 mins from each other by car.

Our main reasons were infrastructure (close to Marbella, Malaga and Estepona). There were good nuseries (montessori) and schools within easy reach. We felt it was close enough to the south coast (1hr 20mins) if we wanted to hit a superb golden beach, and close enough to Granada if we wanted to hit the slopes!

What areas are you thinking of?

Hope the above helps
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

molek is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I've just joined this forum, I hope this is the right place to post this, or do I need to start a new post?

My family are also investigating the feasibility of moving to S.Spain. I have had a job offer in Gibraltar and will need to live within a commutable distance, I've started looking at Duquesa, Sabinillas, Casares Costa and Estepona.

Can anyone help me with advice on these areas with regards to schools for a 4 year old and a 11 year old, and any recommended long term rental agencies as we are looking to rent initially.

Thank you
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:43 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molek
Hello,
I've just joined this forum, I hope this is the right place to post this, or do I need to start a new post?

My family are also investigating the feasibility of moving to S.Spain. I have had a job offer in Gibraltar and will need to live within a commutable distance, I've started looking at Duquesa, Sabinillas, Casares Costa and Estepona.

Can anyone help me with advice on these areas with regards to schools for a 4 year old and a 11 year old, and any recommended long term rental agencies as we are looking to rent initially.

Thank you
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molek
Hello,

Thank you

Personally I'd rent in Gib initially and get your kids into an English speaking school and sign up for health care there , the border crossing can be quite stressful if you are in a hurry.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 29th 2017 at 12:10 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Slendab is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair point! we are realistic and know that we can't escape the whole brits abroad thing. We just want to find a town that retains some spanish charm. We don't mind going slightly inland 30 mins from coast.

Anyone know what Mijas Pueblo is like?
I have only just joined the forum but I don't agree that you cannot find places on the coast that are beautiful Spanish villages. I have lived for 14 years just minutes above the beaches and a small Spanish coastal resort. It has all amenities and have loved living here. Sadly due to health I am now selling up. Don't give up on finding that special place on the coast in Andalucia. :-)