Where to avoid

Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to avoid

Hi everyone.
When moving to the any of the costas to live (after retirement) with hopefully a sea view are there any "bad" areas to be avoided ?
Thanks
Bryan
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to avoid

Any area packed FULL of Brits all year around, or likely to be packed full of Brits on Holiday during the LONG 'season'. I am British, but came here for the culture and life that Spain has to offer, not just to put up with the same life but in a warmer climate!

Remember, even if your Spanish neighbours do talk about you, it won't hurt as you'll never 'get' what they are saying !!! I will leave it to you to discover how CERTAIN UK Ex Pats can behave. Personally, I think its largely because they find themselves with too much time on their hands , and are bored silly and basically, unchallenged.

Its a lovely place with so much to offer, but you have to make the effort to discover it, it doesn't come to you and certainly won't in some British enclave by the sea.

Only my two bob's worth, just be happy with your choice and if in any doubt, RENT FIRST in the area you fancy just to be sure. Its a whole life choice you are making, what is a bit annoying to you now could be a nervous breakdown in a few years!
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OTA63
Hi everyone.
When moving to the any of the costas to live (after retirement) with hopefully a sea view are there any "bad" areas to be avoided ?
Thanks
Bryan
No area's on the Costa's are "bad" area's Bryan!!! It will depend on what you want from your retirement destination.

It might be a good start to have a couple of holidays in different area's and treat each area as if you were living there. I love living where I do but many wouldn't live here as it's got to many expats although you don't 'need' to live in small towns or villages to get the Spanish lifestyle or culture. There are some lovely Spanish people who live in our apartment block who I can talk to on a basic level because I bothered to learn the language.

If you haven't decided where to live at this stage you need to do plenty of research. Most posters will have good points to convey about their town but their lifestyle might not suit you. I could rave on about where I live , only because I love it here.

Steve
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Wise words Lurchio. We plan to rent long term as we cannot afford to buy. I understand what you are saying about moving to a little Britain in a warmer climate. However, some British groups around would be handy for my wife from time to time. I am learning Spanish but I doubt I'll be good enough for anything other than a little small talk.
Bryan
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

In general, Brits prefer to be surrounded by Brits. And for that reason, many people would prefer a "Costa del Brit" lifestyle, even with the irritations.

It can be said though, that virtually anything "Costa del Brit" will almost certainly carry a substantially higher cost of living than a few km away out in "foreigner land".

We did the "British enclave" thing initially, but found it to be crowded, noisy, difficult to put up with the constant moaning of the neighbours, the need to keep things locked up, and very expensive.

When we made the decision to move out of Britville, they all told us how "isolated" and desolate it would be "out there". Some thought we were raving mad to consider it.

But we found quite the opposite. Better standard of living for a fraction of the cost, very safe, no need to keep everything locked up, there's plenty of resources, shopping, dining, everything you need. And the neighbours are a dream.

It's a lifestyle decision. Try it out before committing "all in".
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone actually define for me what constitutes a British enclave?
I might have to move
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:52 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few here. It's where all the Brits live. The local Eroski carries HP and branston pickle, boddingtons and Carling, you can pay in sterling (at an atrocious exchange rate), and all the bars are modeled like English pubs with names like "the Duke" serving Fish & Chips with mushy peas and roast beef & pud. Also always a token curry place run by a Geordie. Rents and property prices run about 20%-30% higher than anywhere else, you can hear your neighbours snoring and their kids can watch you dress from their bathroom window. And all the doors are double-bolted.

Oh, and always at least one authentic British fast food place like McDonald's or Burger King.

That's the place.

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 20th 2017 at 3:02 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OTA63
Hi everyone.
Thanks
Bryan
Can't agree with this comment:
No area's on the Costa's are "bad" area's Bryan!!! It will depend on what you want from your retirement destination.

Exactly, depending what you want it can be very bad or very nice.
Just because you live in Spain with more sun doesn't mean you can avoid bad things. You will still find rough areas, loud areas, people get mugged etc.

You just have the same challenges or different challenges.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just because you live in Spain with more sun doesn't mean you can avoid bad things. You will still find rough areas, loud areas, people get mugged etc.

You just have the same challenges or different challenges.
Yes, it's not as simple as: British areas=Bad, Spanish areas=Good.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:21 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas
In general, Brits prefer to be surrounded by Brits. And for that reason, many people would prefer a "Costa del Brit" lifestyle, even with the irritations.

It can be said though, that virtually anything "Costa del Brit" will almost certainly carry a substantially higher cost of living than a few km away out in "foreigner land".

We did the "British enclave" thing initially, but found it to be crowded, noisy, difficult to put up with the constant moaning of the neighbours, the need to keep things locked up, and very expensive.

When we made the decision to move out of Britville, they all told us how "isolated" and desolate it would be "out there". Some thought we were raving mad to consider it.

But we found quite the opposite. Better standard of living for a fraction of the cost, very safe, no need to keep everything locked up, there's plenty of resources, shopping, dining, everything you need. And the neighbours are a dream.

It's a lifestyle decision. Try it out before committing "all in".
Great post...we live in the country...nearest brits a long way away..locals are like locals anywhere...some good..some helpful...some will talk..but our cost of living is tiny
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Yes, it's not as simple as: British areas=Bad, Spanish areas=Good.
Exactly and like any other place, the street, the house and exact location can make the difference. You can end up living next to loud/rude people everywhere in Spain, be it coast or countryside (tourists/locals).
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

What do you guys think of Torrevieja or Santa Posa to live in. Is the cost of living just as cheap? Do either of these areas "shut down" out of season?
Thanks
Bryan
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:48 am
Banned

Do you mean Santa Ponsa?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Horses for courses, surely only the individual can decide what area is right for them. Best and only way to really know if an area suits is visit for a while and form own opinion. Advice on areas to try yes ok but to decide to live somewhere on someone elses opinion is not advisable.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Sorry!!! I meant Santa Pola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.