Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why would you want to live in Mallorca?

Why would you want to live in Mallorca?

Old Jul 29th 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Abury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why would you want to live in Mallorca?

I was just reading through the threads about migrating to Mallorca and whilst I like Mallorca, I don't see why anyone would want to move there of all places. I have went on vacation a number of times to Mallorca and I've also rented a place whilst I worked there for a short period. So whilst I'm not an expert on the area I've had a chance to get a good look around.

The first thing I see when I visit Mallorca which makes me cringe is an advertising banner on the major roads out of Palma; it's written entirely in English and is for Burger King. This really demonstrates in my opinion a lot of what Mallorca is about, people going there aren't interested in Mallorcan culture and Mallorcans recognise this and destroy their own culture in order to make it look as much like England as possible.

If you get into any of the large tourist destinations you'll probably see a number of bars with names like English Bar, Irish Bar, Trotters. This again shows a lack of culture and an acceptance that visitors aren't interested in visiting a Spanish bar. The best you could expect of tourists to try the Spanish way of life is a Tapas bar with the menu in English.

Palma is apparently where over half of the island's population lives, yet even there it seems to have been butchered by the tourism industry. There, many of the signs for restaurants are in English.

What I suspect makes it attractive for many English people is the fact that it's largely catered for English tourists; you can get by not knowing a word of their language. But whilst I think it's made easy for tourists to be tourists (since that's profitable for the locals), I don't think it's made easy to migrate (which isn't so profitable).

The second issue I see is language and integration into society. One thread I read was a woman who spoke "a bit of Spanish". But the major language of Mallorca is Catalan. Granted, Spanish is an official language and most people will understand you but the language of choice for many locals and certainly the government is Catalan. If few people in England speak Spanish, even fewer speak Catalan. I just see it being hard to integrate into society if you can't communicate effectively.

I have to wonder about how the Mallorcans feel about expats settling in their country that speak "a bit of Spanish". Many of which I'm sure won't even bother to learn anything more than that.

So just to summarise my thoughts; if you don't speak much Spanish and Catalan I think it would be hard to properly integrate. If you speak their languages then you're moving to a place which has largely adopted the English language and culture anyway so why not move somewhere like mainland Spain away from the tourist areas?

I'm not trying to judge people who want to move there. I'm just trying to understand why it's the destination of choice for many expats.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why would you want to live in Mallorca?

If I was quite rich I'd certainly consider Mallorca. There are some beautiful parts to the island, and the climate is generally benign. There are things that would put me off personally, but I can certainly see the appeal.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abury
I was just reading through the threads about migrating to Mallorca and whilst I like Mallorca, I don't see why anyone would want to move there of all places. I have went on vacation a number of times to Mallorca and I've also rented a place whilst I worked there for a short period. So whilst I'm not an expert on the area I've had a chance to get a good look around.

The first thing I see when I visit Mallorca which makes me cringe is an advertising banner on the major roads out of Palma; it's written entirely in English and is for Burger King. This really demonstrates in my opinion a lot of what Mallorca is about, people going there aren't interested in Mallorcan culture and Mallorcans recognise this and destroy their own culture in order to make it look as much like England as possible.

If you get into any of the large tourist destinations you'll probably see a number of bars with names like English Bar, Irish Bar, Trotters. This again shows a lack of culture and an acceptance that visitors aren't interested in visiting a Spanish bar. The best you could expect of tourists to try the Spanish way of life is a Tapas bar with the menu in English.

Palma is apparently where over half of the island's population lives, yet even there it seems to have been butchered by the tourism industry. There, many of the signs for restaurants are in English.

What I suspect makes it attractive for many English people is the fact that it's largely catered for English tourists; you can get by not knowing a word of their language. But whilst I think it's made easy for tourists to be tourists (since that's profitable for the locals), I don't think it's made easy to migrate (which isn't so profitable).

