Reload this Page >

Unemployment Benefit

Unemployment Benefit

Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

SecretMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unemployment Benefit

Hello,

I've been recently alterted that my contract ends at the end of the year and will not be renewed. In the mean time, I am searching for a job. However, given my current area of work, jobs in Barcelona are not common and thus there is a chance I will be jobless in the new year.

As a result, I was inquiring with regards to "Paro" and how it works in Spain. I will have been paying tax in Spain for roughly 12 months at the time of my becoming employed. What do I need to claim Paro? Generally how much will I receive and for how long? And importantly, once I have found new employment, how do I about cancelling it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of clear instructions regarding this online.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment Benefit

In was lead to believe that 12 months was too short a time for you to claim paro. I thought you needed to have worked for at least 3 years, but I stand to be corrected.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
In was lead to believe that 12 months was too short a time for you to claim paro. I thought you needed to have worked for at least 3 years, but I stand to be corrected.
The minimum requirement is 1 year. If you've worked less than a year it's possible to get Subsidio por Desempleo but that would be very little. Paro Amount would depend on salary. If not enough contributions made and you qualify for Subsidio por Desempleo I believe it's 426€ but only max 6 months and after that nothing.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 6th 2017 at 12:00 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you visit your INSS office and they will explain all.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unemployment Benefit

Originally Posted by SecretMachine
Hello,

I've been recently alterted that my contract ends at the end of the year and will not be renewed. In the mean time, I am searching for a job. However, given my current area of work, jobs in Barcelona are not common and thus there is a chance I will be jobless in the new year.

As a result, I was inquiring with regards to "Paro" and how it works in Spain. I will have been paying tax in Spain for roughly 12 months at the time of my becoming employed. What do I need to claim Paro? Generally how much will I receive and for how long? And importantly, once I have found new employment, how do I about cancelling it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of clear instructions regarding this online.
My wife worked for herself for one year and then became unemployed. She claimed unemployment benefit which was a fraction of her monthly income and was paid for 6 months. They did try to find alternative employment for her which was very good.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

So what happens after 6 months? Is there no Social Security back up?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
No nothing...its not like the UK where it is possible to live on benefit for years.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
No nothing...its not like the UK where it is possible to live on benefit for years.
Which is how it should be.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
You just hope that you can find some sort of job and if not pray that your family can help.