Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

why stay in england

why stay in england

Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:07 am
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice
Default why stay in england

some of my friends and family think im mad for wanting to live in spain i say give me 10 reasons why i would like to stay in england they only get to about three then give up .so can any of you beat that i thing ive proven a point dont you go on have ago .helen
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:11 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: why stay in england

1 it rains
2 council tax
3 road charges
4 TV licences
5 Rubbish Bins
6 Ignorant People
7 Ikea over priced
8 Petrol prices
9 Gas prices
10 Having to work until I am 70

Reasons to stay there are None
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:17 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
some of my friends and family think im mad for wanting to live in spain i say give me 10 reasons why i would like to stay in england they only get to about three then give up .so can any of you beat that i thing ive proven a point dont you go on have ago .helen

I've been thinking and this is all I can come up with...

1) The beautiful countryside
2) Family
3) Mmm - struggling now
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:21 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Well We have beautiful country side
and the family come when they want Ther other halfs sister came last week for her birthday Her husband rang tuesday night and said can we come tomorrow want to surprise her we had a fantastic few days and I call the family daily Free using voipcheap.........
What do we miss not a lot
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

this is a good thread.
reasons to leave england.
1. the approach to children
2. the weather.
3. stealth tax on EVERYHTING
4. the state of terror and paranior
5. inflation.
6. the goverment proping up the ecomony with interest rates. (ie making us spend in order to pay interest on everything)
7. Political correctness gone mad
8. NHS
9. over crowding
10. the nanny state.

Reasons to live in Spain.
1. The approach to children
2. the weather
3. the state of Manana
4. inflation has reached its peak now and evened off.
5. Ok, the goverment is pretty corrupt, but it does not directly effect us!
6. No need to spend here, the best things in life are free, time with friends and family.
7. what political correctnes? what health and safety?
8. Good health care system, that seems to work.
9. choose your area, and no over crowding...yet!
10. Take your own responsibility for your actions and accept the concequences.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Deb B is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been living in Spain for 3 years and although its not as easy as people think, espacially if you have to earn a living, I cannot think of one good reason why I would want to go back. Saying that its going to rain here for the next week so it feels a little like England right now.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Well We have beautiful country side
Speaking for myself I not in favor or against British people moving to Spain. After all a lot of Spanish people have moved to England to make a living. So it´s only fair. Besides British and Northern Spaniards share more blood than people think despite the enormous cultural and language differences. This might come as a surprise to you but it´s becoming more clear with modern genetics.

In any case I´d like to point out that yes the country side in the British Islands is beautiful but if you take a trip through Northern Spain from Gerona in the East to La Coruña in the West you´ll find out that the country side is not only beautiful but impressive and that we have something England doesn´t have: real mountains. Some of the areas around Cantabria, Asturias or the Pyrenees are as beautiful as the valleys of Switzerland or Northern Italy, snow included. That said I understand why people go South. I would too: today is rainy and gray around here... somewhere North. Good luck!!!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:04 am
this is me

Originally Posted by gudes
Speaking for myself I not in favor or against British people moving to Spain. After all a lot of Spanish people have moved to England to make a living. So it´s only fair. Besides British and Northern Spaniards share more blood than people think despite the enormous cultural and language differences. This might come as a surprise to you but it´s becoming more clear with modern genetics.

In any case I´d like to point out that yes the country side in the British Islands is beautiful but if you take a trip through Northern Spain from Gerona in the East to La Coruña in the West you´ll find out that the country side is not only beautiful but impressive and that we have something England doesn´t have: real mountains. Some of the areas around Cantabria, Asturias or the Pyrenees are as beautiful as the valleys of Switzerland or Northern Italy, snow included. That said I understand why people go South. I would too: today is rainy and gray around here... somewhere North. Good luck!!!
We are south Our view from our house is of Grazamola mountains they are spectacular, the land scape is green and changes the colours are rich and vibrant.
In my humble opioion we have the best of both worlds sun and amazing landscape.
My other half spent many holidays in Northern Spain and I am looking forward to traveling there later this year.
My other half tells me that the Celts are former spanish fisher men.
We love Spain and all its diverstitys
Thanks for your good wishes
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb B
I have been living in Spain for 3 years and although its not as easy as people think, espacially if you have to earn a living, I cannot think of one good reason why I would want to go back. Saying that its going to rain here for the next week so it feels a little like England right now.
ditto........even the rain!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gallerie9
We are south Our view from our house is of Grazamola mountains they are spectacular, the land scape is green and changes the colours are rich and vibrant.
In my humble opioion we have the best of both worlds sun and amazing landscape.
My other half spent many holidays in Northern Spain and I am looking forward to traveling there later this year.
My other half tells me that the Celts are former spanish fisher men.
We love Spain and all its diverstitys
Thanks for your good wishes
Yes I know your area and it´s very pretty, although it won´t be green in a few months but it still be beautiful.
Obviously there were Celts in Spain, some names like Segovia (Segobriga) still carry a typical Celtic name for towns ("briga") after 2500 years, but this is a complicated issue and Spain a land of many different tribes. Some Spanish people tend to exaggerate the Celtic influence. It might sound cool to them.