The second issue I see is language and integration into society. One thread I read was a woman who spoke "a bit of Spanish". But the major language of Mallorca is Catalan. Granted, Spanish is an official language and most people will understand you but the language of choice for many locals and certainly the government is Catalan. If few people in England speak Spanish, even fewer speak Catalan. I just see it being hard to integrate into society if you can't communicate effectively.

I have to wonder about how the Mallorcans feel about expats settling in their country that speak "a bit of Spanish". Many of which I'm sure won't even bother to learn anything more than that.

So just to summarise my thoughts; if you don't speak much Spanish and Catalan I think it would be hard to properly integrate. If you speak their languages then you're moving to a place which has largely adopted the English language and culture anyway so why not move somewhere like mainland Spain away from the tourist areas?

I'm not trying to judge people who want to move there. I'm just trying to understand why it's the destination of choice for many expats.
Just a quick answer to a long question>

Because that is what they want.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:44 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I cant understand why people want to live in the UK - London in particular. I cant understand the latest craze of the Olympics, I can understand why people think that Mallorca isnt the right place to immigrate to..........

We;re all different I guess

Jo xxx
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I cant understand why people want to live in the UK - London in particular. I cant understand the latest craze of the Olympics, I can understand why people think that Mallorca isnt the right place to immigrate to..........

We;re all different I guess

Jo xxx
Most places have pluses and minuses. I can see why London puts off people, but there is plenty that surely appeals - all the museums, shows, sporting facilities, transport links, City and multi-national jobs, range of eating places, shopping outlets, parks, monuments etc etc....
But back to Mallorca - the climate must surely be a major lure, and for those who want to set up a tourist related business, Mallorca must have an advantage over many mainland resorts in that tourism is more widely spread over the year (although I imagine the close season is still at least a couple of months or so).
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:41 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Personal choice. I think it is overated, most of it is sheer Benidorm with scenery. There are some nice places but these tend to be expensive. It is much colder than the mainland costas and often has snow in winter.

I often wonder why people live in Hull...but thousands do
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Many people want to live in Spain (particularly pensioners) and have absolutely no wish or intention of "integrating into society".

There is nothing wrong with that - they pay their taxes in Spain and spend their pensions in Spain. As such they contribute at least as much as some Spaniards.

They are happier in an environment where they don't have to struggle with the language and are surrounded by people of their own nationality and culture.

I can't see anything wrong with that if that's what they want and Mallorca is as good a place as any to do that - a lot prettier than Benidorm.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

codex70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting. I'd love to move to Mallorca, but would like to move to a Spanish part of the island. Believe me magaluf, burger king and Irish bars are not for us.

We've stayed inland in a small village, the landscape is stunning and the architecture equally so. It also has great access to some stunning beaches (if a little crowded in season). I'd also like to take advantage of the tourist market on the island, unfortunately property prices there haven't dropped enough yet!

Still, if you know somewhere on mainland Spain that's got the climate, architecture, scenery then believe me I'd love to know.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is, why not?

People go to the Costa Blanca or CDS on holiday every year and think they know all about Spain. They go to Magaluf and think they know Mallorca.

THIS is Mallorca too!

Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Given the choice between Mallorca, Mainland Spain and one of the Canaries,
Mallorca would come a very poor last for me on just about every count.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:08 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually this is a bit of a pointless thread. We all like different things and there is no discussion.

Jo xxx
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I think the OP is asking for positive reasons for living in Mallorca. We all have different preferences. I don't think they were asking "Is Mallorca your favourite place"?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think the OP is asking for positive reasons for living in Mallorca. We all have different preferences. I don't think they were asking "Is Mallorca your favourite place"?
I take your point but would suggest that any positive reasons have to be weighed up and show some advantage over positive reasons for similar alternative locations in order to be worthy of consideration, so in that respect I'm afraid I can't come up with any.
Just my personal opinion of course.
Everyone to their own.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

codex70 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know of any similar locations that offer what I've seen in Mallorca, I think off the beaten track (I know it's relative and not completely off track) it's a beautiful place. I have to admit though, there's a lot of Spain I haven't seen, and would love to know of these alternative locations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.