Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visa to Spain-help/suggestions please

Visa to Spain-help/suggestions please

Old Aug 26th 2002, 11:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa to Spain-help/suggestions please

My mom has asked me for some help with a problem & I can't come up with a solution (short of calling the Consulate and begging)
My folks, both US citizens, are traveling in Australia & NZ and shortly after returning to the US will be departing for Spain. They will stay in Spain for an extended period this year, longer than the 90 days they are allowed visa-free. The dilema: How to secure the Spanish visa within a short period of time?
Here's what she wrote to me:

Details: Leaving 11/4 for Australia, returning 12/16 (approx) need the passports with us.

Can take up to six weeks after applying to receive visa. (From Spanish Consulate in San Francisco) Must use visa within 60 days of issue. Must receive visa in person in San Fran. Leaving for Spain approx. last week of December or early January. Seems to me that the dates won't work out. What do you think?

I know many people here need visas for multiple countries and face similar issues. Any advice?
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:57 pm
Patanegra

Default Re: Visa to Spain-help/suggestions please

meauxna wrote:

> Can take up to six weeks after applying to receive visa. (From Spanish Consulate in
    > San Francisco) Must use visa within 60 days of issue. Must receive visa in person
    > in San Fran. Leaving for Spain approx. last week of December or early January.
    > Seems to me that the dates won't work out. What do you think?
    > I know many people here need visas for multiple countries and face similar issues.
    > Any advice?

Never mind. As long as you don't intend to work, I'd say that you can stay in Spain
as long as you want. They only realize that your visa expired when you try to get
out of the country and at that point, they are obliged by law to kick you out of the
country anyway. You may face the risk of being black-listed, so it's up to you.

Anyway, I'm sure you can extend your tourist visa somehow once in Spain. Ask at your
local consulate.

We have thousands of illegal aliens. One more won't make any difference.

-Patanegra

Old Aug 26th 2002, 9:57 pm
Sjoerd

"meauxna" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > My mom has asked me for some help with a problem & I can't come up with a solution
    > (short of calling the Consulate and begging) My folks, both US citizens, are
    > traveling in Australia & NZ and shortly after returning to the US will be departing
    > for Spain. They will stay in Spain for an extended period this year, longer than
    > the 90 days they are allowed visa-free. The dilema: How to secure the Spanish visa
    > within a short period of time? Here's what she wrote to me:
    > Details: Leaving 11/4 for Australia, returning 12/16 (approx) need the passports
    > with us.
    > Can take up to six weeks after applying to receive visa. (From Spanish Consulate in
    > San Francisco) Must use visa within 60 days of issue. Must receive visa in person
    > in San Fran. Leaving for Spain approx. last week of December or early January.
    > Seems to me that the dates won't work out. What do you think?
    > I know many people here need visas for multiple countries and face similar issues.
    > Any advice?

Just don't worry, As long as you don't work, and don't cause trouble and have enough
money, tourists from "rich" countries can stay forever in Schengen (in practice) and
nobody cares.

Sjoerd

Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:32 am
Philip George

In article <[email protected]>, meauxna
<[email protected]> wrote:
    >after returning to the US will be departing for Spain. They will stay in Spain for
    >an extended period this year, longer than the 90 days they are allowed visa-free.
    >The dilema: How to secure the Spanish visa within a short period of time? Can take
    >up to six weeks after applying to receive visa. (From Spanish Consulate in San
    >Francisco) Must use visa within 60 days of issue. Must receive visa in person in San
    >Fran. Leaving for Spain approx. last week of December or early January. Seems to me
    >that the dates won't work out. What do you think?

Unfortunately you have no choice but to apply at the consulate as they suggest. In
practice it doesn't take 6 weeks, more often just a couple of days if they are happy
with the documentation. You could try explaining your situation to the consulate and
that might help to speed up the application.

phil

Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:14 am
Mrtravel

Can they get the visa in Australia?

Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
Can they get the visa in Australia?
Thank you all for your speedy replies and MrT, that's a brilliant thought! Right "out of the box" and logical. Thank you for the fresh perspective.
mo