Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you go back to the UK ?

Would you go back to the UK ?

Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you go back to the UK ?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahh, you see that's where we nailed it. Before I left I sussed out rental accommodation and we can go back for the worst months of the winter now

Cost of living though very much depends where you live. I havent found the cost of living that much greater here, but I know if you are further South in Spain in CDS people say its as expensive there to live as it is in the UK
I can never understand the points about the comparative costs of living...it has always been cheaper to live in Spain than in the UK despite the increased costs of electricity, petrol and food. My local council tax is 86 euros a year..nuff said! and I live 15 minutes from Marbella in the SO CALLED expensive south!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you go back to the UK ?

Our heating bill and we was ripped off because our landlord wont let us change gas company charged us £2,400 for the Qtr Oct - Jan, then I broke our agreement and changed to another supplier, which has worked out £84 a month since, so there is another big bill that will disappear from the UK
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Our heating bill and we was ripped off because our landlord wont let us change gas company charged us £2,400 for the Qtr Oct - Jan, then I broke our agreement and changed to another supplier, which has worked out £84 a month since, so there is another big bill that will disappear from the UK
You can't really compare yet as you haven't moved! Yes rents are lower in Spain but there are no safeguards if you earn under a few hundred per week like in the UK. Electric per kilowatt is more expensive in Spain. OK some say they have low bills, that's just because they use less...you may not be the same. Likewise you hear of low council tax bills in Spain but it's not the norm now. Ours was over a thousand euros, probably more now and even the small 2 bed boxes paid around €500.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sold our place almost immediately.

I'm going back because I want to. Not because I'm forced to, but because our time in Spain has come to an end.

The UK is fine. Right now, even the weather is good :-)
We sold before even putting it on sale. I had wanted to leave a couple of years before although OH wasn't bothered. Houses weren't selling from around 2007 in Marbella, long before the crisis so we never even thought of selling up. A second cousin, probably once removed too called for a drink. He is an eye surgeon and was moving from Madrid. he was moaning over the state of overpriced crap on the market. I offered him ours for 250,000 less than the valuation and he snapped it up! We still came out well in profit as we bought it in the 90's., they were silly pie in the sky figures anyway!

I felt euphoric to get out as was beginning to feel insecure there. Nothing bad ever happened to us but I know a lot who have had nightmares. I agree with Mitzi about views from people in the UK. Even the postman looked at me pityingly when I said we had just moved from Spain

I was going to Spain before I can remember as grandfather (Spanish) had a place there but now it's not the Spain I loved and knew. Of course newbies won't have that problem, they like it as they see it now. I never thought it through if we would go back to the UK or not, I never say never about anything....even returning though it's very doubtful as I feel now.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Our electric bill for two months is 302 euros.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You can't really compare yet as you haven't moved! Yes rents are lower in Spain but there are no safeguards if you earn under a few hundred per week like in the UK. Electric per kilowatt is more expensive in Spain. OK some say they have low bills, that's just because they use less...you may not be the same. Likewise you hear of low council tax bills in Spain but it's not the norm now. Ours was over a thousand euros, probably more now and even the small 2 bed boxes paid around €500.
Last year my IBI bill for a 169sqm house was €519 (but I only had to pay €319 because of our Ayuntamiento's discount scheme). Were I still living in the same (smaller) house in the UK, my Council Tax bill would have been £1,100 pa (in an unadopted road so the Council did not maintain it, and fortnightly rubbish collections).

I am only now, after almost 7 years, paying about the same in total for electricity, gas and water as I was when we left the UK in 2006 - and I am pretty sure there have been some hefty price increases there since that time.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jul 27th 2013 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Our electric bill for two months is 302 euros.
My last one, for late March to late May, was €116. The next one will be lower as we've used 150kwh less.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:22 pm
Banned

We live on a private lane and pay £65pa. for it's upkeep, no streetlights (we like it that way, able to see the stars). In addition we pay just over £2400 council tax. however, according to all the stuff the council sent us if we were earning less that about £300 per week we could get a rebate and if on basic pension pay nothing!

In addition to our €1400 tax in Marbella we had to pay urbanisation fees of around €850 pa. So not a big difference especially if you take into account the vast amount of services available in the UK. I didn't leave to be better off anyway, happiness and quality of life is what's important.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:35 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Main cost for me is the rent we are paying £1200 a month + £200 a month council tax, the place we will rent in Spain is bigger + pool and cost 600€ a month, I imagine once we move I would find other places at less cost, so for me ill be saving 11.5k a year in rent, for me that is a big cost.

In my business we have to sell say 47 widgets to live a month, in Spain that will come down to 14 which is well achievable.

I need to try it, see how year 1 goes first
Tidy terraced houses can be rented in N.E. England for as little as £300 a month and upwards.
Well modernised, pleasant surroundings and country walks, no traffic jams, little crime.

Makes it possible to keep a foot in each camp, get away from the torrid Spanish Summer as well as the unpleasant English Winter.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
My last one, for late March to late May, was €116. The next one will be lower as we've used 150kwh less.
Less than 60 euros a month!! Do you just have a small apartment?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:15 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We only pay £74 a month for gas AND electriiity here in the West Midlands. Three bedroomed terraced house.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, I have a 169sqm 3 bed, 2 bath old townhouse with 2 more rooms on the second floor. We use butano for all our cooking and very nearly all heating (apart from an electric heater for the bathroom and, if we need them, electric heaters for the bedrooms). Our total spend on gas for the year would be €175 (at today's prices). We don't, of course, with this type of house have a swimming pool, nor do we have air con (don't need it, haven't even needed to put a fan on in the bedroom at night so far this year). We find the running costs extremely reasonable. No community fees to pay either!

Last edited by Lynn R; Jul 27th 2013 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
No, I have a 169sqm 3 bed, 2 bath old townhouse with 2 more rooms on the second floor. We use butano for all our cooking and very nearly all heating (apart from an electric heater for the bathroom and, if we need them, electric heaters for the bedrooms). Our total spend on gas for the year would be €175 (at today's prices). We don't, of course, with this type of house have a swimming pool, nor do we have air con (don't need it, haven't even needed to put a fan on in the bedroom at night so far this year). We find the running costs extremely reasonable. No community fees to pay either!
On a pro-rata basis there is very little difference in fuel costs between our two homes. Like you we have an old town house but do use the aircon, tumble dryer etc. There is a considerable saving on on our council charges for our Spanish house.
Having said that now we both have GLC freedom passes (trains,tube and buses )we save a considerable sum on fares.
Just back from Brighton for the day, £10 return for the part of the journey outside zone 6.
Ps Brighton must rank as one of the best resorts in Europe.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Tidy terraced houses can be rented in N.E. England for as little as £300 a month and upwards.
Well modernised, pleasant surroundings and country walks, no traffic jams, little crime.

Makes it possible to keep a foot in each camp, get away from the torrid Spanish Summer as well as the unpleasant English Winter.
Before I signed the contract for Spain, 6 weeks ago we went to Darlington and Newcastle to look at a few gaffes, I was half swayed I must admit but it was nice summers days, I don't know if we could manage that,

We will get this first year out the way and ill see if worked or not, if not we will have to come back or consider something else, its a shame I never got to be out for long in the good days Pre 2008
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnnyone
On a pro-rata basis there is very little difference in fuel costs between our two homes. Like you we have an old town house but do use the aircon, tumble dryer etc. There is a considerable saving on on our council charges for our Spanish house.
Having said that now we both have GLC freedom passes (trains,tube and buses )we save a considerable sum on fares.
Just back from Brighton for the day, £10 return for the part of the journey outside zone 6.
Ps Brighton must rank as one of the best resorts in Europe.
The free travel passes in the UK are great, make them most of them whilst they last as I fear they may go the way of the WFA in the not too distant future!

I do like Brighton, have been there many times for conferences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.