Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV licence in Spain

TV licence in Spain

Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default TV licence in Spain

Hi to everyone,

A couple of questions that a few members may be able to help with.

Do you need a television licence in Spain and are free to air digi boxes available as in the UK,

Thanks in Advance, Paul
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TV licence in Spain

Hi Paul,
I have not heard of TV Licences here in Spain I have been here for just over two and a half years and not heard of one needing one.
As for digi boxes if you want ot get Spanish TV you can buy a Spanish system for viewing Spanish services, if you want British TV you will have to bring over a Brit system although you can buy the Brit ones over from the many advertisers in the Costa Blanca News.

Costa Blanca News

You will find a load of information here.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hi Paul,
I have not heard of TV Licences here in Spain I have been here for just over two and a half years and not heard of one needing one.
As for digi boxes if you want ot get Spanish TV you can buy a Spanish system for viewing Spanish services, if you want British TV you will have to bring over a Brit system although you can buy the Brit ones over from the many advertisers in the Costa Blanca News.

Costa Blanca News

You will find a load of information here.

Thanks for that countryboy, i was thinking of Spanish TV i read on one of the posts on here that anologue tv in spain was pretty dismal, as you can get free to air digi boxes in the UK for as little as £35 i thought i would get a spanish version if they were available the UK version gives you 40 or so channels free, although we have sky and may use our card in spain if we set up a sat system, not sure what size dish i'd need that far south. While im on the subject of TV's etc do ALDI in spain sell electrical goods as in the UK, i noticed a store not far from our house, as they have dvd players etc for £29 here etc.

cheers Paul
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

If I knew what area you are moving to I could be more help, Are you on the coast, Inland, far south Spain?

I live in a town called Sax* which is about 35 miles west of Alicante, I only have a 1.2m dish and can get sky, I get about 10 Spanish channels (terss) most of them are not too bad but I do like to watch the Spanish news service.

*SAX
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

You could also look at this forum on this thread.

Sky TV in Spain

It might give you a bit more information about TV here in Spain
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by countryboy
You could also look at this forum on this thread.

Sky TV in Spain

It might give you a bit more information about TV here in Spain

Thanks countryboy, we are near Blanca, Murcia, ive found a few electrical sites Kelco es etc and they sell free to air terrestrial digitiol and sat digitol. Not to fussed at the moment for UK tv programmes ive noticed that free to air spanish sat dishes pick up sky news and cnn. I'm assuming that UK region DVD's play in a Spanish aquired DVD player, so ill bring a pile over and buy Spanish equipment. My original idea was to buy a tv in spain we have a huge terrestrial arial on the roof and just add a plug in digi box for added channels as a start point, not so sure we will get a digital signal on terrestrial where we are so may be a sat job later.

thanks Paul
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a place in Costa de la Luz and asked our agent the same question about if we needed a TV Licence, first she laughed and then looked confused and asked what a TV Licence was (she is Spanish). I think your answer is no, you don't need one. You can buy a TV and plug it in and voila - you have tv (it may be bad tv but hey it is free).