Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

we would like to retire to spain and live there

we would like to retire to spain and live there

Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Andre Poole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we would like to retire to spain and live there

hi....we are uk citizens that would like to retire and live in spain. and would really appreciate any help you can give...i have a few questions and would appreciate any advice you can give also..
1..is there a minimum financial requirement income ..eg...you must have 600 euros per month to live on to be accpeted to live in spain.

2.can we live permanently in spain yet still be british citizens.

3. if our pension meets any minimal financial requirement..can we just simply sell here, buy in spain and thats it..

any replies would be appreaciated ..thank you from Andre and Fiona.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: we would like to retire to spain and live there

we are uk citizens that would like to retire and live in spain
Hi, welcome, are you early retirees or are either/both in receipt of a state pension.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andre Poole
hi....we are uk citizens that would like to retire and live in spain. and would really appreciate any help you can give...i have a few questions and would appreciate any advice you can give also..
1..is there a minimum financial requirement income ..eg...you must have 600 euros per month to live on to be accpeted to live in spain.

3. if our pension meets any minimal financial requirement..can we just simply sell here, buy in spain and thats it..

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

1. Yes there is a financial requirement and the figure you have given seems to be the correct one, but each part of Spain is somewhat different in what it requires.

2. Yes.

£. Yes, however you will have to show you do have healthcare coverage, but, if you are of UK retirement age then getting an S1 form from the DWP, and remember to ensure that BOTH of you are on the form even if only one of you is on state pension as you will ten both be covered by the Spanish health system. If you are not of UK state pension age then you will need some health insurance BUPA and Sanitas have been mentioned as giving good coverage, and they are cheaper than in the UK.

Thees are however subject to what happens after Brexit, but, assuming you are registered as living in Spain before the deadline I really doubt it will make any difference.

Personally I would try renting for a while to ensure that you really like the place before committing to buying.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It really does depend on which area you choose. If you are renting then you will have to prove an amount in the bank similar to what you mention possibly slightly less, per person. Health care is as said however if in the Malaga region then look at Prevision Medica as for very similar cover are substantially cheaper than Sanitas. Just going through this and medical cover now has to be 1 year contract paid in full! Bonus is there is a discount for annual payment. It may well be different in other areas.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have been resident and on the padron for a year you qualify for the Conveno Especial - €60 each per month for access to state healthcare, so the private health insurance will be for just over a year (provided you sign on the padron as soon as you are eligible)

Last edited by KieronF; Oct 5th 2017 at 1:53 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Wow thank you for your quick replies, I will speak this all in and will probably have more questions soon, thank you again.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Also just to add, we are early retirees so will only be in receipt of a private company pension at the moment, does that make any difference as we are not receiving a state pension
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Also just to add, we are early retirees so will only be in receipt of a private company pension at the moment, does that make any difference as we are not receiving a state pension
No you need all as listed above and will have to wait a year to pay for Social Security medical services.

Definitely consider long term rental to start, once "on the ground" your views may change quite dramatically and you will be able to search for alternative locations much more easily
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

For some reason the forum has decided I have just joined which is just not true. I therefore cannot answer your PM Andre even thoug I have been made aware of it.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric030250
For some reason the forum has decided I have just joined which is just not true. I therefore cannot answer your PM Andre even thoug I have been made aware of it.
You need to contact admin to get this sorted.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi lyric 030250, my pm said the minimum required requirement of €600 per month was that before expenditure and taxation or is that amount after expenditure and taxation. do you know
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lyric 030250, my pm said the minimum required requirement of €600 per month was that before expenditure and taxation or is that amount after expenditure and taxation. do you know
Before
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Your biggest decision:- Do we buy a house in Spain? or Do we rent longterm in Spain?

All other decisions follow differing arrows from the above questions.
1. I advise you rent in the off season places you wish to live in Spain.
2. Don't sell your UK home. It's your greatest asset. Rent it out and you can live comfortably in Spain. You'll rent much cheaper in Spain so you could find yourself financially better off than in the UK.
3. Use your experience and common sense in deciding where you wish to live in Spain. Allow room for retreat; nothing wrong in returning to the UK if necessary.
4. Take anything you hear on television regarding holiday homes abroad with a grain of salt. Most of what you hear is as near to lies as makes no difference.
5. Don't get caught-up with minor issues. If you intend moving, then move. I can think of many obstacles that would keep me in Ireland. There is one main reason to settle in Spain i.e. quality of life there.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks leper, that's really good above

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.