Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of a move to Spain any advice please

Thinking of a move to Spain any advice please

Old May 5th 2017, 10:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Spain any advice please

Originally Posted by Apple1
i have just gone trough a bad breakup you see so i dont know if im thinking logicail maybe i should ease of and think about things more clear before i jump in
You have made a sensible start by joining the forum and asking questions so continue with your research and when you have loads of details to hand weigh up the pros and cons and then make an intelligent informed decision.

Unfortunately there are a lot of unemployed Spanish people so this will limit the opportunities available to anyone moving over so it can be quite risky on the other hand some people take a chance and fall into something quickly.

Good luck with whatever happens in the future.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2017, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple1
aww i see thank you ... im wondering what kind of work i should look for i mean ill have no overheads at all only desiel costs because ill be living in my 4x4 until i feel settled and wanting to commit to a rental scary i know i dont know if im crazy for doing this. im thinking warm sun sea baths bbq meals sounds fun. but really am i using common sense here or just living wild ?
It sounds more like a small adventure holiday you need to recover from your breakup. Spain has regulations like any other country and day to day living is not just sun & bbqs all day unfortunately.
Old May 5th 2017, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Apple1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys and girls ... your advice is importent thank you
Old May 5th 2017, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody wants to put a dampener on your plans, unfortunately it is the day to day realities that force us to take stock sometimes. Your first problem would be access to healthcare - your EHIC card will only get you so far, and only for so long before you need to pay for private health insurance and without a fixed, permanent address it is unlikely that anyone will cover you. Also, the longer it takes before you settle enough to register in one particular area, the longer it will be before you qualify to 'buy-in' to the Spanish healthcare system and do away with insurance costs. General work is hard to come by, many Spanish workers leave their family and homes for the Summer in pursuit of seasonal work - so don't expect it to be easy to find a job - especially if you don't speak Spanish.

My advice - take the truck and give yourself a long road-trip to experience Europe and see what life might be like away from home. You never know you might just stumble onto a way of life that suits in the here and now or, at the very least, it will give you a better insight into what part of Spain/ Europe you might like to make home.

Last edited by KieronF; May 5th 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old May 6th 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Why give up your successfull business to live in the back of your vechile in a country with mass unemployment you dont know, dont speak the lingo, have no income and just hope you will find a job ?

Actually you may well succeed.... In my experience those that come with little, live out of the back of a van, are willing to integrate with the right people, often succeed.

If you really want to try it I second Kierons advice.

Best of luck

Originally Posted by KieronF

My advice - take the truck and give yourself a long road-trip to experience Europe and see what life might be like away from home. You never know you might just stumble onto a way of life that suits in the here and now or, at the very least, it will give you a better insight into what part of Spain/ Europe you might like to make home.
Old May 13th 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Its very unlikely you will find any kind of work even if you speak fluent Spanish, ever thought of having the winter in Spain relaxing and working in the UK for the summer months? much more feasible if you have no ties.
Old May 15th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Apple.
Sounds like you just need an adventure. Why not give yourself half of your savings and see how long you can live off that then go home and plan your new life? Wherever that may turn out to be. Best wishes.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Tuds is an unknown quantity at this point

Take time to think about your options - don't give up a successful business on the back of a bad break up. Travel, explore, heal and whatever you need to do to get over things. Go to Spain and see the reality of what is available and what it would take to have a good life there. Whatever you decide - good luck!
Old May 24th 2017, 8:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuds
Take time to think about your options - don't give up a successful business on the back of a bad break up. Travel, explore, heal and whatever you need to do to get over things. Go to Spain and see the reality of what is available and what it would take to have a good life there. Whatever you decide - good luck!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary