Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Train development news

Train development news

Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:20 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Train development news

Over the next few months it looks likely there will be major developments in the train network (especially high speed train links). so I thought I'd start a thread here, so anyone travelling within (and without) Spain can know the new options.
First one is a link I've published before - it will mean next year we'll be able to travel on high speed train from London St Pancras, through France, and onto the Spanish system down to Malaga (via Madrid). Eventually the service is meant to go all the way to Algeciras. Whether or not anyone will be able to afford the fares is another matter of course - but the 2.9 million passengers expected on the Figueres-Barcelona link will mean that at least that section will be well-used.

http://ave-renfe.edreams.es/ave-barc...ave-en-girona/

Este tramo del AVE que conectará Barcelona y la localidad gerundense de Figueres, una de las zonas más turísticas de Cataluña, se estima que será utilizado por un total de 2,9 millones de viajeros a lo largo del 2012.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:31 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train development news

There's a new rail link to Barajas Terminal 4 from Madrid, so should be very convenient for AVE travellers who are connecting with the airport.

http://www.adn.es/local/madrid/20110...EROPUERTO.html

The long journey north to Galicia should be somewhat quicker next year, with the introduction of hybrid electricity/diesel trains, that can operate on both high speed track, and the existing Spanish gauge tracks.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_32033.shtml

The journey from Madrid to La Corunna, which currently takes 7 hours 48 minutes, will take 6 hours 30 minutes from the 10th of December. The ultimate aim is to get this journey down to under 3 hours, when all new lines are in place - but that supposes that all the new high speed lines are built. Already the line to Lisbon from Madrid has been cancelled by the Portuguese authorities.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:47 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile the málaga metro has been delayed until 2013. Think they have run out of money.

http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerjanews/...ed-until-2013/

The planned extention of the coastal railway from Fuengirola to Estepona which was due to start about 5 years ago has never got off the ground.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Meanwhile the málaga metro has been delayed until 2013. Think they have run out of money.

http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerjanews/...ed-until-2013/

The planned extention of the coastal railway from Fuengirola to Estepona which was due to start about 5 years ago has never got off the ground.
Is Malaga the only city of its size in Spain without a metro system (it's the sixth largest city iirc) ? Places like Seville and Valencia now have their metro systems, and of course both Madrid and Barcelona have long had a metro (but extensively expanded in recent years)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen the route of the Gandia - Oliva extension, they have even got the site for the station earmarked, but I am not holding my breath.

Looks as though the road by-pass is going ahead.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:43 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be amazed to see an AVE in Algeciras. The route from Ronda down the Guadiaro valley is tortuous to say the least.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:05 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jimenato
I'd be amazed to see an AVE in Algeciras. The route from Ronda down the Guadiaro valley is tortuous to say the least.
This article goes into this question. Although I get the feeling that any lines due to be built after 2012, may get the postponement treatment.

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...8/lets-ave-it/

In Ronda some locals tell me with confidence that AVE trains will never come to the town or pass beyond to Algeciras.

And they are right. They will not come to the town, but instead will come to the small hamlet of La Indiana in the valley below, where a brand new train station will be built.

It will be almost half way along a 72km double-track route between Algeciras and Antequera and in 2008 an environmental impact study was undertaken by two companies.

Labelled Proyecto 776, the only map ever produced was a rough sketch displayed by the Ministerio de Fomento to announce it at a press conference two years ago.

Going by this map it will go through Almargen, Alcala del Valle, Setenil and through El Llano de la Cruz, the valley where I live.

It does make geographical sense and many AVE stations are built on the outskirts such as at Segovia, for obvious reasons.

It is rumoured that the decided route will be made public in January, 2010, with the completion of the works by around 2016.

AVE routes require wide radius corners and shallow gradients, as well as measures to reduce noise and other environmental impacts.

The most severe gradients are about 3.5 per cent, so for the new route a tunnel would be required under a large part of my valley near Ronda.

This is good news as tunnels have the advantage of reducing land purchase costs and minimising environmental impacts, provided they don´t hit aquifers, as they did near Valle de Abdalajis.

My guess is that it will actually avoid my valley altogether and go into the next one, Ronda la Vieja, via a tunnel through the Sierra de Salinas. We shall have to wait and see.

Anyone suggesting that the rail route south from Ronda through Cortes is too difficult to upgrade to medium-speed AVE standards should consider the present construction of the 350 kmh rail route between Barcelona and Perpignan through the Pyrenees.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Is Malaga the only city of its size in Spain without a metro system (it's the sixth largest city iirc) ? Places like Seville and Valencia now have their metro systems, and of course both Madrid and Barcelona have long had a metro (but extensively expanded in recent years)
so long as they don't muck about with the journey from Bus\Rail Station at Maria Zambrano to the Airport I don't mind
a really clean, good service, just needs a few more trains on to reduce the times between trains and cost effective.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so long as they don't muck about with the journey from Bus\Rail Station at Maria Zambrano to the Airport I don't mind
a really clean, good service, just needs a few more trains on to reduce the times between trains and cost effective.
The frequency of the trains increased recently to every 20 minutes, I agree it is a good service.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

But it makes for an interesting trip, sightseeing.
As I said in May Algeciras to Madrid return for two ~€113 which I think is value for money.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have seen the route of the Gandia - Oliva extension, they have even got the site for the station earmarked, but I am not holding my breath.

Looks as though the road by-pass is going ahead.
Did you see this online? - I can't find anything about it

cheers

julie
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules63
Did you see this online? - I can't find anything about it

cheers

julie
The rail line is shown here:

http://www.oliva.es/files/000001172_...erritorial.pdf

and the road info here:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autov%C3%ADa_A-38
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
But it makes for an interesting trip, sightseeing.
As I said in May Algeciras to Madrid return for two ~€113 which I think is value for money.
Great trip isn't it? We'll go somewhere up there tomorrow - possibly up to Benaohan and walk back down the bank of the Guadiaro to Jimera de Libar to catch the train back 4 hours (and several beers) later.

The track is an engineering feat anyway. To upgrade it to AVE standard would take some doing.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip isn't it? We'll go somewhere up there tomorrow - possibly up to Benaohan and walk back down the bank of the Guadiaro to Jimera de Libar to catch the train back 4 hours (and several beers) later.

The track is an engineering feat anyway. To upgrade it to AVE standard would take some doing.
British built track and stations.

A good trip is to take the train and have lunch in Benaojan and then catch the train back

http://www.molinodelsanto.com/uk/index.php
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
British built track and stations.

A good trip is to take the train and have lunch in Benaojan and then catch the train back

http://www.molinodelsanto.com/uk/index.php
Agree, nice place. Not much else of any note down there by the station at Benaoján. Molino del Santo was started years ago by two Brit schoolteachers, I think they still own it but have a much more hands off approach now leaving the main running to their manager and his excellent team.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.