Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Originally Posted by bobd22
Very sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your cousin, I didn't wish to make my comment personal.
My point was yes I agree a very large number of people are killed every day accidentally fact. But these are accidents (I do not include those that drink and drive and kill as they made a conscious decision as to drink and amount they drank). If people break the law then the justice system is supposed to sentence accordingly sometimes good sentencing does give some little comfort to families at least seeing some form of justice done. Terrorism is different to accidents as it is willfull more often than not killing i.e. murder pre planned, it does not just include civilian victims but police Military etc, how many police/military died dealing with IRA terrorism? I do not say overstate the threat to the public but they do need to be aware of risk and areas etc more at risk, it is then down to them without over reaction say what events areas they attend, everyone will have their own measure of risk to themselves or their family. I do see your point that over reaction by the media does fuel the terrorists warped case. But authorities and to some extent media have a responsibility to make the public aware of increased risk to their safety.
Or perhaps media has a responsibility to focus more on what additional measures can be taken to address the terrorist risk.

What I find amazing is the reaction seems to now be acceptance that nothing can be done. I wonder at what level of terrorism will be necessary for stronger actions to be taken to reduce the terrorism risk.

These terrorists are influenced by their religion and culture, and for every one who acts on "radical" influence, how many are sympathetic to such "radical" influence. Looking at Iran and Saudi Arabia I wonder whether what is called radical is really that radical for the Muslim world.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Or perhaps media has a responsibility to focus more on what additional measures can be taken to address the terrorist risk.

What I find amazing is the reaction seems to now be acceptance that nothing can be done. I wonder at what level of terrorism will be necessary for stronger actions to be taken to reduce the terrorism risk.

These terrorists are influenced by their religion and culture, and for every one who acts on "radical" influence, how many are sympathetic to such "radical" influence. Looking at Iran and Saudi Arabia I wonder whether what is called radical is really that radical for the Muslim world.
Get it right, these terrorists are influenced by a distorted version of their religion and culture exactly in the same way as the terrorist who drove a car in Charlottesville and his fellow gun carrying anti Semites, anti black anti Muslims who claim to be Christians.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Get it right, these terrorists are influenced by a distorted version of their religion and culture exactly in the same way as the terrorist who drove a car in Charlottesville and his fellow gun carrying anti Semites, anti black anti Muslims who claim to be Christians.
Totally agree. Also do not forget that when you give a 'nobody' a Ak 47, a bomb, a knife, a machete or a two tonne vehicle with the brief to have the power to kill or maim, in their twisted world they are elevated to Gods in their eyes. Like I said, thousands of ignorant 'people' can be swayed by one intelligent person. Two good reasons why terrorism will never go away. Sickening and perverse human nature, seen it.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Get what right ? These terrorist incidents over the last few years show there is a problem with radical Islamic terrorists , and my question is how many of these attacks are necessary until stronger action is taken ?

How does the actions in Charlottesville negate the threat the Islamic terrorists pose throughout Europe ?

Last edited by morpeth; Aug 20th 2017 at 1:51 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Get what right ? These terrorist incidents over the last few years show there is a problem with radical Islamic terrorists , and my question is how many of these attacks are necessary until stronger action is taken ?

How does the actions in Charlottesville negate the threat the Islamic terrorists pose throughout Europe ?
Terrorism where ever it occurs it's who ever responsible there is no place for it in today's world
There is no difference between a radical Islamist or a Nazi flag carrying white supremacist.

What is your solution to the growing extremes in the world.

It's crying out for an answer.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I daresay the solutions to extremist/terrorist attacks are out there. I don't know what they are but I fear they will be Draconian enough to have everyone throwing up their arms and screaming about human rights.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The solution to this one was being shot and killed by police; they say they got him.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Terrorism where ever it occurs it's who ever responsible there is no place for it in today's world
There is no difference between a radical Islamist or a Nazi flag carrying white supremacist.

What is your solution to the growing extremes in the world.

It's crying out for an answer.
Just curious what the white supremacist had to do with the attack in Barcelona.

Solution is stronger security measures including stronger border control measures, deportations, more police, more intelligence budgets, etc etc. And re-evaluation of political and military strategy in the Middle East. Maybe compulsory viewing of Lawrence of Arabia by political decision-makers in the West.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:14 pm
EMR
Banned

Just curious what the white supremacist had to do with the attack in Barcelona.

