Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why move ... all that stress

Why move ... all that stress

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move ... all that stress

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Or the Cornish from the wrong side of the Tamar!

That's okay, a Cornishman is really a Welshman who can't swim. I did say that I personally chose NOT to embrace the ethos of where I was brought up, so all welcome as far as I am concerned, and you Bob. Lifes too short.

I am lucky to have had the chance to work in lots of different Countries as a Contractor just prior to cashing in my chips and living here. Sounds corny, but met good and bad, total slobs and real Gentlemen.

Such is life.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Moving is very stressful, I've done it far too often over the past few years and still have at least one more to go before this year is out.

But in the end, if you're where you want to be, it's worth it.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why the OP decided to post. Looking for a reaction which he/she certainly got.
I agree with many comments particularly about the differences between the English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh. I found when in France the English were disliked and we Welsh were welcomed. I’m sure lurchio like me gets a better response from the Spanish when I say I’m welsh not English. Hey ho.
Everyone has a choice, we took early retirement, and have sold up in Wales. It would be different if we had young children. We would not have done it.
We can have a much better lifestyle in Spain, on less income.
Yes there are problems in Spain we don’t have rose tinted glasses. I would love to live in a place like Rosemary. There are too many Brits where we are. There are also French, Belgian, Dutch and of course Spanish. Our Spanish is improving and it is important to learn the language.
Good luck whatever you have decided. As people have said life is too short.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
I wonder why the OP decided to post. Looking for a reaction which he/she certainly got.
I agree with many comments particularly about the differences between the English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh. I found when in France the English were disliked and we Welsh were welcomed. I’m sure lurchio like me gets a better response from the Spanish when I say I’m welsh not English. Hey ho.
Everyone has a choice, we took early retirement, and have sold up in Wales. It would be different if we had young children. We would not have done it.
Yes there are problems in Spain we don’t have rose tinted glasses. I would love to live in a place like Rosemary. There are too many Brits where we are. There are also French, Belgian, Dutch and of course Spanish. Our Spanish is improving and it is important to learn the language.
I only put forward another option to enjoy Spain. IT WAS NOT WANTING A REACTION. But lots of you seem to enjoy replying if it's not worth it WHY BOTHER posting on this thread..
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018

Hey, Croeso!

Yep, you are right, they like the 'Welsh' bit, not sure why. We followed your exact path five years ago, never regretted it and live in the middle of a Spanish community. No complaints here!! But each to their own, as everybody says here..............

Pob hwyl,

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Love Spain but some still have to work, over the years spending time both in Spain and in UK worked out must have lived about two years in Spain on and off..... recognised by the community in Spain, feel part of the community in Spain...like to think best of both worlds.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
All I'm doing is pointing out that there are other ways to enjoy Spain while staying in the UK. Why so prickly? I know lots of people many reluctantly who have had to return to the UK for different reasons so some dreams don't last forever and the UK even Kent ain't that bad!
There are many ways to enjoy Spain one being live there full time, or do half and half or even just short holidays, it is simply an individual choice. I do agree that some dreams don't last forever as no one knows what the future holds and what is around the corner. However the title of your post and the way you have presented yourself throughout the thread means you come across as criticising those that have moved full time and that doing part time is the best way, I reiterate that is simply down to the individual what suits one does not suit the other. Also June 2016 changed how some people's plans worked out or will work out myself included. Live and let live no one answer fits all.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

We had plans to buy and eventually retire in Spain 3 yrs ago.Could'nt decide whether this was a great plan,so decided to retire in the UK,and spend some holidays in Spain,so for us,its a win win situation.We don't have to do 100% to be happy.We love Spain,and are looking forward to having holidays in different area's.We also want to see more of the world,possibly spending more time in India and Sri Lanka in british winter time.