Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it be like this for Brits visiting Spain post Brexit?

Originally Posted by carcajou
Really? I quoted from The Guardian and Eurostat.

Interesting you didn't try to refute what I wrote, just tried to discredit me through lazy insult.
Psst , she`s not very bright
Old Oct 21st 2017, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The most spoken language in the European Union is English - 51% of the EU population can speak it (at least until the UK leaves). Second place is German at 27%. Take out the native-speaking citizens of both languages, and you see there is not a lot of linguistic operability between the populations of EU countries.
So after UK leaves the EU 43% of the 27 will speak English (& 30% will speak German) - that's plenty of interoperability. Consider also the demograph / professions of those who speak English as a common language. In mine, for example the rate of English speaking is 100 % (in an organisation that comprised the EU 28 + 16 other nearby States).
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
So after UK leaves the EU 43% of the 27 will speak English (& 30% will speak German) - that's plenty of interoperability. Consider also the demograph / professions of those who speak English as a common language. In mine, for example the rate of English speaking is 100 % (in an organisation that comprised the EU 28 + 16 other nearby States).
Can you tell me how you got your 30% for German - minus the native speakers that I alluded to in my post, in my figures I got 42% for English (basically same as you) but only 10% for German once you subtract Germany and Austria.

I concede that English is the lingua franca of the European Union but I would contest that there is operability with German when only 10% of the population outside Germany and Austria can speak the language.

I would also say that having 58% not speak English is also very problematic for operability, but perhaps somewhat workable in some fields.

But I think this strengthens what I wrote, not weakens it.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

. Can you tell me how you got your 30% for German - minus the native speakers that I alluded to in my post, in my figures I got 42% for English (basically same as you) but only 10% for German once you subtract Germany and Austria.
In the context of UK leaving the EU but Germany / Austria remaining. As you say the interoperability stems from the use of English - which is why more & more young Europeans are learning English.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Oct 21st 2017 at 1:11 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Where I did slip up is by deducting 65M for the UK. Given the continental Europeans in Britain I should probably have deducted 62M!
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

In the context of UK leaving the EU but Germany / Austria remaining. As you say the interoperability stems from the use of English - which is why more & more young Europeans are learning English.
Yes, they are, which is why the UK leaving is so damaging to the European Project. The young Italians I know aspire to live in London, not Frankfurt.

But my point was the interoperability between various populations - if there is only 10% who speak German in 25 of the 27 other countries, then it doesn't work.

Without the UK as part of Free Movement the entire project I believe becomes even more of a paper benefit than it already was.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are, which is why the UK leaving is so damaging to the European Project. The young Italians I know aspire to live in London, not Frankfurt.

But my point was the interoperability between various populations - if there is only 10% who speak German in 25 of the 27 other countries, then it doesn't work.

Without the UK as part of Free Movement the entire project I believe becomes even more of a paper benefit than it already was.
Having listened to Barnier & Co the prefered language seems to be French
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

. But my point was the interoperability between various populations - if there is only 10% who speak German in 25 of the 27 other countries, then it doesn't work.
Yes it does, because of the use of English.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Having listened to Barnier & Co the prefered language seems to be French
The language of diplomacy used to be French.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The language of diplomacy used to be French.
Yes - even the Russians speak it
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

VW have directed their senior staff to speak English.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Where I did slip up is by deducting 65M for the UK. Given the continental Europeans in Britain I should probably have deducted 62M!
Ha!

I was referring to "native speaking populations" and so when calculating English, 5 million extra people need to be deducted to account for Ireland.

So, 508 million EU citizens x 51% = 259 million English speakers.

259 million English speakers - subtract 66 million = 193 million English speakers in the EU after Brexit.

Subtract another 5 million for Ireland = 188 million.

Divide 188 million by 442 million [post-Brexit EU population] = 42.53%

So, let's just round up to 43% and you are correct.

So, 43% of the post-Brexit EU population outside the native-speaking countries will speak English, compared to 10% for German.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it does, because of the use of English.
But 57% won't speak it!

Besides - my original point was that Free Movement doesn't benefit the vast majority of EU Citizens unless they have language skills to a near-native level. With the UK out of Free Movement, that issue becomes seriously, seriously accentuated.

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 21st 2017 at 2:36 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... So, 43% of the post-Brexit EU population outside the native-speaking countries will speak English, compared to 10% for German.
The population of Germany is about 82 million, and even if you allow for some immigrants who don't speak German, how can, say 70/440 be 10%, it is about 16%, or was 10% a typo?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 21st 2017 at 1:37 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Ha!

I was referring to "native speaking populations" and so when calculating English, 5 million extra people need to be deducted to account for Ireland.

So, 508 million EU citizens x 51% = 259 million English speakers.

259 million English speakers - subtract 66 million = 193 million English speakers in the EU after Brexit.

Subtract another 5 million for Ireland = 188 million.

Divide 188 million by 442 million [post-Brexit EU population] = 42.53%

So, let's just round up to 43% and you are correct.

So, 43% of the post-Brexit EU population outside the native-speaking countries will speak English, compared to 10% for German.
Why are you subtracting Ireland, still part of the EU - we are assessing proportions pre & post Brexit. Similarly how does taking the UK out reduce your figure for German from 27% down to 10%? German speaking percentage will rise post Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.