Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you go back to the UK ?

Would you go back to the UK ?

Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you go back to the UK ?

Originally Posted by agoreira
The "lower cost of living" is getting higher by the day though, and I doubt it will sy top rising anytime soon. Not surprisingly spending is dropping on many things, even on unthinkable things like women's clothing.
http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/28/...70_337313.html
amazon will knock that on the head, so many things used to cost so much, our business for instance, we buy direct for Dell for peanuts for volume, we could never do that without a internet presence, I still feel Spain and other EU countries are 2/3 years behind the UK on that, once that is established more, prices will come down on such items.

whether they allow Amazon too kill the high street is another issue, but its one forces down further cost of living
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The "lower cost of living" is getting higher by the day though, and I doubt it will stop rising anytime soon. Not surprisingly spending is dropping on many things, even on unthinkable things like women's clothing.
http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/28/...70_337313.html
A great deal of the privations described in the article relate to the fact that the working age population is suffering badly, though, because of unemployment and wage cuts, whilst:-

"As a result of high unemployment and wage cuts, retirees have been the section of society that has best weathered the storm, often helping out other members of the extended family.

Average spending for this group was up 0.8 percent at 25,817 euros last year, while the budget for families where the head of the household was in work fell 4 percent to 32,005 euros. In the case of families where the head of the household is unemployed, spending fell by 2.8 percent to 19,152 euro"

The vast majority of British people thinking of moving to Spain are the retired and early retired, and they will not find it as difficult. After all, is not the cost of living in the UK rising by the day also? And probably everywhere else in Europe too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-in-2005.html
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It does say in the Spanish article that

Electricity cost 254 euros more, a rise of 52 percent, while spending on transport has risen by 31 euros, or 47 percent. Spending on attending university has climbed 23 percent, while outlays on technical training have risen by 36 percent. Part of that might be explained by the fact that students are deciding to remain in education due to a lack of job opportunities, given the parlous state of the labor market.

I also noticed when we were there that petrol was €1.54. Funny, Spanish fora are always saying things have gone up but expat ones claim things have gone down

Seems by most posts the most important decision to stay in Spain is the fact hey can drink themselves silly on €2 plonk
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I quite agree, however the number of people who cite 'the lower cost of living' as one of the reasons for moving to Spain just keep coming.
That's very true (and the crime rate is another one )

I think that if we were all being totally honest with ourselves , the answer is simply that we came to Spain on holiday and associate the country with easy, carefree living and sunshine and THAT's the reason we came - the only reason. All the other stuff is just rationalisation.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It does say in the Spanish article that

Electricity cost 254 euros more, a rise of 52 percent, while spending on transport has risen by 31 euros, or 47 percent. Spending on attending university has climbed 23 percent, while outlays on technical training have risen by 36 percent. Part of that might be explained by the fact that students are deciding to remain in education due to a lack of job opportunities, given the parlous state of the labor market.

I also noticed when we were there that petrol was €1.54. Funny, Spanish fora are always saying things have gone up but expat ones claim things have gone down

Seems by most posts the most important decision to stay in Spain is the fact hey can drink themselves silly on €2 plonk
It does indeed say that the cost of electricity has increased by 52% over 5 years. However, in the same period the average dual fuel bills in the UK increased by 65%:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/financial...ld-energy.html

Transport costs? Look at the graphs in this article to see how much rail fares have increased for commuters in the UK (ie millions of people) since 2008:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ommuter-routes

You can't take price rises in Spain in isolation as though the cost of everything in the UK is remaining static - it most certainly is not.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jul 28th 2013 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pete_l
I think that if we were all being totally honest with ourselves , the answer is simply that we came to Spain on holiday and associate the country with easy, carefree living and sunshine and THAT's the reason we came - the only reason. All the other stuff is just rationalisation.
But there are plenty of places I had been to on holiday and enjoyed, complete with sunshine, and whether they might be cheaper or not I could never have contemplated living there.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Average spending for this group was up 0.8 percent at 25,817 euros last year, while the budget for families where the head of the household was in work fell 4 percent to 32,005 euros. In the case of families where the head of the household is unemployed, spending fell by 2.8 percent to 19,152 euro"
According to this survey, Spanish pensioners and working households have a lot money that British pensioners and working households

The average pensioner household in the UK has less than 20k euros income, which Spanish pensioners spend 26k euros per year

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/p...ng-harder.html

While the average UK household spends 23k euros per year, a Spanish working household spends 32k euros

So either Spaniards are much richer than Brits, or there is something wrong with the survey

To me, it actually make sense that the average Spanish pensioner is richer than the average British pensioner, but I am surprised about the working household data
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
If it's not too nosey, where in the UK are you moving back to?
Presently South Birmibngham, but that will be changing soon :-)

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
I can never understand the points about the comparative costs of living...it has always been cheaper to live in Spain than in the UK despite the increased costs of electricity, petrol and food. My local council tax is 86 euros a year..nuff said! and I live 15 minutes from Marbella in the SO CALLED expensive south!
Well, you say that but people in Spain on different forums have been saying its about the same (in certain areas) for ages.

As I'm always told when I mention council tax ..... "council tax isn't everything". There's a lot that's more expensive in Spain than the UK.

You have to take a broad point of view. In the CB North we were careful about where we shopped and what we bought. We kept our costs down. In the UK we follow the same line now, and we go to Aldi / Lidl before we do the Asda thing :-) I wouldn't say its cheaper at all to be in the UK now, but I wouldn't say that the gap is as huge as many seem to think (and that included me, until I had up to date experience of both economies).

And I'm sorry to break this to you all. I know it's hard to take .... but the UK isn't the crap horrid crime ridden place that some seem to be intent on saying it is. .
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been of the belief that if you have a country with a area such as Real Canada which the UK has the mirror of say Jaywick, then if such poverty exists and people can live it proves without any doubt 100% that the cost of living must be cheaper, it just depends how you choose to live.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Presently South Birmibngham, but that will be changing soon .
Never heard of it!!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Never heard of it!!!!!!!

Rosemary
Its very close to Birmingham
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I have always been of the belief that if you have a country with a area such as Real Canada which the UK has the mirror of say Jaywick, then if such poverty exists and people can live it proves without any doubt 100% that the cost of living must be cheaper, it just depends how you choose to live.
Sorry Andy I don't get this logic.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

While the average UK household spends 23k euros per year, a Spanish working household spends 32k euros

So either Spaniards are much richer than Brits, or there is something wrong with the survey
As you describe it, quite a lot wrong with the survey.

Average UK household compared to average Spanish WORKING household.

Obviously the Spanish NON working households of which I imagine there must be many in these troubled times, appear to have been left out of your equation ?????

Statistics, statistics.............
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:40 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
According to this survey, Spanish pensioners and working households have a lot money that British pensioners and working households

The average pensioner household in the UK has less than 20k euros income, which Spanish pensioners spend 26k euros per year

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/p...ng-harder.html

To me, it actually make sense that the average Spanish pensioner is richer than the average British pensioner, but I am surprised about the working household data
Well you could have fooled me. Hardly ever seen a prosperous looking pensioner in Spain. They hang around the streets with nothing to do, the women in their pinafore dresses from the market In the UK the country Inns and restaurants are full of well-dressed pensioners having lunch, they also join golf clubs, go to the theatre. Holidays are cruises etc. Infact they re all over the place!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:59 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Where are you reading that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.