Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water problems Monserrat Spain...

Water problems Monserrat Spain...

Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Emmw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water problems Monserrat Spain...

Hello, I have a property in Monserrat and have been having no end of problems with the water and excessive bills from Hidraqua. Fir the period March to June is was charged €580 and June to October €640 and we were not at the property.

I have been trying to get a company out to check whether we have a leak as previously contacted ones have not turned up. Does anyone have a reliable contact that could check for a leak in the area or a contact that could check how our water pipes are all connected. The irrigation system seems to have been connected to the house water supply which could result in s the water tank being pumped into the garden.

Thank you!
Emma
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water problems Monserrat Spain...

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Water problems Monserrat Spain...

Originally Posted by Emmw99
Hello, I have a property in Monserrat and have been having no end of problems with the water and excessive bills from Hidraqua. Fir the period March to June is was charged €580 and June to October €640 and we were not at the property.

I have been trying to get a company out to check whether we have a leak as previously contacted ones have not turned up. Does anyone have a reliable contact that could check for a leak in the area or a contact that could check how our water pipes are all connected. The irrigation system seems to have been connected to the house water supply which could result in s the water tank being pumped into the garden.

Thank you!
Emma
Hi Emma,

We had problems with them in our area before , check to see if your water main is private , we got charged for lost and stolen water before our house meter , the company said we had to pay for lost water as the private water main was not their responsibility.

in the end we had to change company !

Check to see if they have a similar system where you are , or if you think there is a leak on your property try-

looking at the meter while you are not using any water , if it is spinning there is a leak.

Cheers Tony
Old Jun 11th 2015, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Emma,

Which Monserrat? I'm in Mon(t)serrat Valencia. Also supplied by Hidraqua.

You mention the water tank, what is this filled by? Surely whatever you have as a means of deposit (unless rainwater) must be filled by the mains.

If I can be of help let me know
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,
First off I suggest you follow Tonys advice.
Make sure all taps and other water related appliances like washing machines are switched off, then stand by the meter and listen for water running through or see if it is turning.
That will tell you straight away if you have a leak underground which can't be seen.
Also check the taps connected to garden hoses as they are often a bit leaky and water can trickle slowly away without you noticing and build up a sizeable bill.
Maybe you should also check that there isn't an offshoot from your water pipe onto a neighbours property as it has been known to happen.
A lot of the properties around Monserrat Valencia are Valencian weekend homes knocked up on the cheap and a bit like the house that Jack built, though there are a some better ones as well.
The water pipelines feeding the various urbanisations in the area are a nightmare and there's never a day goes by without a few of them have sprung a leak, especially where they run under the roads and tracks.
Very few of them have been laid properly often barely under the surface and sometimes showing above.
Anyway I hope you track down the problem.
Let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Emmw99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your timely responses. VEDShappy, it is Montserrat, Valencia where we have the villa. The tank which supplies the house is filled from the mains, however, it seems the Gardner may have connected the tank to the irrigation system rather than this being supplied by the separate agricultural water supply.

We had a plumber out to change our water pump in October and he thought that there must be a leak as the pimp was coming on to pump water somewhere but all outlets were off and the meter was going up. Our Gardner tried A number of companies to come and diagnose whether there was an underground leak but none of them turned up. Therefore if anyone has a contact I would really appreciate it. Also once leak (if this is the cause) is rectified i also need s plumber to reconnect all pipes appropriately to ensure the garden supply does not empty the house supply.

Tony I'll get our Gardner to follow your guidance, thank you. Tony you are spot on with the "house jack built"! Pipes abd cables galore 😳

Emma
Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,
I would suggest our check the meter yourself first, It's not difficult, just stand beside it with everything switched off and look and listen. It will be very obvious straight away if water is passing through it.
Secondly consider the possibility that the gardener has mistakenly left an irrigation tap running for a couple of days when you have not been there or not been aware fully aware what was happening.
It's an easy thing to do and if the tap is fully open it wouldn't take very long to run up that sort of bill.
Do you have a very large garden by the way with lots of plants in need of regular watering ?
The periods you mention are obviously periods when your garden needs lots of irrigation
I'll pm you in the morning if one of my contacts is available.
Regards, D.D.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jun 11th 2015 at 11:32 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Jun 12th 2015, 1:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could look at your garden and use plants which need less/no watering.

It may be your gardener who is wasting water and/ or

If you have a leak, turn off the main stop cock until you source the leak.