Solution is stronger security measures including stronger border control measures, deportations, more police, more intelligence budgets, etc etc. And re-evaluation of political and military strategy in the Middle East. Maybe compulsory viewing of Lawrence of Arabia by political decision-makers in the West.
A terrorist act is a terrorist act .
It was only good fortune that resulted in only one death in Charlottesville instead of 10, 12 ,15.
None of your suggestions will make a jot of difference
Border controls may stop people getting in but not those already living with us or born in our countries.
More police , to do what, turn us into police state,
What would they do stop every car, van being driven by someone with a dark complexion.
All that would do would be to encourage more division.
Intelligence budgets, already being done.
Watching films from the 60,s, really ?

At least you did not say, " something must be done "
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
A terrorist act is a terrorist act .
It was only good fortune that resulted in only one death in Charlottesville instead of 10, 12 ,15.
None of your suggestions will make a jot of difference
Border controls may stop people getting in but not those already living with us or born in our countries.
More police , to do what, turn us into police state,
What would they do stop every car, van being driven by someone with a dark complexion.
All that would do would be to encourage more division.
Intelligence budgets, already being done.
Watching films from the 60,s, really ?

At least you did not say, " something must be done "
Actually all of my suggestions will make a difference, how much may be debatable. For example border controls and stricter limitations will reduce potential threats, I don't know what could be more obvious.

Unless one accepts the situation of recent years as acceptable, following the same level of security will just led to more and perhaps increasing terrorist incidents.

Why not more police if necessary to protect the innocents ?
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 3:15 pm
EMR
Banned

Actually all of my suggestions will make a difference, how much may be debatable. For example border controls and stricter limitations will reduce potential threats, I don't know what could be more obvious.
Unless one accepts the situation of recent years as acceptable, following the same level of security will just led to more and perhaps increasing terrorist incidents.

Why not more police if necessary to protect the innocents .

What is happening is not acceptable just enivitable.
I man in a car, I man walking down the street with a knife, terrorist or not.
How would you stop them ?

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 22nd 2017 at 4:21 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I do notice that the Spanish newspapers are questioning why no-one thought it strange that someone should have dozens of bottles of gas and in fact are more people involved who kept quiet??
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR

Why not more police if necessary to protect the innocents .

What is happening is not acceptable just enivitable.
I man in a car, I man walking down the street with a knife, terrorist or not.
How would you stop them ?
Certainly not inevitable unless the current situation continues to be followed. Why not increase security ? Greater border control and vetting of people coming into country ? Attacking extremist clerics and deporting them or restricting their ability to preach hate. And yes more police. Yes none of these measures will eliminate terrorism but may reduce the number and level of those that do occur.

If I understand correctly, the driver of the van was Moroccan, simply if he hadn't been allowed in the country in the first place maybe the attack would not have occurred.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:38 pm
EMR
Banned

Certainly not inevitable unless the current situation continues to be followed. Why not increase security ? Greater border control and vetting of people coming into country ? Attacking extremist clerics and deporting them or restricting their ability to preach hate. And yes more police. Yes none of these measures will eliminate terrorism but may reduce the number and level of those that do occur.

If I understand correctly, the driver of the van was Moroccan, simply if he hadn't been allowed in the country in the first place maybe the attack would not have occurred.
How would you deal with those who are not immigrants who have carried out similar acts.
I agree about vetting.
Anyone who believes in restricting our hard fought for freedoms should not be allowed into the UK be they a Muslim extremist or not.
You have referred to your own background, how would you like it off you were refused entry into any country because of it.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
How would you deal with those who are not immigrants who have carried out similar acts.
I agree about vetting.
Anyone who believes in restricting our hard fought for freedoms should not be allowed into the UK be they a Muslim extremist or not.
You have referred to your own background, how would you like it off you were refused entry into any country because of it.
In the US in the late 1980's and into the 1990's here were several extremist and violent right-wing groups that the government decided to make a concerted effort to deal with, and after a few years those groups were dealt with, as an example of dealing in a decisive manner with threats. So why not increase efforts to deal with such extremists, if from overseas deport them, if local, control them better. But to sit back and say inevitable and acceptable that the no further efforts should be made isn't in my opinion acceptable nor government officials doing their job.

If I were refused entry to a country in the unlikely event that anyone would consider my background indicating I fit a profile of a potential threat, so what ? Isnt the UK or US government first responsibility to protect their citizens ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.