Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transfer Euros out of Spain

Transfer Euros out of Spain

Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:07 am
Just Joined

RobP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfer Euros out of Spain

I use OFX for buying and transferring Australian Dollars with GBP and get better rates than the bank of course.

Just a point to consider
I have no knowledge yet of the bank guarantees in Spain but in the UK, a single account is guaranteed at GBP80,000. Most Forex companies don't/can't give this cover. Very unlikely that they would go bust, as they have little real time exposure. But in 2008 I did stop using them for buying/transferring large amounts of USD, due to all the uncertainty.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
I take it that you are a resident here in Spain, unfortunately my friends are not and they have a non res bank account, hence the transfer fees.
No, we are not residents. We have the online account at BBVA.

If the issue is transferring euros to a bank account outside Spain, did they try Currencies Direct? If I recall correctly, they have a euro account in Spain.

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Jan 17th 2018 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:06 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobP
... Very unlikely that they would go bust, as they have little real time exposure....
Some of you may recall Crown Currency Exchange did go into administration in 2010 ?
over 13,000 overseas cash traders and holidaymakers have been left fearing for their money after a major currency firm went into administration today
Crown Currency Exchange

Last edited by missile; Jan 18th 2018 at 4:08 pm.