Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for part-timers?

Travel insurance for part-timers?

Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance for part-timers?

We twice a year we spend 3 months at our home in Spain (generally spring and autumn). We're going out again at the beginning of March. Last year I had multi-trip travel insurance which covered individual trips of up to 183 days, but they've just told me that don't do that policy any more. I'm finding it difficult finding any insurer doing multi-trip insurance which covers individual trips of more than one month.

I'm really only interested in the health aspect of the insurance, in case of something catastrophic that would require repatriation - all travel policies include cancellation, loss of baggage etc but we're not really bothered about that.

Is there anyone out there in the same position as us? What do you do about travel (health) insurance? Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for part-timers?

Should have added we are 62 and 67 this year.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=FranE;12189019]Should have added we are 62 and 67 this year.[/QUOTE

Be careful with ones that say they can be extended say from 60 to 90 days or so. I have an annual policy which covers unlimited trips for stays of up to 60 days. Last trip I realised I was about 5 days over 90 they stung me for £60 to cover extra days.
I now ensure I don't go over. To be honest I think travel insurance costs could become a consequence of Brexit, should the EHIC go? Most travel insurance for Europe state you must possess an EHIC no doubt to try and reduce treatment costs. So if it goes stand by for dearer travel insurance?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob. We would never travel without our NHICs. I have on one occasion only (3 years ago) had to go to the local hospital to get some medication for an existing condition that flared up unexpectedly. NHIC photocopied, saw doctor within minutes, prescription handed over and the cost of the meds was extremely reasonable. However, we wouldn't travel without also having more comprehensive insurance to cover eg an air ambulance home if necessary.

I fully expect the EHIC will be a thing of the past post-Brexit, so we're expecting that our insurance costs WILL go up.

I can currently get single trip insurance for our 3 month stays, it's just such a fag to have to arrange it twice a year, instead of just the once (I know, I'm such a princess!)

Just wondered what other part-timers like us do about long(er) stay insurance?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FranE
Thanks Bob. We would never travel without our NHICs. I have on one occasion only (3 years ago) had to go to the local hospital to get some medication for an existing condition that flared up unexpectedly. NHIC photocopied, saw doctor within minutes, prescription handed over and the cost of the meds was extremely reasonable. However, we wouldn't travel without also having more comprehensive insurance to cover eg an air ambulance home if necessary.

I fully expect the EHIC will be a thing of the past post-Brexit, so we're expecting that our insurance costs WILL go up.

I can currently get single trip insurance for our 3 month stays, it's just such a fag to have to arrange it twice a year, instead of just the once (I know, I'm such a princess!)

Just wondered what other part-timers like us do about long(er) stay insurance?
Here are some options that may help?

Top 10 90 Day Travel Insurance - Cheap Long Trip Cover
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Bob. I've looked through a few of those suggestions but as soon as I entered my current age (66), the max length per trip goes right down! Most only cover 1 month, and the longest was 50-odd days. It seems that age 65 is the cut off for multi-trip extended stay insurance, so we've gone for single trip to cover our next sojourn, and accept that that's how it will have to be in future.

But one of the companies on there was quoting much less than anything else we've seen so far, so thanks!

Well, this seemed like an unfathomable mine-field (apologies for mixed metaphore) this morning, but it all makes sense now. Cheers Bob
Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me go check our annual insurance. And indeed, when I turn 66 later this year the maximum length of cover drops to 31 days. Will have to shop around and see if we can find something a bit longer. Don't need 90 days but 60 would be useful.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have just double checked mine as a precaution. My insurance being retired cop is through police federation. It covers me and wife up to age 70 for 180 days worldwide travel with unlimited number of trips maximum single trip length 60 days. I also get full life cover for both of us worldwide and it covers any car I own or use for comprehensive breakdown and recovery including home start. Mind about the only perk I get lol costs £33 per month for the 2 of us.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Good luck with that! Hubby and I have wasted two days of our lives trying to sort this out! Bob's list was useful but although they SAY eg "single trip cover up to 100 days" it's a different story when you actually fill out their questionnaire for a quote. It's only then that they list what's actually included, including (in most cases) the max length of stay. BUT ONE OF THEM DIDN'T and I had to actually download the full policy wording (I used to be a lawyer, comes in handy sometimes!) and go through the small print to find the actual length of stay for each age group.

There doesn't seem to be any way round this and that's what takes the time - filling out all the details (including medical details) every single time, in order to find out what length of stay is covered.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good luck with that! Hubby and I have wasted two days of our lives trying to sort this out! Bob's list was useful but although they SAY eg "single trip cover up to 100 days" it's a different story when you actually fill out their questionnaire for a quote. It's only then that they list what's actually included, including (in most cases) the max length of stay. BUT ONE OF THEM DIDN'T and I had to actually download the full policy wording (I used to be a lawyer, comes in handy sometimes!) and go through the small print to find the actual length of stay for each age group.

There doesn't seem to be any way round this and that's what takes the time - filling out all the details (including medical details) every single time, in order to find out what length of stay is covered.
Sorry about that Fran. Very annoying when the details are hidden away. I just wonder how many over 65 part timers in Spain simply just chance using the EHIC? If that goes which could be a good possibility then visiting our holiday homes is going to become more difficult and expensive, another likely consequence of Brexit. Of course we are just collateral damage in this mess. Good luck anyway I hope you find something suitable.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

I did Bob - I went with one of the companies on the link you gave me, but had to go for single trip. I'm grateful for your comments and help.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did Bob - I went with one of the companies on the link you gave me, but had to go for single trip. I'm grateful for your comments and help.
Glad the link was of some use.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:53 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

I've been looking for the same thing for some time. This company https://www.cignainsure.co.uk/travel...avel-insurance looks to offer 90 day annual multi trip insurance for all ages. I've looked through the online policy and can't see any exclusions but they often hide them quite well!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by YMF
I've been looking for the same thing for some time. This company https://www.cignainsure.co.uk/travel...avel-insurance looks to offer 90 day annual multi trip insurance for all ages. I've looked through the online policy and can't see any exclusions but they often hide them quite well!
YMF 2 clauses I can find firstly the medical
Only cover (which includes repatriation) is only available to those up to age 60 per their key facts.

Annual Multi trip insurance is available up to age 80 however single trip is limited to 31 days with option to extend to 60 or 90. No doubt at significant cost?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:49 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

The cost was not as expensive as I thought it might be. I got a quote for an annual multi trip policy for a couple, one age 65 the other 63 and was quoted £183 for trips of up to 90 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.