Valencia!

Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:58 pm
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia!

My husbands employer has decided that we can only work in Valencia or Madrid. (tenerife was our first choice..but they said to much travel I would not be surprised if they changed location again..but we know for certain its Mainland Spain as they have offices in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia)

So mainland Spain it is. No complaints we are employed.

2 year contract.

Purely based on weather we would like to try Valencia. We spent 3 months in Madrid..now we would like to try somewhere else.

We have a 7 and 4 year old. My husband can work from home or library where ever there is solid internet service.

Please help. I remember from our previous topic you guys are great at offering opinions.

Can someone offer up info on Valencia.
Safety? Good, safe areas to live with children? We are in our mid40's disco/clubs are not on our list of priorities..open spaces, parks to play in are

Schools (English speaking)

we will not have a car and would need to rely on the rail or bus.

We will rent an apartment Not be purchasing anything.

Any information you would like to provide would be helpful.

Thank you
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia!

Originally Posted by bostonlady
My husbands employer has decided that we can only work in Valencia or Madrid. (tenerife was our first choice..but they said to much travel I would not be surprised if they changed location again..but we know for certain its Mainland Spain as they have offices in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia)

So mainland Spain it is. No complaints we are employed.

2 year contract.

Purely based on weather we would like to try Valencia. We spent 3 months in Madrid..now we would like to try somewhere else.

We have a 7 and 4 year old. My husband can work from home or library where ever there is solid internet service.

Please help. I remember from our previous topic you guys are great at offering opinions.

Can someone offer up info on Valencia.
Safety? Good, safe areas to live with children? We are in our mid40's disco/clubs are not on our list of priorities..open spaces, parks to play in are

Schools (English speaking)

we will not have a car and would need to rely on the rail or bus.

We will rent an apartment Not be purchasing anything.

Any information you would like to provide would be helpful.

Thank you
I would think your biggest problem is going to be schools. To get English speaking ones you will need a 'British School'. If you don't mind them learning American, then an International school would be OK ().

Either way, you will be looking at several thousands, each, per year! Take a search through this site as International schooling has been discussed many times and you are sure to find details there.

Not having a car will be quite a chore taking children to/from school up to four times a day (unless they stay for (Spanish) school dinners).
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot help with any of your questions but wanted to say that you will love the city. The architecture is magnificent and the old river bed is now a huge parkland area which you will all enjoy.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:22 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

From the times I've visited Valencia I think you're right in assuming the weather is generally better than Madrid - but be warned, the rainstorms in late summer/Autumn can be something else. It is certainly a cheaper place than Madrid as regards accommodation. Main drawback? For me, it's the water, totally undrinkable. You'll have to work out where to buy your tubs of drinking water - make sure you are located close to a shop or supermarket where they sell the big tubs cheaply.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

elfallero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Valencia is a lovely place to live - as I have been doing so for the last 10 years. It indeed has a great climate. Yes there are spectacular rainstorms, but only for a couple of days a year.

Living in Valencia city itself might be noisy and there's not much open space.

Maybe you should look at an outskirt town like La Patacona, Alboraya, Paterna. Study Google maps for transport links.

I'm in Godella, but you would really need a car to live there.

English speaking schools will be problematic. They have long waiting lists and are expensive. Since your kids are only 7/4 they could probably integrate into a local Spanish school within a few weeks.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:35 pm
Needs the SUN

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to scan the past posts on the school.
I did not consider the long waits!

I also did not realize that the water in Valencia was undrinkable!! What about showering, washing your clothes, dishes, etc. What do people do?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I also did not realize that the water in Valencia was undrinkable!! What about showering, washing your clothes, dishes, etc. What do people do?
In Denia ... an hour south, we just buy very large bottles of water for drinking and diluting squashes. Tap water for everything else, including the kettle. Never considered it a problem; it's just part of the weekly shop although I don't live there permanently.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

when we lived in Spain we bought the big 8 litre water bottles for drinking, and used the tap water for everything else, it's not that it's dangerous to drink, just that it tastes absolutely awful.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We are South of Valencia. We use bottled water (€0.50p for 8 lit mineral water) for squash and coffee, but cooking and everything else tap water is fine. In fact I have drunk the tap water, and it doesnt taste that bad here.

The drinking fountains in Escorpion Golf club in Valencia, I drink the water there also, no problem
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

we generally drink bottled water - just over the mountain from Denia, an hourish from Valencia

the tap water is perfectly drinkable health wise - it's actually desalinated & completely clean

it just tastes disgusting - ok for cooking, teeth brushing & mixed with squash though
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We live south of Valencia and inland from Mitzy - we all drink tap water and almost never buy bottled.

The water here is wonderful!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I would look on the valencia metro map and Cercanias local rail routes.
If a short train commute is not a problem I'd consider Cullera or Gandia if you wish to be by the coast.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

There is plenty of information on the web in English about Valencia, Google is your friend.

As for the water, I wouldnt drink the water anywhere and buy bottled but there is no need to worry about carting it around because there are companies that deliver to your door plus the major supermarkets deliver all your groceries and water to your door as well.

There are plenty of associations to join including American Soc. many of which have small kids and who meet for playgroups etc. Maybe you could contact them for more information especially regarding schooling.

There are plenty of open spaces plus the miles of white sandy beach.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:42 pm
Needs the SUN

Originally Posted by elfallero
Hi,

Valencia is a lovely place to live - as I have been doing so for the last 10 years. It indeed has a great climate. Yes there are spectacular rainstorms, but only for a couple of days a year.

Maybe you should look at an outskirt town like La Patacona, Alboraya, Paterna. Study Google maps for transport links.

I'm in Godella, but you would really need a car to live there.

Good luck.
Thank you. We have been conducting Google searches on Alboraya, etc. It does look very pretty.

Google is great, but nothing can beat first hand knowledge from people who are living in Valencia. I appriciate all the info.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We live south of Valencia and inland from Mitzy - we all drink tap water and almost never buy bottled.

The water here is wonderful!
Same for me I always drink the tap water Gandia,Simat.Bocairente all fine if it tastes naff it might be your pipework

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.