Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young Family Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are 2 elements to your criteria that are problematic

You want to live on the Coast but in an area that isnt reliant on tourism

And you dont want to be around Brits abroad

Basically that is an impossible ask pretty much anywhere on the Andalucian and Med Coast, unless you go an live in a city such as Malaga. Estepona is primarily an area that tourists live and there are loads of Brits there. However, that doesnt mean that you have to eat at the greasy spoon etc.

I used to live in Benalmadena but I made it a rule to only speak Spanish when outside of the house. The problem being that English speakers assumed I was Spanish, and Spanish speakers (by the way I look) assumed I was a foreigner who didnt speak Spanish

It is difficult to integrate in any of the tourist areas because of this issue, but at the end of the day, personal relationships are built according to what you put into them, nothing else

So to conclude, Estepona is full of tourists in the summer, is very quiet in teh winter and has plenty of Brits who live there, but that shouldnt put you off. Plenty of Spanish, Germans and Finns live there too, you can mix with whoever you want to
Fair point! we are realistic and know that we can't escape the whole brits abroad thing. We just want to find a town that retains some spanish charm. We don't mind going slightly inland 30 mins from coast.

Anyone know what Mijas Pueblo is like?

Last edited by Fun in the sun; Jan 27th 2017 at 12:29 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, you are taxed where you live. If you set up a UK Ltd company it will be taxed in the UK, but if you live in Spain you must pay Spanish income tax and social deductions on all salaries paid to you by the Ltd. You would also be taxed in Spain if your Ltd pays dividends to you.

I am not sure if you might get some credit in Spain for taxes paid by the Ltd in the UK.
A UK Limited company is possibly a very good idea if you have a good UK income as it is its own legal entity , even if it makes hundreds of thousands of pounds you will not have to pay any tax in Spain ....unless you draw from the company account , so the Ltd company can be doing very nicely and building up some cash and you as the MD and shareholder can control what you draw , ie the bare minimum to live , and dont forget all the expenses you can put through the company, the way to go.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rotor - good solid advice. That was pretty much the route we were looking at
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

So, only a few weeks left until we set off for Spain to check out somewhere suitable to live. We have opted to stay in Estepona as a base to explore the west of Malaga. However we are still undecided about where to stay east of Malaga, Nerja? Motril? Any suggestions anyone?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
So, only a few weeks left until we set off for Spain to check out somewhere suitable to live. We have opted to stay in Estepona as a base to explore the west of Malaga. However we are still undecided about where to stay east of Malaga, Nerja? Motril? Any suggestions anyone?
Estepona isnt far from Gib , could prove useful for business banking etc. From the other three destinations you suggest I`d say Nerja would suit an English family best unless you are fluent in Spanish,
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Estepona isnt far from Gib , could prove useful for business banking etc. From the other three destinations you suggest I`d say Nerja would suit an English family best unless you are fluent in Spanish
Not fluent in Spanish yet!

Although we would like to be part of an expat community we don't want to get too comfortable to the point where we don't make the effort to integrate with the Spanish and speak the language. I guess that's up to us though!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Stilldreaming is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

This is so uncanny, we are also looking into moving to Spain, Andalusia / Malaga region and we're the same age as you and both our kids are very similar !

These are questions we have so I'm following this and please do post on here how it goes !

We love San Pedro as it's close to action and seems a lovely Spanish town.

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stilldreaming
Hi

This is so uncanny, we are also looking into moving to Spain, Andalusia / Malaga region and we're the same age as you and both our kids are very similar !

These are questions we have so I'm following this and please do post on here how it goes !

Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:08 am
Just Joined

jshehadeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I just joined this forum today! I have moved to La Palma, Canary Islands and am wondering if anyone else on this forum lives here too, so I can start to make some friends...
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jshehadeh
Hi, I just joined this forum today! I have moved to La Palma, Canary Islands and am wondering if anyone else on this forum lives here too, so I can start to make some friends...
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stilldreaming
Hi

Thanks
Hi

What a coincidence! When are you thinking of moving?

We are visiting the area in a couple of weeks to speak to agents and finalise on where we feel we could make a go of it. This could change however once we're there and we've settled in!

We went to San Pedro on our last visit and had lunch at a restaurant on the beach. I heard the town has had a bit of a re-jig (technical term) and a spruce up. We didn't go into the centre but will be definitely checking it out on this trip.

Will keep the thread updated on our findings.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point! we are realistic and know that we can't escape the whole brits abroad thing. We just want to find a town that retains some spanish charm. We don't mind going slightly inland 30 mins from coast.

Anyone know what Mijas Pueblo is like?
Mijas pueblo gets packed by tourists. Bus loads come up the mountain from the cruise ships in Malaga. Full of tourist shops. Try further inland , Antequera or similar, there are some wonderful villages that way into the mountains and you are only 30 minutes from Malaga
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What a coincidence! When are you thinking of moving?

We are visiting the area in a couple of weeks to speak to agents and finalise on where we feel we could make a go of it. This could change however once we're there and we've settled in!

We went to San Pedro on our last visit and had lunch at a restaurant on the beach. I heard the town has had a bit of a re-jig (technical term) and a spruce up. We didn't go into the centre but will be definitely checking it out on this trip.

Will keep the thread updated on our findings.
San Pedro / Guadalmina is definitely an "In place" live, lot been done since tunnel put through, close to sea, good centre. Guadalmina offers a good range of apartments, good shopping centre and again pleasant walk down to the beach

Last edited by Loafing Along; Feb 23rd 2017 at 12:42 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Mijas pueblo gets packed by tourists. Bus loads come up the mountain from the cruise ships in Malaga. Full of tourist shops. Try further inland , Antequera or similar, there are some wonderful villages that way into the mountains and you are only 30 minutes from Malaga
Will stay away from there then! Thanks for the advice will check out Antequera and surrounding villages. We're going to spend literally all of our two weeks going from town to village to find the right place for us.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
San Pedro / Guadalmina is definitely an "In place" live, lot been done since tunnel put through, close to sea, good centre. Guadalmina offers a good range of apartments, good shopping centre and again pleasant walk down to the beach
That definitely sounds like the kind of place we're looking for. We are basing ourselves in Estepona for the first week as i feel it also offers all of the above. We need somewhere that has life all year round and amenities which are really important for us having a young family and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.