The blood connection between the British population and Spain doesn´t seem to be Celtic - there are also big doubts about how much Celtic are the British. Of course Gaelic is a Celtic language and the English speak a Germanic language. But it seems like all those invasions brought culture and language but it did not replace the basic genetic makeup of the British tribes. But now take a look at these maps and tell me: ¿Where did the Basque go? I am sure you´ll find the answer fascinating.

http://www.relativegenetics.com/geno...b_large_RG.jpg

This map refers to a specific genetic marker included in the Y chromosome. This marker happens to be the most common in Western Europe.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:05 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread!
Reasons to stay in England:

1. Friends and Family ar e still there.
2. Its your home, your heritigage, its where you are from.
3. You know the language.
4. You know the culture.
5. Its too hot in spain. (for some people)
6. No stress in moving abroad and you can still visit spain on holidays.
7. Easier to find a job.

And thats about all I can think of.

Noooooow reasons to leave England.

1. Having lived there 20 odd years its now getting very boring. Ive seen everything every town i go to looks the same.
2. The people. God I hate british people (yet they seem great out on the costa del sol) Whinging, blame culture. The moment it gets warm everyone winges its too hot the moment we get some semi decent weather. I heard this yesterday when it was 15C. (i tell you now if i hear of an expat saying that in spain i will floor them there and then)
3. Political correctness, ba ba white sheep? WTF?
4. Nanny state politics.
5. Crime rate. (kids in london getting body armour? WTF??
6. Everything is expensive!
7. Spiralling inflatino, house prices.
8. Tax's constantly rising. now up to £300 for road tax!
9. Constant influx of eastern europeans and asylum seekers getting more benefits than OAPs that have worked the last 70 years of their lives.
10. Overcrowded, gotta wait like 3 weeks to get a doctors apointment!
11. I just feel the country is going downhill in every aspect, more and more british people are leaving and more foreigners coming in. Gotta think about my children and what the place will be like in 30 years time when they have to live in it? Coz they will clsoe the borders off eventually and you'll be stuck there. (thats my view anyway)
12. The weather. Rain, Drizzle, Clouds, Grey Grey Grey, cold, all the time, then the minute it gets hot youre stuck in an office and cant enjoy it. or stuck in traffic jams trying to get to the coast.. to arrive to find its not very hot there at all. Then everyones winging its too hot.
13. Chavs. The rising influx of people who just want to live of the social in council housing estates and bring up unruly kids.
14. The kids.. gee they are out of control and you cant do nothing about them, the police cant touch them they know it and they go round destroying everything. Story today about some kids that broke into a primary school and killed some guine pigs and chickens that were being kept as pets for the benefit of the juniors.
15. The fact that despite the country having so many problems all the government seems to care about is Iraq, taxing car drivers, Co2 emissions (which for such a small country isnt going to make a huge difference globally) and smokers.

And tonnes more no doubt.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:20 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

great replies keep them going i agree with them all this only confirms my reasons for wanting to go to spain even more or am i just getting old and things seem worse than they are
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

This is a good thread.

Because we own a house in Spain we get asked all the time why we're not moving there permanently, I only ever give the one reason for staying in the UK, but I think it's the reason to beat all reasons:

Because we like our lives the way they are - if it's not broken, don't fix it!!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

great replies keep them going i agree with them all this only confirms my reasons for wanting to go to spain even more or am i just getting old and things seem worse than they are
well on just thinking about a couple of things. we can live for a couple of weeks on the amount I DON'T pay for car license, and for a lot longer on the money I save in council tax. Even today, some showers, grey sky, but it's still WARM.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a hell of a lot of soul searching and reasoning going on at the moment doesnt there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.