Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

(yet another) Tax question (sorry!)

(yet another) Tax question (sorry!)

Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default (yet another) Tax question (sorry!)

We're not resident (nor intending to be) so the only taxes I have to worry about are the IBI and non residents' property tax. The latter I can do myself, so won't be instructing a gestor.

I had to put an address in Spain on the form 210, for receipt of notifications. We don't have a postal address (we're in the sticks outside the town boundary): I put our poligono and parcela numbers in the form, although we won't actually get any post there. Just hoping my calculations etc are correct and they won't need to notify us of anything!

Now, though, the Spanish solicitors who acted on our purchase have received our IBI bill for this year and forwarded it to us. This was a surprise as I had understood we could just go to the Ayuntamiento and ask them to print it off for us. So the issue of a postal address seems to be, well, more of an issue. We do not want to pay 120 euros a year for a Post Office Box, and anyway if anything comes through with a time limit we may well not be there to deal with it.

Can we arrange to receive notifications / bills by email? If so, can anyone explain how?

(We don't receive any utility bills as we are entirely off-grid. Also, we have closed our Spanish bank account as we couldn't see any use for it and the fees were pretty steep, so we can't pay the IBI by direct debit - as suggested by the solicitor!)

Many thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:39 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (yet another) Tax question (sorry!)

I don't think you can get IBI bills by email - they issue so many and really aren't very computerised.

Our town hall still uses massive books to look up each property!

Why not simply ask your gestor if you can use their address and have them scan bills to you (might be much less than a postal box).
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.suma.es/PortalWeb/distribuidor_login.xhtml

If you have an electronic signature or bank with Caixa, BBVA, or Sabadell you can access your account, get a copy of your bill and pay online.

You could also just set up to pay by direct debit and then you need not worry about getting a bill.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link stevesainty. I have managed to find the equivalent site for Castellon province. Being able to pay online will solve part of our problem, but we have to enter the details from the bill in order to pay.

I'm afraid I don't understand the electronic signature thing. Can I access the bills via an electronic signature, and if so, how do I get one ?

(As mentioned, we have no gestor and no Spanish bank account, and I don't want to have to rely on the solicitor for this)

Many thanks indeed.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

This will help with rthe signature side of things.-

Obtaining a Digital Signature (Electronic Certificate) - Andalucia.com

Although we do pay for a PO (or AP) box in Correos, prior to doing that they held all our mail in a filing cabinet which we collected as and when. Obviously I don't know if the same would apply to you, and if so, for how long they would hold it.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fran this is not an issue I have as our house is in a village. Only thing I can say is in 9 years of submitting the 210 I have never had any notification from them. But no doubt without the address the form will not go through. The solicitors or gestors address would be good but no doubt they would say yes use ours we will deal with it and submit forms at xxx euros. Do you have a friend who's address you could put down? Doesn't have to be near you or even someone who's resident in Spain, just an address in Spain. Just a thought.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FranE
Thanks for the link stevesainty. I have managed to find the equivalent site for Castellon province. Being able to pay online will solve part of our problem, but we have to enter the details from the bill in order to pay.

I'm afraid I don't understand the electronic signature thing. Can I access the bills via an electronic signature, and if so, how do I get one ?

(As mentioned, we have no gestor and no Spanish bank account, and I don't want to have to rely on the solicitor for this)

Many thanks indeed.
If you follow the details in VEDShappy´s post you can get a digital signature.

Basically you put in your personal details including NIE number. A code is then produced. You take this code to your local INSS (social security office) a link to a list of these offices is given in the Andalucia forum link. They then do some twiddling on the computer after you show them your passport etc. as proof of ID. Two hours later you go back onto the website and download your digital signature and then import it into your browser. You now have a digital signature that automatically pops up when needed.

I find it invaluable as it enables you to go on all the Government websites and look at all the personal stuff that they hold, Traffico, SUMA, Agenencia Tributaria (income tax). It is also valid for websites in UK.

I am surprised that more people do not get them as they are free and very easy to obtain.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty

Basically you put in your personal details including NIE number. A code is then produced. You take this code to your local INSS (social security office) a link to a list of these offices is given in the Andalucia forum link.

I find it invaluable as it enables you to go on all the Government websites and look at all the personal stuff that they hold, Traffico, SUMA, Agenencia Tributaria (income tax). It is also valid for websites in UK.

I am surprised that more people do not get them as they are free and very easy to obtain.

... sorry but this is not much good as he lives in Castellon (Valencia).

Also, don't forget that SUMA is a tax collection office for Alicante ONLY.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... sorry but this is not much good as he lives in Castellon (Valencia).

Also, don't forget that SUMA is a tax collection office for Alicante ONLY.
From the link you can choose which area.
For instance, I used this link and obtained my signature via the Ayuntamiento in Torrent (Valencia)
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Digital Signatures with a certificate have been superseded in most cases by the new Cl@ve Pin. It's much easier to get and does not require a visit to a government office to validate.

When you need a PIN, you use the app on your Mobile phone and the PIN is sent immediately to your phone. It does not involve your computer in any way and you can use it wherever you are.

Cl@ve PIN - Cl@ve
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Don't worry snikpoh, I've already found the Castellon web page for online payment.

bobd, such neighbours as we have are all in the same position as ourselves, ie no postal address. We have good friends who own a holiday flat locally, but they don't have a letter box !

And thanks Fred for the info on Cl@ve PIN, but the registration procedure appears to require a Spanish bank account, which we don't have!

So, I shall have a go at the electronic signature. It looks like a right old palaver, but hey ho, I'm retired, my time's my own!

Thanks all AS EVER. I don't know how I would ever cope without all you lovely people on here.