Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

why stay in england

why stay in england

Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:00 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why stay in england

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There seems to be a hell of a lot of soul searching and reasoning going on at the moment doesnt there?
I think thats only enevitable on an expats forum where theres members who are on here looking to leave the country. Its one of the biggest things you can do, sell up and move to a foreign land away from everything and everyone youve been used to.
Despite being all booked to go I still have to go over the way im thinking about it, why am i doing it? what are the push pull factors. And it'll be the same once im there.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I think thats only enevitable on an expats forum where theres members who are on here looking to leave the country. Its one of the biggest things you can do, sell up and move to a foreign land away from everything and everyone youve been used to.
Despite being all booked to go I still have to go over the way im thinking about it, why am i doing it? what are the push pull factors. And it'll be the same once im there.
I dont disagree but there is a lot more than usual is all.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

... I still have to go over the way im thinking about it, why am i doing it?
That's easy: to have a big adventure and embarrass yourself big-style - both culturally and linguistically
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:34 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

ok still feeling fed up with this country the suns out dont feel any different have read all your theads today thank you .My parents live in almeria this makes it even harder i have a house near sorbas waiting for me but can only visit on holidays at the moment ive got to wait till my boys have both left school 4yrs in total and ive got some money behind me i dont care any more what freinds say about living my dream im still going . So at the moment i have to read all these theads every day and get more jelouse by every one who is already living my dream . Are you all feeling sorry for me .helen
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
ok still feeling fed up with this country the suns out dont feel any different have read all your theads today thank you .My parents live in almeria this makes it even harder i have a house near sorbas waiting for me but can only visit on holidays at the moment ive got to wait till my boys have both left school 4yrs in total and ive got some money behind me i dont care any more what freinds say about living my dream im still going . So at the moment i have to read all these theads every day and get more jelouse by every one who is already living my dream . Are you all feeling sorry for me .helen
Well at the moment it is chilly, wet and downright dreary in my bit of Spain but at least I know this will not last for weeks on end so good reason for being here.

Cost of living is a huge bous for us as we are on a very limited income that we could not have even existed on in UK.

Love it here even though I mess up on communication.

The only thing that can draw me back to UK is family.

Rosemary
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:59 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Helenba i do feel sorry for you. I have to wait 26 days before I can move to spain and its toooo looooooong!!!!! I WANNA GO NOW!!!!!!!!

4 years? i wouldnt even be thinking about it!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:42 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deb B
I have been living in Spain for 3 years and although its not as easy as people think, espacially if you have to earn a living, I cannot think of one good reason why I would want to go back. Saying that its going to rain here for the next week so it feels a little like England right now.
Hello Deb. I have just pulled out of purchasing plot 79 at Hondon de las Nieves (one of the Claudias at the top end near the waste ground) though it was for reasons other than location. Hondon is superb and can understand why you would not want to come back to UK. I lost my holding fee of course but it was not a wasted venture, I know for sure where I want to buy now and thats Hondon area Them dutch in the finca bar are mental by the way Mark and Sebastian
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:04 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread!
Reasons to stay in England:

1. Friends and Family ar e still there.
2. Its your home, your heritigage, its where you are from.
3. You know the language.
4. You know the culture.
5. Its too hot in spain. (for some people)
6. No stress in moving abroad and you can still visit spain on holidays.
7. Easier to find a job.

And thats about all I can think of.

Noooooow reasons to leave England.

1. Having lived there 20 odd years its now getting very boring. Ive seen everything every town i go to looks the same.
2. The people. God I hate british people (yet they seem great out on the costa del sol) Whinging, blame culture. The moment it gets warm everyone winges its too hot the moment we get some semi decent weather. I heard this yesterday when it was 15C. (i tell you now if i hear of an expat saying that in spain i will floor them there and then)
3. Political correctness, ba ba white sheep? WTF?
4. Nanny state politics.
5. Crime rate. (kids in london getting body armour? WTF??
6. Everything is expensive!
7. Spiralling inflatino, house prices.
8. Tax's constantly rising. now up to £300 for road tax!
9. Constant influx of eastern europeans and asylum seekers getting more benefits than OAPs that have worked the last 70 years of their lives.
10. Overcrowded, gotta wait like 3 weeks to get a doctors apointment!
11. I just feel the country is going downhill in every aspect, more and more british people are leaving and more foreigners coming in. Gotta think about my children and what the place will be like in 30 years time when they have to live in it? Coz they will clsoe the borders off eventually and you'll be stuck there. (thats my view anyway)
12. The weather. Rain, Drizzle, Clouds, Grey Grey Grey, cold, all the time, then the minute it gets hot youre stuck in an office and cant enjoy it. or stuck in traffic jams trying to get to the coast.. to arrive to find its not very hot there at all. Then everyones winging its too hot.
13. Chavs. The rising influx of people who just want to live of the social in council housing estates and bring up unruly kids.
14. The kids.. gee they are out of control and you cant do nothing about them, the police cant touch them they know it and they go round destroying everything. Story today about some kids that broke into a primary school and killed some guine pigs and chickens that were being kept as pets for the benefit of the juniors.
15. The fact that despite the country having so many problems all the government seems to care about is Iraq, taxing car drivers, Co2 emissions (which for such a small country isnt going to make a huge difference globally) and smokers.

And tonnes more no doubt.
Just about got it all , well put .
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
This is a good thread.

Because we own a house in Spain we get asked all the time why we're not moving there permanently, I only ever give the one reason for staying in the UK, but I think it's the reason to beat all reasons:

Because we like our lives the way they are - if it's not broken, don't fix it!!

Ahhh you say that but what if its cracking slightly ?
And you can see the gap widening all the time ! Do you wait until its beyond repair or do something about it ?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

no reasons to stay in england but cant afford to go back to spain yet
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Ahhh you say that but what if its cracking slightly ?
And you can see the gap widening all the time ! Do you wait until its beyond repair or do something about it ?

Do I detect a note of disbelief?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:28 pm
Banned

Do I detect a note of disbelief?
No your probably an eccentric millionairre
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big Pete
No your probably an eccentric millionairre
I wish - but I do have a job I love and maybe that makes a difference!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:34 pm
Banned

I see
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dazzle,

I also had a job I absolutely loved, and I "stalled" on our move to Spain because of it
I even seriously contemplated staying on in my job, and just coming out here every six weeks!
However, after a lot of soul searching, I decided that if we were going to make a "new life", then it should be one we made together.

So I broke my heart (a bit!) and bit the bullet......and was amazed to discover that my world didn't collapse
I'm not suggesting that you're a workaholic or anything - just relating my own experience

It was the best move we ever made, and 13 months on we're having a wonderful time.

It's always nice to hear of someone who really enjoys their work.
I want to get back into my line of work once my Spanish is a lot more fluent - and I'm currently having a lot of fun learning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.