Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Train development news

Train development news

Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:24 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train development news

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The same people that were awarded the new road & tunnel contract to cross the airport in Gibraltar.

They are supposed to have claimed the tunnel was beyond their capabilities and walked out leaving a rather large hole at the end of the runway. This happened very shortly before the Saudi contract was announced

The New People can now confirm that the information reaching us last week, that OHL, the
Spanish company that was awarded the construction of the underpass across the runway has
abandoned the site, is true. We have tried to contact the company in an effort to get them to
comment on the matter but OHL has not replied to our internet requests nor have they answered
the telephone numbers available to us.
If they do that with the E. Europeans and the Arabs some of the Directors may be found with a bullet in the head
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
banging my head here It's not exactly about the AVE. I was just saying that there are AVE trains going nowhere that anyone wants to go but the Costa del Sol doesn't even have a railway after Fuengirola...it is trackless, not even a slow train. The CDS is a big tourist area, there is virtually no way to get around unless car hire is used, as the article says people find it difficult to get to work, the bus system is crap...I am giving up the will to live here.

What I am saying is what is the point of the AVE from Madrid to Málaga when there is no feeder service to the rest of the coast after Fuengirola. It is all explained in the article anyway. THE RESIDENTS ON THE CDS DON'T CARE ABOUT THE AVE, THEY WOULD JUST LIKE A RAIL NETWORK even a slow one!
I agree that the Ave needs feeder services. But the idea that "no one wants it" just isn't borne out by my experience. I took a Seville to Barcelona trip a couple of weeks ago and every seat was taken for at least part of the journey. (It stopped at Cordoba and Zaragoza). There were about 10 carriages and I think the service runs twice a day. Yes it cost about 200 quid return each. But what with messing about at airports, extra charges for the weight I needed to take and not having to take long distance taxis/shuttles etc. It was around the same time and similar cost because the flights were expensive at that date. I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. If they could just get the price down a bit I'd use it for preference every time!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Train development news

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I agree that the Ave needs feeder services. But the idea that "no one wants it" just isn't borne out by my experience. I took a Seville to Barcelona trip a couple of weeks ago and every seat was taken for at least part of the journey. (It stopped at Cordoba and Zaragoza). There were about 10 carriages and I think the service runs twice a day. Yes it cost about 200 quid return each. But what with messing about at airports, extra charges for the weight I needed to take and not having to take long distance taxis/shuttles etc. It was around the same time and similar cost because the flights were expensive at that date. I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. If they could just get the price down a bit I'd use it for preference every time!
You can get the price down if you are of pensionable age by paying €5 for the gold railcard at any station (we got one in Huelva last week).

You can then use this card to book online and seats are released 62 days before the travel date. If you can plan in advance and you are apappropriatelyld you can take the AVE at very reasonable cost. Up to 60% in some cases.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
You can get the price down if you are of pensionable age by paying €5 for the gold railcard at any station (we got one in Huelva last week).

You can then use this card to book online and seats are released 62 days before the travel date. If you can plan in advance and you are apappropriatelyld you can take the AVE at very reasonable cost. Up to 60% in some cases.
Thanks guys but unfortunately...(or indeed fortunately) I'm not old enough yet. Anyone know of any other discounts that work and how to apply for them? I've seen certain cards but am frankly confused. and I speak some Spanish!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
apappropriatelyld
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Train development news

Originally Posted by jimenato
Appropriately old.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is a strange story (article in Spanish). The Aragon govt is purchasing the station at Canfranc with a view to restoring it. It's been out of service for many years, and the last international service stopped in 1970. Wonder what they can do with it?

http://treneando.com/2012/04/01/el-g...-recuperacion/

Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

my immediate thought is...........
clean it up and bring back into operation

however, I am sure there is someone somewhere who will have the bright idea of turning it into an armadillo and pretending it is retro

Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The Spanish have introduced something on their trains, that allows them to use different gauge track. An interesting video on it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nGn0o_wFsGI

They are now putting trains that use this dual system on longer lines that don't have all the way as fast track eg the route from Madrid to Galicia.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_32033.shtml
It is not something new. This technology is from Talgo, and has many decades

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 6th 2012 at 12:48 am.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

I think the high speed is interesting. They are long-term benefits, but I think things are not doing very well, because are removing some trains that are not high speed but are very fast (180-200 km / h or more) and cheaper, and are leaving many small populations without train. We did not have enough with the current high-speed train models, now the companies Talgo and CAF have made two models more, Talgo Avril

and CAF Oaris

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 6th 2012 at 12:50 am.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Read recently a report, "A Train Going Nowhere" about Portugal´s decision to pull out of the planned AVE Madrid-Lisbon line. It will now end in Badajoz. Portugal, like Spain, is broke and have decided it would be too expensive and not profitable, so have abandoned the idea. Spain, despite having only completed 15% of the line, will plough on regardless, guess they reckon Badajoz will be a real money spinner for them.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:01 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a shame that the Lisbon to Madrid high speed line won't be built. Where you do get major cities linked together eg Madrid-Barcelona or Madrid-Valencia the services are well-used with millions of passengers. I suppose Portugal didn't fancy hordes of Madrilenos descending on Lisbon at weekends and holidays! If they do build the first stage to Badajoz (and there's a difference between keeping plans open and actually constructing the line and stations) at least the overall journey will be a lot quicker, and the fast train can utilise the gauge changing technology once it approaches Portugal.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

A pity the UK doesnt follow Portugal's lead and cancel HS2 - too much money for no gain
it will be obsolete before its finished just like warships and jet fighters
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Domino
A pity the UK doesnt follow Portugal's lead and cancel HS2 - too much money for no gain
it will be obsolete before its finished just like warships and jet fighters
I think there are associated developments planned that make HS2 more economically attractive (but not to the conservation crowd). I believe they want to build a "new city" in between Birmigham and Coventry, and the new fast line makes this more attractive (or so they say, not sure to whom ). Also a lot of industry leaders are panicking that London's airports can't cope, so some are saying Brimingham's airport can act as overspill for Heathrow, with the high speed rail link. It's hard to work out though what is actually going to happen - there's been a lot of talk of Boris Island (a new airport in the Thames estuary) but I can't see that happening as it will take 30-50 years to come to fruition.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:48 am

Boris Island is a fanciful dream
Southend is already there and has supporting infrastructure

As to a "new city" well that is also a fanciful dream - too many vested interests will stop that.

can see no need for the HS2 to gain 5-9 mins on a journey, leaving out all the other stations on the way who will be left with their little stoppers but no money for improvement of their infrastructure

Bham needs to be added to the London list - it already has as good as Stansted for infrastructure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.